ReefCleaners.org

Duncan Coral Tissue Loss

ReeferReefer

I have had my Duncan coral frag for a couple of weeks now in my 10 gallon nano that is about 2 months old. I have a zoa and mushroom frag also.

Seems like there is some tissue loss on my duncan. The "skin" over the skeleton is receding and I can see the white skeleton underneath.

I did an extra water change and tested my tank. everything seems fine.

I dont know if this could effect it but I have had an outbreak of brown, green algea and some cyano too.

What do you think is happening?

Algae unless it's on the coral Itself won't worsen flesh receding. Do you spot feed them? My rose cup coral would randomly have chunks missing and have a skeleton visible, and I found out my pep shrimp was taking the food out from inside of the coral when I walked away. Literally digging into it.

I Should also ask, what is your flow, and placement in your tank along with the shroom and zoas. Could be stinging or the flow pushing/ pulling the flesh off.

Had it in medium flow but I just switched it to a lower flow spot. They might be getting to much light from my LEDs? Seem to open up more at night.

Retested and it looks like I might have around .2-.25 ammonia levels.

Only inverts right now are a astrea snail and a hermit crab.

Watch the hermit around it. I'm not sure how many heads there are, but it could or possible that the ammonia is from the cor itself dieing. Honestly tho, I've had spikes of .25 from adding fish and such and everything. Was fine within a day or so. No recession. Lights would make it bleach before it started to die. Hopefully it was the flow and moving it will fix the problem. Was the direction of the flow matching up with the damage?

How is everything else, and are all o your known snails accounted for?

Only one snail right now. Hermit crab seems to stay mostly on the live rock.

The damage may have something to do with the flow. Thing is that the flow was indirect. Hopefully putting it in a lower flow area might help.

Sucks because its been such a healthy and beautiful coral.

Your calc and alk are swinging in that little tank. Number one killer of LPS. Get and keep your tank stable. Test the water everday for 1 week before you reply back that your params are perfect. Seen this a 1000 times. You will be surprised how much a small tank swings.

Besides the tissue loss my Duncan seems to be acting normal.

the flesh over its skeleton should grow back right?

Nope not if you do not keep it stable. They start like this and slowly wither away. Duncans are the Xenia of LPS pretty hard to kill.

Ill go get a calc and alk tests tomorrow. Can you give me some advice on what to dose or what to do to get those levels more stable? My nutrients are not bad and I am doing weekly 10% changes in hy 10 gallon. Perhaps bigger water changes would help?

Test your parameters everyday at end of light cycle for 1 week. Keep a paper with the #'s on it. If your levels drop on the 3rd or 4th day do a waterchange every 4 days and it will be stable. You should not have to dose yet. The waterchanges should keep it stable.

This is what I needed to know. Thanks for the help. This is my first SW tank, let alone nano so things like this keep hitting me in the face. But I love my tank already!

So besides testing Ammonia and Nitrite I should test Calcium and Alk? Anything else I should be testing for?

When I go to pick up the test kits I think im going to get some Purigen to try and slow down some cyano growth.

You need to test for phosphates. That is what gives you the nuisance algae. Purigen is just a water polisher. Phosguard is what you need to remove phosphates or step up the waterchanges. Cyano is usually controlled with more water flow and waterchanges. Cyano likes to grow in low flow areas. Keep your live rock clean from detrius with a turkey baster as well. Blast the live rock with water from a turkey baster tank water that is. This will suspend the detrius into the water and the filter will remove it.

This is what I needed to know. Thanks for the help. This is my first SW tank, let alone nano so things like this keep hitting me in the face. But I love my tank already!

So besides testing Ammonia and Nitrite I should test Calcium and Alk? Anything else I should be testing for?

When I go to pick up the test kits I think im going to get some Purigen to try and slow down some cyano growth.

once your tank is fully cycled, you shouldn't need ammonia or nitrite... I only test nitrAte, phosphate, alk, and cal

Archived