Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JellyFrish's 9G Eheim Aquastyle Reef

JellyFrish

Wanted to introduce myself and my tank to the nano-reef community. I credit this website and the friendly members for giving me much of the information and inspiration to get started in this fascinating hobby.

I'd like to give a little back by documenting my experience with the tank in the hopes it will help others and myself. The couple Aquastyle reefs I have seen online didn't seem to fare so well. I'm hoping to reverse that trend.

So, let's go:

Personal experience: Zip, nada, zero

Tank: Eheim Aquastyle 35l (~9g)

Light: Started with stock Eheim light, upgraded to Elos E-light to make the corals pop. I think I'm blasting them, though. This will be used until Eheim releases their more powerful, blue-containing LED's. I understand the release date is very soon. I look forward to this because the stock Eheim light is very slick, only 11W, and you can power up to two of them on the rail.

Filtration: Stock Eheim corner filter with sponge, purigen, substrat-pro "bioballs", and Chemi-pure elite all wedged in there.

Flow: Hydor nano 425GPH = 46.2X

Live rock: Aqucultured, cured

Heater: Eheim Jager 50W

Water: RO water from laboratory source

Salt: Red Sea Pro

Cycle: Very quick, no ammonia spike, mild nitrite spike for 3 days, then all 0/0/0, currently stable at 0/0/0.

Current inhabitants: 2 "nano" clowns. From Sea and Reef in Franklin, ME. Mated pair. These are bred for size and will not exceed 3/4", 1 emerald crab (R.I.P. thanks to candy cane shrimp), reef cleaners CUC, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 aurora goby, 1 Candy cane pistol shrimp.

Corals: Pulsing Xenia, Frogspawn, pink zoas, green dragon eye zoas, gonoporia, hammer coral, candy cane, and what I think is pavona.

Any questions, comments and advice are very much welcomed. I will continue to document progress. So far, so good. Params are stable, evaporation is minimal/nonexistent due to the tight fitting glass top, and the corals are fully extended and appear very healthy.

LR and stock light cycling for a week:

P1050027.JPG

Fish, corals, and an Elos E-lite blasting the tank:

IMG_1806.jpg

looks like an awesome start. that rock is really cool

Thanks, The guy at the LFS had an aquastyle in the store, so we test fit a couple of pieces. I wanted one large piece rather than a pile of rubble. Same with the coral. Instead of a scattered collection of small frags, I wanted one centerpiece.

Also, Jr, noticed the livestock list in your 12" "deep blue" tank includes 2 brittle stars. Which kind do you have? Can they survive in such a small tank? I was under the impression <10G could not satisfy their feeding requirements.

Please give me some more information on these clowns.

Either they lied to you... or they exist. If they exist I want badly.

Well, I took the dealer's word at face value, but your post made me research it a little more. Turns out ORA sometimes runs across "stubby" clownfish that are perfectly healthy, but missing a vertebrae. This is not a result of a breeding program, just a natural genetic variability. In fact, they generally do not make a big effort to try and sell them. They are smaller than normal, so that part is correct, but they do not stay as small as I was told by the LFS.

The bigger problem is that ORA didn't sell them any stubby clowns recently, so the mystery deepens as to what exactly they are. I'm going to follow up further. ---> After further review, they are indeed perfectly healthy "nano" clowns bred by Sea and Reef in Maine

Well, I took the dealer's word at face value, but your post made me research it a little more. Turns out ORA sometimes runs across "stubby" clownfish that are perfectly healthy, but missing a vertebrae. This is not a result of a breeding program, just a natural genetic variability. In fact, they generally do not make a big effort to try and sell them. They are smaller than normal, so that part is correct, but they do not stay as small as I was told by the LFS.

The bigger problem is that ORA didn't sell them any stubby clowns recently, so the mystery deepens as to what exactly they are. I'm going to follow up further.

I recently talked to ORA about getting a stubby about a week ago. They are actually free. They typically give them out to try and get them homes so they don't need to be culled. They said I can have a few if they ship to my LFS. I wonder how long they get.

