Top Shelf Aquatics

38G Nuvo Stocking Plan

Owl's_Head

I just set up my 38G Nuvo on Tuesday, and have started to think about what I'm going to put in it.

Do you all think that this will work, or work together?

I know that I want to get this Mimic Saddle Puffer, which I'm willing to try as far as "Reef Safe" goes for a bit. I hear it's hit or miss on whether or not that snack on your coral.

I'm seeing 30G Minimum, and 3-4in on that.

I also wanted to get 2 Black Clowns. 2-3in

1 Green Clown Goby. 1-2in

1 Dwarf Angel: I'm looking at this Red Stripe Angelfish, or Rusty Angelfish (Though I see the Red Stripe gets 6in?)

So I'd have 5 fish I guess, is that too many? Could I squeeze in another smaller one like a fire-fish? Is the Angel too big?

Any other cool fish suggestions, I'm just going down the list at liveaquaria sorting by 30G...

But I've had my eye on the Mimic for some time.

Here's my tank: It's 38G, but there's only 31-32G in the tank including the back area, the "Built in sump"/filter.

The main display part is 24 inches left to right, 14 inches front to back, and 19 inches high. I believe the display is holding about 25-26G

10xeck8.jpg

I would skip the pufferfish, too messy. IMO a small angelfish, pair of clowns, and clown goby is not that much for a 38 gallon considering the clown goby is so small.

Well it's a mimic puffer, it's actually a filefish.

Still messy?

I really don't know much about files

Oops! I thought you were talking about the pufferfish, a filefish is a great choice. They are very odd. They can pick on stuff, I'd still have some good filtration no matter what.

It seems like a cool fish...

I just have the standard Nuvo filtration; Dual overflow into a 3 stage filter with activated carbon, mechanical sponge, and phosphate sponge.

34lbs of LR, 20lb in the display and 14lbs of rubble in the back.

The back is big... Like 5 in by 24 in

Would any type of Wrasse fit in my tank?

I know people put the 6-Line in smaller tanks, but I'm afraid of the aggressiveness (Though I'm sure it's hit or miss like everything)

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse looks pretty cool... Liveaquaria says 10G only.

Problem with half the fish I'm looking at is I've never seen them at any stores; guess I'd have to order everything.

sglw7t.jpg

Just seems weird to a semi-newb to have a fish shipped to your house. B)

Here's the Mimic I was talking about.

pair_100617_PS.jpg

That's definitely a puffer :lol:

Ha, well that's what the Mimics look like at least.

I think the mimic has 2 dorsal fins... They're hard to find photos of online.

And there's not a ton of threads about them either. I guess they're easy to confuse.

Well I just have this vision in my head of a fish in a tiny styrofoam box put in your mailbox by the mailman.

I'd rather pay a bit extra or whatever the policy is and have a LFS deal with the logistic, and I assume keeping it for a bit making sure it's healthy and stuff.

If you were to order online, would now be a bad time with the cold weather? Better in spring?

I've had several successful purchases online. Live Aquaria ships their fish in triple-sealed bags. Bags surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. Very secure. Corals are floated upside down attached to styrofoam squares. They include heating pads inside. FedEx arrival the next day.

Best for someone to be home or have delivered to office. While insulated well, left out in cold weather won't help. Also, the shipping is about $40 so its best to order several specimens to dilute the shipping $$$...

BTW, bought a Possum Wrasse last week from them. Very cool fish. Kinda floats around rocks and very peaceful. Good fish for a 10gallon with rocks and caves.

Would any type of Wrasse fit in my tank?

I know people put the 6-Line in smaller tanks, but I'm afraid of the aggressiveness (Though I'm sure it's hit or miss like everything)

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse looks pretty cool... Liveaquaria says 10G only.

Problem with half the fish I'm looking at is I've never seen them at any stores; guess I'd have to order everything.

sglw7t.jpg

Just seems weird to a semi-newb to have a fish shipped to your house. B)

Here's the Mimic I was talking about.

pair_100617_PS.jpg

Very Nice tank,

I have the exact same in white that I just set up 2 months ago.

I stocked it with 2 ocellaris clowns, a hector's goby, a six line wrasse and a dwarf angel. They all get along well and have had no problems. One clown has grown a little larger and is now harrasing the smaller one. The sixline is the coolest fish in the tank. It is in constant movement in and out of the rocks. There is no aggression except between the clowns.

My only impulse purchase was an arrow crab which is already back at the LFS with my peppermint shrimp in its stomach.

I've had several successful purchases online. Live Aquaria ships their fish in triple-sealed bags. Bags surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. Very secure. Corals are floated upside down attached to styrofoam squares. They include heating pads inside. FedEx arrival the next day.

Best for someone to be home or have delivered to office. While insulated well, left out in cold weather won't help. Also, the shipping is about $40 so its best to order several specimens to dilute the shipping $$$...

BTW, bought a Possum Wrasse last week from them. Very cool fish. Kinda floats around rocks and very peaceful. Good fish for a 10gallon with rocks and caves.

Good info, I think I'll try to get the fish stores to order the fish for me. Maybe they'll eat a part of the shipping for me buying through them?

Is the Possum Wrasse a hider, or just kind of hangs out by the rocks? I don't really want one if it's going to be in a cave all day. I've got a pink spotted goby who just lounges around, unseen usually...

I had to look up the mimic puffer. What a neat fish!

Yeah, I thought so too. Saw when in a store one day, but it was too late to add it to my 60G.

Question:

At a store today there were ORA Tank Raised Mandarins.

Now I know that usually you need a 1-2 established aquarium, etc for them to feed.

But the owner said that these are ready to go, you can put them right in a new tank because they're eating Mysis and other frozen food and pellets.

True?

Question:

At a store today there were ORA Tank Raised Mandarins.

Now I know that usually you need a 1-2 established aquarium, etc for them to feed.

But the owner said that these are ready to go, you can put them right in a new tank because they're eating Mysis and other frozen food and pellets.

True?

Even if eating prepared I would establish a nano a long time before adding one. So False.
phi delt reefer

possum wrasse will hide most of the time.

melanuras wrasse is nice cause it eats flatworms for sure and has very interesting colors/markings.

Even if eating prepared I would establish a nano a long time before adding one. So False.

So do you know what the other reasoning is? Aside from food source

melanuras wrasse is nice cause it eats flatworms for sure and has very interesting colors/markings.

I actually saw one of those today, they looked amazing, but then online says that you need like50-70G

I melanuras wrasse would get too large.

• 2 weeks later...

So I added my first fish this afternoon, the Mimic I was wanting.

Seems to be doing well so far, very personable, and it's only checked out the coral so far; No nibbling.

It is "Grazing" on the live rock a bit, if that's what they do?

Pretty cool fish.

It's about an inch long and it's body about the size of a quarter.

Still thinking about what I want to put in there with it. Needs to be peaceful I'm thinking.

15z2yki.jpg

1ysm78.jpg

Very nice choice!

Quoted from LA "The diet should include a variety of shaved shrimp, squid, scallop, mysis shrimp, freeze-dried krill soaked in a vitamin supplement, and frozen marine algae. It should be fed no fewer than three times per day."

It was going to town on Mysis at the store.

All I have right now is "Rod's Food" and Krill. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some Mysis.

I guess flakes are out of the question, but maybe I'll give it a shot just in case.

I wonder if you really need to feed it 3 times a day or not.

Archived