Top Shelf Aquatics

Help me figure out why my snails are dying.

w1dude

My water parameters are fine. I orginally thought my snails were dying becayuse of my copperband butterfly. BUT he died during a power outage.

I have struggled with snails for over a year. I can keep fish and even SPS alive, but NOT snails. I have been having a bit of a red algae problem. I think this is because I have a 20 gallon chateo tank, and I have a pretty big light on it for 10 hours a day. I am cutting this time down.

Anyways, the snails are not being starved. Give me some ideas, why I cannot keep snails alive!

My water parameters are fine. I orginally thought my snails were dying becayuse of my copperband butterfly. BUT he died during a power outage.

I have struggled with snails for over a year. I can keep fish and even SPS alive, but NOT snails. I have been having a bit of a red algae problem. I think this is because I have a 20 gallon chateo tank, and I have a pretty big light on it for 10 hours a day. I am cutting this time down.

Anyways, the snails are not being starved. Give me some ideas, why I cannot keep snails alive!

How many snails are we talking? Ive noticed my snail population, especially dwarf ceriths, naturally regulates itself. If i have more algae i tend to notice more snails, then if i have low algae, i will see a die off.

Do you have a hawk fish or somthing of the sort? What other inverts do you have? do you have problems with crabs/shrimp?

How many snails are we talking? Ive noticed my snail population, especially dwarf ceriths, naturally regulates itself. If i have more algae i tend to notice more snails, then if i have low algae, i will see a die off.

Do you have a hawk fish or somthing of the sort? What other inverts do you have? do you have problems with crabs/shrimp?

Nothing I have harms the snails. I have clowns, a hippo tank, and watchman goby.

I only have probably 2 turbos 3 nerite alive... I've tried every type of snails. I kept emerald crabs and banded shrimp alive before my power outage. Everything but snails!

Wht were the types that died? My lfs that is supposedly "the best" swears up and down that they are selling baby turbo snails, and deny that they are margarita snails, which can't really withstand reef temps.

I had a similar prob, finally found one that was in the posses of dying. Turned him over to see what the deuce and found a small orange snail eating him. Don't know if it was the cause of my snails dying or not. But since I killed that snail I haven't had any problems. I will look for an id as I have yet to do. It was the size of a grain of rice, orange-ish with white shell

Not much info I could find but my best guess is mine was a Volvarina brasiliana snail.

Edited by floppybass
I had a similar prob, finally found one that was in the posses of dying. Turned him over to see what the deuce and found a small orange snail eating him. Don't know if it was the cause of my snails dying or not. But since I killed that snail I haven't had any problems. I will look for an id as I have yet to do. It was the size of a grain of rice, orange-ish with white shell

Not much info I could find but my best guess is mine was a Volvarina brasiliana snail.

Weird... distinct possibility, but i have never heard of this before.

i can't keep turbo snails alive. bought two. within a couple days both dead. caught 6 more. all died. didn't last a week. waited a few months bought two more. one died. Last one has been alive for a couple weeks. not sure if its hermit crabs, other snails or the pair of coral banded shrimp but after this last one died, i took out all the big hermit crabs and two large snails, and this last one is still alive.

The only other thing i can think of "besides them being cold water snails" is that sometimes high magnesium levels can kill snails and make them act very strange... what is your mag at?

its a long shot... but that's all i got

The only other thing i can think of "besides them being cold water snails" is that sometimes high magnesium levels can kill snails and make them act very strange... what is your mag at?

its a long shot... but that's all i got

May not be a bad idea. I try keeping my mag at 1400. BUT it varries a lot, because I am very lazy with dosing. I will test when I get home again, since I just had some die!

Maybe you just don't have enough of what they need to eat? try some algae wafers maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they definitely have enough!

what type of dead snails do you have still in shells or empty shells? after i had a power outage i got some algae thought nothing of it ended up being dinos and it kills snails fast . just a thought.

Could be the clowns... the ones I had were very territorial and would knock snails of rocks and glass. Eventually this would stress them out and sometimes would lead to death. Its unlikely though... maybe a hidden hitch hiker?

How do you acclimate? A lot of stores keep systems at lower salinities to help slow/prevent spread of ick and other diseases. I would ask what their salinity is at and do a drip acclimation. At the very least open the bag or cut just under the knot, add 1/4 cup your water (assuming there is 3-4 cups of water in the bag they gave you) to the bag ever 10 mins until bag is full; then empty half of it, and repeat the process and it'll be ready the second time it's full. I do this to all but the most sensitive creatures like clams and shrimps. Err... Corals I float and dunk (mail orders mostly).

I'm having a similar issue as well, my 7 snails are now down to 4 (maybe) in a matter of 4 weeks...I really don't have any livestock, besides some crabs and shrimp.

I do have a bristle worm, do you think it could be that stinging them?

Yeah, I've had this problem too. So far, the dino theory is the only suggestion that matches anything going on in my tank. I've tried long acclimation times and just about everything you can imagine and within a week or two every snail added is toast. The only other thing I've had problems with are anemone. Pretty much the same sad outcome. Everything else seems to be doing great. Tagging along on this one...

I have to agree. I have 3 fish, 3 hermits and a clearer shrimp with no issues at all. Added 3 trochus snails and within 4 days they were dead. Everything else is healthy.

• 7 years later...

I have a fairly healthy fish tank with a few corals.  About 2 months ago, a million tiny snails appeared!  Now, my blue hippo has a parasite that looks like giant pimples.  I was told to

put him in fresh water for 5 to 10 minutes. That would kill the parasite and not my fish.  I'm wondering if this burst of snails created a parasitic environment. Just today, I noticed 2 large snails upside down.  Nothing appeared on them and they didn't react when I turned them over.  If you think my tank is stressed, you should see me! P.s. dunked my hippo in fresh water for 7 minutes (he started fainting) took him out.  Now he's just mad at me and still has parasites! I hope they die a painful death and my fish lives.

57 minutes ago, Shelleymarie said:

I have a fairly healthy fish tank with a few corals.  About 2 months ago, a million tiny snails appeared!  Now, my blue hippo has a parasite that looks like giant pimples.  I was told to

put him in fresh water for 5 to 10 minutes. That would kill the parasite and not my fish.  I'm wondering if this burst of snails created a parasitic environment. Just today, I noticed 2 large snails upside down.  Nothing appeared on them and they didn't react when I turned them over.  If you think my tank is stressed, you should see me! P.s. dunked my hippo in fresh water for 7 minutes (he started fainting) took him out.  Now he's just mad at me and still has parasites! I hope they die a painful death and my fish lives.

Blue hippos are a magnet for disease as our tanks are generally not large enough for them and they can't school with other hippos. Stress makes the disease show.

Dipping in FW may bring temperary relief but will not cure. ALL fish would have to be removed from the tank and treated with proven methods and then the tank left with zero fish for 76 days to starve out the parasite.

Tangs... especially blue tangs are not even worth the trouble imo. They live 20 years but will never see their full life span in our home tanks. They will likey develop lateral line disease or some other problem before reaching old age.

If the fish is left in the tank...all you can do is feed lots of nori dipped in selcon...good frozen like LRS and live black worms and such to boost immunity.