Cultivated Reef

260 Gallon Reef Tank ~ A 7 Footer!

TheWAND

Great pictures! I try to get detailed pictures with my 50mm macro and I can't do it. I agree a chiller is a must on any tank. How much temp swing are you having?

As for backup equipment theres a lot of reefers here in socal if you need to borrow my pump. I have my mag 9 in my garage as my backup ready to go.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I have to ask. How to you get such beautiful fish and black back grounds? Is it post processing? Is it your really fast prime? What should I be focusing to get that amazing contrast that you have in these photos?

Ok, so I have to ask. How to you get such beautiful fish and black back grounds? Is it post processing? Is it your really fast prime? What should I be focusing to get that amazing contrast that you have in these photos?

There's two methods of getting black backgrounds. Both require that you keep your back glass clean.

The method I used in the photos on this thread are by simply bumping up black levels. It works, but it raises contrast to the point where photos look oversaturated. I've since moved on to a new method which I like a lot more.

What I do now is use shadow clipping. In Lightroom, there is a graph of sorts under "Tone Curve." I can make darker sections look more bright, and I can also make lighter sections darker. Here is what my average tone curve will look like.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at93714PM_zpsd280c56

Any picture updates for this tank?

Not much to see at this point. The reef has been dismantled and will be more geared for fish only. Most of the coral will be in safe keeping until I get my 40B up and running.

Archived