inTank Media Baskets

75g Reef Tank by Andyk47

AndyK47

no, honestly i didn't do a whole lot of research into the drain pipe as my LFS guy didn't mention anything about the noise of it etc. I did put some "gutter guard" over the top so if a snail gets on it somehow he won't clog the drain. restricting the flow in the pipe reduced the noise by about 90% but i'm looking into the durso stand pipe....

You are getting a lot of noise from the drain pipe because there is no cap over the drain. Thus, the water is draining and air is getting trapped and making the noise when it comes up from inside the pipe. I would look into some different DIY drain pipe stands to silence it. I use a manufactured cap for a pipe stand called a "Maggie Muffler". It fits very easily over a 1.5'' pipe and is dead silent. It is based on the "Hoffer Gurgle Buster" or "Bell" design. Do some research and see what works for you. Once you cap it in the right fashion, you should be able to let the return pump push more water without making a ton of noise.

You are getting a lot of noise from the drain pipe because there is no cap over the drain. Thus, the water is draining and air is getting trapped and making the noise when it comes up from inside the pipe. I would look into some different DIY drain pipe stands to silence it. I use a manufactured cap for a pipe stand called a "Maggie Muffler". It fits very easily over a 1.5'' pipe and is dead silent. It is based on the "Hoffer Gurgle Buster" or "Bell" design. Do some research and see what works for you. Once you cap it in the right fashion, you should be able to let the return pump push more water without making a ton of noise.

I will be doing some homework on this when i get home, i appreciate the input!

Just an update, i took socal's advice and ordered the "mini maggie muffler" after a good bit of research... Been testing the water daily and my ammonia has been a steady .25 ppm, nitrites are at 0ppm, and nitrates are at 20ppm. Had to make some minor adjustments on drain pipe, cut it down about 1/4" to lower the water line just a little. added a koralia nano (that i had laying around) to the display tank, to add a little flow.

Went to the LFS yesterday and got some Chaeto and a few Mangroves just to add a little macro action. Also, didn't want to add anything to the tank that would die from too much ammonia, etc.

6835992561_10d63ff82e.jpg

Untitled by andyk47, on Flickr

Came home for lunch yesterday and got the maggie muffler in the mail. decided i'd install it since i had a few extra minutes. It was a little snug against my overflow but i worked it onto the drain pipe. Wasn't as quiet as i thought it would be, so i decided to adjust my ball valve a little to see if that would help, that's when i noticed the water dripping from the bulkhead!!!! I wasn't sure what to do so I tried to tighten the bulkhead, didn't work, couldn't get my arm/channel locks in position to turn it. Went back to work, came home and got down to work, for the life of me couldn't move the nut on the bulkhead. dripping was just getting worse. I realized when installing my bulkhead i made the biggest bonehead move ever, i used pvc cement on the damn bulkhead so it wasn't moving. Called the LFS and he had a bulkhead, so i had my wife pick it up on her way home. While waiting i moved my SW and FW trashcans onto the front porch, drained the entire tank into them and some buckets. was able to move the tank and got out my Dremel (great tool) and with some extremely careful cutting and slight prying (with flathead screwdriver) i managed to pop off the nut, then cut off the plumbing. i cleaned the overflow area thoroughly, dryed it as best i could and installed the new bulkhead making sure i used no silicone, pvc cement or anything else. Thankfully i head a handful of leftover plumbing parts and 1" pvc pipe and was able to replumb the tank and get it back going. Took altogether about 4 hours. Hopefully didn't set back my cycle too much, but oh well, lesson learned.

update on the tank, Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at 0. Diatom bloom is in full swing and starting to see pods and green algae in different places. Had to make some adjustments with the ball valve and ordered a gate valve to redo plumbing on the tank one last time. Having a little trouble with microbubbles from the skimmer going into the DT.

*anyone else have a large amount of air bubbles form on the diatoms? My diatoms are covered in bubbles, i turkey bastered them off for the pics, but am waiting to see if they come back and i'll post pics of that....

6872985499_30eabefe72.jpg

6872988441_3ea528451d.jpg

6872983047_3a93caace2.jpg

Swapped everything from my old 39g CADlights tank into my new 75 Saturday. Did a little plumbing before, nothing crazy. Everything seems to be happy in it's new home. The liverock placement didn't go exactly as planned but the end result was better than i had expected. Here's pics of the tank to date.....

6902505029_2afdea7147.jpg

6902507239_469ef1ee6f.jpg

6902509717_823606c999.jpg

6908449925_3cf0086293.jpg

6902511549_b7248a67ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got another little addition to the tank.... a small kole tang, is really friendly with the other fish, hasn't nipped at anybody and is eating. Had him about 3 days now.

6946736285_ffdeee7a8c.jpg

Just saw this. Well thought out flow box and scape!!!!!

Thanks all! overflow took a couple months to finish but that was mainly due to lack of time. Probably put a solid days worth of work on it, finished product has been great. have gutter guard around the pipe and glued to the overflow wall to keep critters out.

• 2 weeks later...

Took some pics at lunch, got some new fish in, been doing heavy waterchanges to stay up with the increasing bioload.

6976799115_a0122673c4.jpg

6830680296_1dfc07b855.jpg

6976803365_44a50d1973.jpg

6830685290_64b4b7c306.jpg

6830691816_7661ecb212.jpg

6976820059_596382772e.jpg