Coral Vue Hydros

Olasana Lagoon

coprolite

Haven't had a tank since 2006.

Tank: 20 gallon long

Lighting: 400 watt Iwasaki and natural sunlight

Filtration: DIY air-driven skimmer, Fluval U2, GAC

Control: Neptune Apex Lite

Top off: Saturated Kalkwasser supplied by powerhead, controlled by float switch.

Circulation: Vortech MP10

Goal: Coral garden, little rock, mostly Acropora. Tank has been up since November. Started adding Acropora frags two weeks ago.

6747110749_3d94bcc29b_z.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnznJH6XTUY&hd=1

Not that you asked, but I would paint the back of the tank.

Also, you have a 400 watt bulb on that tank? Nice.

Yup.

This frag was brown when I added it two weeks ago:

6784099937_7eff06f6e9_b.jpg

6752355855_597490a67a_b.jpg

I saw this system on RC and was very pleased with the overall setup. I am glad to see someone using warmer lighting and plenty of it, too. Used to be a very popular choice and obviously worked very well. Interestingly enough, corals were also colorful back then when people used these lamps. Must be the voodoo.

I agree... a black background would look better than the wall..

I'm obsessed with keeping all the side glass clean, I don't like backgrounds either. To each their own!

I saw this system on RC and was very pleased with the overall setup. I am glad to see someone using warmer lighting and plenty of it, too. Used to be a very popular choice and obviously worked very well. Interestingly enough, corals were also colorful back then when people used these lamps. Must be the voodoo.

Thanks! Yeah, with todays lighting, super blue and disco ball LEDs I don't know how people can tell whether their corals are actually colorful or not!

I have been an advocate of Iwasaki since 1999. I have seen reefs from the Dry Tortugas to Vanuatu to the Solomon Islands and NOT ONE OTHER BULB that I have ever seen looks more like a real shallow reef. Not to mention the ridiculous PAR on top of it. People who think they are actually yellow have 1) never seen the real thing 2) need to run some GAC or do some water changes. IMHO. Iwasakis need zero supplementation.

The only LED I've seen that comes close is the XP-G R5 as far as color rendition goes. I'm using them on a cold growing orchidarium.

Archived