ReefCleaners.org

Need help! Sick fish.

UNKOWNHERO

Ok so i had suspected my clown may have had something for a day or two now becuase his one fin had a white look to it so i've been keeping an eye on him. Today i awoke to find the fin i was watching is practically half gone and his other pectoral fin has a small whole in it and his tail fin appears to have the same similar white hue to it that i had been originally watching. He also seems to be holding his mouth open now. He is swimming about normally still and i just feed him and he ate his normal amount. I'm not sure how his fins got that bad over the course of the night i suspect my emerald crab or hermits may have tried to go for him while he slept. However needless to say i think he has fin rot if this sounds right to anyone else. I checked my water prams and everything but nitrates were on. nitrates were at 10ppm. unfortunately i have about 40 mins till i go to work. I've started to run r/o for a mass water change when i can get to it. I'll have time tomorrow if he makes it to then. I spot fed my crabs to make sure they aren't starving if they did go after him so they are a little less hungry, not that that will pry protect him but couldnt hurt. I'm considering setting up a qt tank but idk i was thinking id just try for a mass water change and maybe go pick up some special food or additive with vitamin c to boost his immune system tomorrow. Any advice? or does this sound good?

I've also shut down my one power head in the corner he likes because it appeared to be giving him a hard time swimming. I figure the the less stress the better.

altolamprologus

Sounds like fin rot. Quarantine with erythromycin and he should be ok. It moves fast though so you need to do that tonight.

its midnight i cant go to the store but im currently setting up a qt tank.

plan on going asap tomorrow if hes not dead.

altolamprologus
its midnight i cant go to the store but im currently setting up a qt tank.

plan on going asap tomorrow if hes not dead.

Oh sorry I forgot about different time zones. He should still be alive tomorrow morning. IIRC when my mandarin got it I didn't start treating until the third day and she made it just fine. BTW I believe erythromycin is packaged as maracyn 2. It should say what medicine it is on the back

I have an old box of fish stuff that my friend got from a guy who breed clowns. I found this vita chem stuff i don't think it'll cure it but it says its got a bunch of vitamins and helps with fin regeneration and preventing lateral erosion i'm thinking about adding some to the qt tank but idk if i should. anyone have an opinion on the stuff or whether i should?

any new addition? for a clownfish I always treat with Paraguard, especially when I don't know the source of the infection, bacterias or parasites. Paraguard work really well for brooklynella which is what your clown might have. It is a fast killer.

i added a rbta about two weeks ago. but that was the only thing ive had him for about 3 weeks.

He seems to be having trouble breathing hes staying at the top of the tank and keeps going to the surface. His QT tank is about up to temp i just got an air bubbeler in it for air with a heater. Should there be anything else?

I got him in a 10g QT tank for now. Hes still going to the top to breath it looks like even with the bubbeler in the water. My LFS opens at 12 tomorrow which is when i get done with class fortunately so i'll go pick up some medicine then if hes still alive before i leave. About 70% of his right pectoral fin is gone though from just the course of today and his left fin has a small piece gone and his tail fin has one split in it currently. It's moving quite fast. :angry: He'll be just like nemo if he lives with a bum fin. Going to take a long time to heal up.

altolamprologus

If it is fin rot (well actually a systemic infection-fin rot is just a symptom, but it's easier to say), it progresses extremely rapidly. Like you said, the fish can lose whole fins overnight. IME it takes about a month of being fed very well with a variety of high quality foods to grow fins completely back. They do go back to normal though so you don't have to worry about having a nemo fish. Good luck with the treatment. I would also slowly lower the salinity by a couple points to ease the burden on the fish and let him dedicate more energy to getting better.

Yeah i mixed up the QT tank to just a slightly lower salinity so there would be more oxygen for him to breath however i woke up this morning and he didn't make it. He hadn't been dead for very long by the looks of it two hours tops pry bc i only slept for 5 hours and he was still kickin when i went to bed but it looked like he was on his last legs then though, he was breathing very heavily and fast. He really picked the worst day to get sick :angry: Ugh time to start saving money up for a new fish. Really liked him to he had a lot of character and was a really good looking fish.

Archived