Innovative Marine Aquariums

28G JBJ Nano Cube LED as a reef tank?

iball1804

I'm trying to get a friend to join and he's interested in the 28g JBJ Nano Cube (LED version). Has anyone had any experience/advice about this tank?

All advice, either positive or negative is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

I'm trying to get a friend to join and he's interested in the 28g JBJ Nano Cube (LED version). Has anyone had any experience/advice about this tank?

All advice, either positive or negative is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

This is my main tank right now. Honestly I'm not sure about it. The LEDs work great, but it's bleached out a couple of different corals in my tank... mainly just an elegance but those are hard to keep anyways. You need to buy a separate timer for it which can be a pain but once you have that you should be good to go. I don't see a lot of other negatives except for the HORRIBLE stock media basket.... InTank has one for a JBJ 28g. I just bought one so when it comes I'll let you know if I remember and see how it works.

I'm also interested in what people have to say about it. The LFS I bought mine from was pure SPS. No LPS or softies. The light is a little yellow but if you keep the blue dawn lights on mixed with the daylights it cancels out some of the yellowish tint.

• 1 month later...

Are you talking about the 89w or the "intermediate" 27w??? I have the lowly intermediate version and am waiting for the upgrade to come. As a noob, I have been doing the basic corals for the most part and they LOVE this tank:

Kenya Tree has gone ape#### and is going to get hacked down when the new tank comes

Assorted BLEACHED zoas are getting color back after 2 weeks in there

Open Brain is happy

Green Mushroom already had a baby after 3 weeks

Bubble Coral has grown HUGE

Galaxia is spreading off it's disc

Hammer has started a new stalk

Rics are just amazing right now

Pipe organ has flower buds going EVERYWHERE!

I also found 3w LED light strips for the upgrade to this model and may do a partial switch out once I see how the new tank looks. I thought I read somewhere that the pro version had a dimmer option? I could be wrong as I have so much info swirling in this noob head - I get a little confused sometimes. ;)

• 1 month later...
sjnovakovich

I've had one since last October. Set it up and let it mature until January. I have acro, zoas, ric, favia, and acan. All are growing like crazy!

• 1 month later...
I have the LED Pro model. Love it.

I recently switched my tank om a 24 with power compacts to the 28 pro led. Went to the fish store today and they were talking major trash on the system. Said it was too bright and then that it would not support SPS. Anyone growing SPS in their tanks or had major problems with the light being too bright.

I have the LED version. I only have 2 SPS corals so far...different colors stylophora. Both are a few weeks old and seen to be doing OK. Light too bright? I don't know. With just the "daylights" on, it is not very attractive...to stark white. I always keep the moonlights and/or sunrise sunset lights on at the same time as the daylights and it's not so stark looking.

So far so good for my fish and corals. I like it. I like my car, too, but some people think it is "lame," as well. To each his own.

I've had mixed results with SPS. Birdsnest (green and pink) are doing spectacularly just above 1/2 way up. Green Slimer turned brown at 1/3 from bottom - the color returned when I moved it to my tank with less light. An unidentified acro is doing well, but not much color (at this point maybe yellow polyps) 6 inches from the lights. I think it's too bright all in all.

As for LPS Sponge Bob is happy at 1/2 way, Alveopora is growing like mad in lower 1/2, Acans are multiplying like crazy with some mild color changes, Zoa's are spreading all over, and Rics aren't quite sure if they are happy.

That is my experience so far.

• 1 year later...
fretfreak13

I'm resurrecting this!

A friend of mine is looking to get her first reef tank and is considering this one. I don't have it and don't know anyone personally that does.

Any more current reviews on this tank? Since she's new to the hobby I don't expect her to be dipping her feet in SPS anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

DON'T get one! You will regret it! My NC 28 had so many flaws in it that you don't even notice until the tank starts leaking or your $60 media basket won't fit in the back compartment. Many people have had theirs leak and burst open all you have to do is search.

I had the HQI version and it was pretty bulletproof, minus the difficulty in fitting pumps and such in the rear of an AIO.

Based on the limits of the LED model, I would prefer to pick up a cheap T5 version and retrofit it with my own LED build.

I had this tank and I had a hair line crack the first time, jbj replaced it but I just ended up selling it for a deep blue 30gallon. Its a nice tank if you dont want to deal with sumps and plumbing, but I just couldnt stand the curved glass.

The back compartments are so cramped too. I had to get a giant HOB Skimmer, BRS Media reactor, etc. It was pretty ridiculous looking. IMO if I were to do it again I would have drilled an ADA 60-H. Pretty much the same tank size but a lot less of an eyesore and a lot more flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...
Paandemonium

It's a great tank if it doesn't burst open lol mine burst and the replacement had a leak the third one was fine though.

The lights worked for me for anything and everything but it does need an extra powerhead for movement and I removed the stock media basket and replaced it with one I made and I also put a HOB skimmer in there.

If your friend does purchase one make sure s/he gets them from an LFS with a warranty for replacement in case it does burst, otherwise it's a nice tank

I got the itch to set mine up again.

Cleaned it up a bit. Let it set out over night.

Next day the sun put a big ole crack in it. Empty, no water.

20130806_162853.jpg

Paandemonium

I got the itch to set mine up again.

Cleaned it up a bit. Let it set out over night.

Next day the sun put a big ole crack in it. Empty, no water.

20130806_162853.jpg

At least you didn't wake up in the middle of the night to a loud CRACK and water gushing out lol not the best wake up call at 2 am

Archived