I recently talked to ORA about getting a stubby about a week ago. They are actually free. They typically give them out to try and get them homes so they don't need to be culled. They said I can have a few if they ship to my LFS. I wonder how long they get.

Yeah, I don't know. If they outgrow the tank, I guess it's a good excuse for "upgrade time!". By the way, they are perfectly healthy. Mine are extremely active and eat heartily, so it's not like they they have health issues.

Just to change topics off of mutant fish, which never goes well...

If anyone out there has experience with Substrat-pro, let me know. Seems like most people do not use bio-balls due to the concern over nitrate production. I can certainly see this as hard smooth plastic in a wet/dry configuration couldn't possibly support anerobic zones for nitrate breakdown. I've seen some aquastyle users dump the substrat and put in chemi-pure. Is this good, or over-thinking it? As a total noob, I've been using substrat-pro balls, and my nitrates are zero. I bought some chemi-pure to replace the balls, but thought maybe I might crash my seemingly well-running biological filtration capacity.

Jelly - It works just fine, but with your sand/live rock they really aren't needed. Save the space and go with more purigen/charcoal/chemipure etc.

The Aquastyle is a great looking tank - glad you upgraded the light, that was the biggest issue I had with it.

Please give me some more information on these clowns.

Either they lied to you... or they exist. If they exist I want badly.

OK I found out the scoop on the clowns. They are indeed nano clowns bred for small size by Sea and Reef Aquaculture in Maine. They apparently grow 1/10 the rate/size of normal clowns, but are totally healthy and happy. The guy who runs the LFS I go to is very meticulous and he too was skeptical at first, but he reported that he's had a "test pair" for 6 months without significant growth increases. He also checked out some of their breeding pairs and they were tiny. So, they are real nanos NOT stubbies from ORA as previously posted. I have corrected my original post.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the 6 gallon Aquastyle for a shrimp tank. How did you get the lid to fit with the heater? I can't seem to wedge my heater cord behind the filter to fit.

Love your clowns.

Hrmm... I'm a little curious about my clowns now. I recently got a pair of clowns that were labeled nano's at the LFS, but I assumed they were simply small clowns (false percula), and would grow. I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't mind you, but planned for them to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the evaporation rate on these? Could you get away with everything running smoothly without topping it off for a week (say gone on vacation)?

What is the evaporation rate on these? Could you get away with everything running smoothly without topping it off for a week (say gone on vacation)?

I'd be worried about that. Cutting your light cycle a bit could help, and a glass top will lower evap.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very pleasantly surprised at the low evaporation rate with the glass lid in place. I have an ATO, but I have not gotten around to figuring it out yet. The past few weeks have been very dry and it's running about 500ml (1/2 liter) of RO water weekly for top-off. Earlier this winter, it was about 2/3 that rate. The warm light on top prevents condensation on the glass. With the cool-running Eheim light, there is more condensation (see picture #1) but most of it drips right back in the tank.

That is with the caveat of the glass top not fitting as tightly as possible because of the thick heater cable. I was thinking of bringing it down to the glass shop to cut a notch in it.

A neat feature of the glass top in these units is there is a 1" hole in the top (again, Pic #1) for feeding without removing the top. I actually pour the top off water right through that hole in the top.

Just bought the 6 gallon Aquastyle for a shrimp tank. How did you get the lid to fit with the heater? I can't seem to wedge my heater cord behind the filter to fit.

Love your clowns.

Thanks, the ridiculously thick heater cable just runs over the back edge. The glass does not lay flush in the back. I was contemplating getting a notch cut in the lid to accommodate.

• 2 weeks later...

Newest FTS with gonoporia, hammer, and pavona coral (I think). Since I took these pictures, the gonoporia has settled in, and it extends triple what is seen here. Took about a month to really adapt.

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Gonoporia fully extended, aurora goby poking his head out (below the frogspawn), Pavona looks like it's bleaching/turning brown. Need some help with this one.

IMG_1995.jpg

Archived