Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How long would you wait for corals?

MrSkumfrog

I set my tank up 2weeks ago and I believe that it's cycled. I have had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates for 1 week. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait another 2 weeks before I add a mushroom or something hardy. Should I wait longer? How many weeks should I wait with stable parameters before I add any corals?

28 gallon

40 lbs live sand

1/4 lb of live rock rubble in the filter

3/4 lb live rock in the tank

I set my tank up 2weeks ago and I believe that it's cycled. I have had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates for 1 week. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait another 2 weeks before I add a mushroom or something hardy. Should I wait longer? How many weeks should I wait with stable parameters before I add any corals?

28 gallon

40 lbs live sand

1/4 lb of live rock rubble in the filter

3/4 lb live rock in the tank

Wait another 2 weeks to be sure.

Patience is key.

Well it looks like you already have a fish so you haven't been waiting thus far. I would wait a 2 more weeks and see where you're at before adding anything else.

I would lose the rubble in the filter.. and do you really only have 1/4 lb of LR in the tank (didn't watch the vid).

Either way, if you already have a fish in there and your tests are reading 0, there's no reason to wait any longer. Obviously, you're good. Toss in some Zoas or Xenia or something, should be fine.

I would lose the rubble in the filter.. and do you really only have 1/4 lb of LR in the tank (didn't watch the vid).

Either way, if you already have a fish in there and your tests are reading 0, there's no reason to wait any longer. Obviously, you're good. Toss in some Zoas or Xenia or something, should be fine.

I have 35 lbs of Reef-Saver rock; 1lb live rock; 40 lbs of live sand.

I have 35 lbs of Reef-Saver rock; 1lb live rock; 40 lbs of live sand.

Yeah. Wait a few weeks before adding anything else.

Well it looks like you already have a fish so you haven't been waiting thus far. I would wait a 2 more weeks and see where you're at before adding anything else.

Yes, I had been waiting. I set the tank up, I had elevated ammonia/nitrates from the get go that resolved by day 4. I then got a fish and then two crabs the following day. My parameters have been great since. Will there be another spike I wonder? I did have 40 lbs of live sand with some ammonia brewing 1 week prior to setting the tank up.

My ammonia spiked after I added a couple fish, but they handled it with one small water change and was back to 0a short while after. I would wait, but that is just me. I'm cheap and don't want anything to die. Mine has been up 3 months, but i'm not adding any coral, till I get both fish eating pellets.

Archived