ReefCleaners.org

Too Much Flow

nyknicks4412

I have a quick question, I am starting up a 10 gallon nano reef. Trying to keep a wide variety of corals with the ultimate goal of keeping SPS. Currently, the flow on the tank has 2 Koralia 425 gph powerheads and AquaC Nano Remora protein skimmer with the maxijet 900. I am wondering if I can implement the Aquaclear 70 HOB filter and modify it to become a refugium while not creating so much flow that everything cannot grow or live?

I personally ran a Koralia 750 and a AC70 on my 10 gallon for a bit and I found it was a bit much. But, anything short of sand storm shouldn't be an issue.

krackerjacksna

You cannot have to much flow, I have a 30 gallon, with a mp10 on 100%, 2 koralia 1050s, a reef octopus hob skimmer, and a ac70

You cannot have to much flow, I have a 30 gallon, with a mp10 on 100%, 2 koralia 1050s, a reef octopus hob skimmer, and a ac70

Doesn't create sandstorms?

thanks for the replies everyone! so as long as sand isn't being stirred up the fish or corals won't be held back by a high flow?

thanks for the replies everyone! so as long as sand isn't being stirred up the fish or corals won't be held back by a high flow?

Nope. Part of the key here is that the stuff you are using isn't really a concentrated jet of water. I still wouldn't point the koralia at a piece three inches away, but otherwise, the more flow the better for sps. The major difference you will see with very high flow is the fact that the branches of your sps will grow much thicker and you'll end up with stout colonies. They'll be putting out the same amount of aragonite, but it might appear to be growing slower because they're growing thick instead of out.

Most fish love high currents, but stuff like some cardinals, seahorses, pipefish, etc might not like it as much. I see my clowns go current surfing in my vortech's stream on a pretty regular basis.

Archived