Coral Vue Hydros

Jamie's 1G Jar Pico

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

post-70787-1327935404_thumb.jpg

Based on another thread that I saw here, I've been thinking about this sort of ecosystem for a while...I set this up about 10 days ago, but haven't had a chance to post pics before now.

I bought a 1 gallon jar from amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-1-Gal...5485&sr=8-1

I added some dead sand, a nice-sized piece of rock, a smaller chunk of live rock, some chaeto from my fuge, some snails, a pair of asterina stars (you can see one in front of the chaeto if you look closely), and a couple of "core-samples" of sand and muck taken from the bottom of my 10G tank with the turkey baster.

I'm not sure of the longterm viability of this system because of the temp that we keep our house, and the lack of sunlight in Northern NY in wintertime, but so far things seem to be ticking along ok...I have a plant-based jar that's been sealed for years, and thrives in my house with only an occasional dusting...this SW jar will have to make it without additional input of heat or light, besides what it gets from the environment of my house.

Jamie

Looks interesting Jaime...There are a couple large glass jars at my work, probably about 3 gallons each...They've been sitting around for ages, I might just have to ask my chef if I can have one! So not powerheaqd or anything? I wouldn't be able to resting trying to over-engineer my jar through the roof...lol...But a little saltwater planted tank could be nice, especially if it ends up being minimal maintenance.

• 1 month later...
JamieSheffield

I'll take a pic tonight after work...it appears to be going well inside the jar. The chaeto is growing, the water is clear, the snails and stars cruise around the inside of the glass.

Jamie

• 1 month later...

How's this wee "tank" coming along? I'm interested in doing something similar and curious about the balance you have with this mix of critters. Pics?

JamieSheffield
How's this wee "tank" coming along? I'm interested in doing something similar and curious about the balance you have with this mix of critters. Pics?

Everything inside still seems alive, but it looks a bit funky...a lot of chaeto growth, skin on top of water, but the starfish and snails still cruise around...I think it's finding its balance point/ecology...

Jamei

• 5 months later...

Archived