Innovative Marine Aquariums

new pistol shrimp just killed my firefish!

fast93accord

So last night i bought a firefish and a wheelers watchman goby. After doing some reading on goby and pistol shrimp i went out today and got a pistol shrimp. I put the pistol shrimp in the tank. It goes under a rock, makes a snap, and my firefish comes floating out. The firefish was floating around but breathing. Within 5 min it stopped breathing... Im so f-n mad right now. I did tons of reading on pistol shrimp, and nowhere did it mention anything like this... now im just hoping this damn shrimp doesnt do this to the wheelers goby or my red scooter dragonet... ugggggg!!!

What kind of pistol did you get? Pistol shrimp come in a wide variety of size and temperament, a hand full of which are considered reef safe (generally, bull dozing little *###s.) Some others can be down right vicious.

Yeah we need to what species. I wouldn't rule out that the fish was already sick since it was only in the tank for a day.

Actually, from his description it sounds like the pistol shrimp outright killed the firefish. It's exactly what would happen if the pistol shrimp attacked prey. This video gives a great example:

His description sounds like any other time I've had a fish die. They usually spend a few minutes floating around without enough strength to swim, but still breathing. The fish could have been hiding near death and the shrimp was exploring for a place to live. I know if my pistols antenna touches anything alive other than his goby he will instantly fire, but it's a candy striped pistol that's basically harmless.

Look on YouTube for pistol shrimp. There is a clip from a Discovery channel episode about pistol shrimp. In the video it explains that the pistol shrimp is capable of snapping its claw so hard and fast that it actually vaporizes to water between it's claws. This causes a small bubble that is as hot as the surface of the sun!

I just wanted to add that interesting info.

That's why it's do important to research everything you put in your tank first.

EDIT: Look at the link that "stumped" posted in post #4. That is actually the one I was talking about. Crazy!

I would probably guess that the fish was not feeling well and hiding in the cave that the pistol decided to inhabit. The snapping was to get the fish out. Yes the pistol shrimp can kill but without knowing what kind of pistol or it's size, you can't guess that it killed the fish. Also, the shrimps snap when threatened, not to actively kill something for fun.

i got the shrimp from a different lfs then usual. The guy gave me only the latin name. It is orangeish in color with a single white stripe down the back. I believe its an anemone pistol shrimp. It says theyre reef safe and will pair with gobys, but i cant find anyone who had this species... The fish could of been sick...??? ive had nothing die in this tank till now... the fish was fine before the pistol went in... less than 5 min later.... it looked stunned...

oh, and the pistol is about 1.25" long.

I would probably guess that the fish was not feeling well and hiding in the cave that the pistol decided to inhabit. The snapping was to get the fish out. Yes the pistol shrimp can kill but without knowing what kind of pistol or it's size, you can't guess that it killed the fish. Also, the shrimps snap when threatened, not to actively kill something for fun.

A firefish could be perfectly healthy and hiding in a cave so it's no indication that the fish was sick or anything. Firefish all have bolt holes that they shoot into. It's entirely possible the fish got spooked, bolted to his hole, the pistol was in it or nearby and then it fired. It's not like anyone was suggesting it killed the firefish for fun. It's just the risk you take with pistol shrimp.

i got the shrimp from a different lfs then usual. The guy gave me only the latin name. It is orangeish in color with a single white stripe down the back. I believe its an anemone pistol shrimp. It says theyre reef safe and will pair with gobys, but i cant find anyone who had this species... The fish could of been sick...??? ive had nothing die in this tank till now... the fish was fine before the pistol went in... less than 5 min later.... it looked stunned...

oh, and the pistol is about 1.25" long.

sounds like a "snapping shrimp"

it could have been a number of things, probably what the others have said. Also, you may have just gotten a very territorial shrimp.. he was exploring places to live, picked the little cave that your hawkfish was in as his new home, saw the hawkfish as an intruder and gave him a quick snap.

it looks like the anemone pistol shrimp, except the big claw has a band around it. i called the store and was told its a "symbolic snapping shrimp"... i said i dont think thats the variety and was assured it is... i should of just spent the $25 and got the randalls from my nomal lfs.... well, lets see if anything else dies, or if my goby pairs up... ive spent the last 4 hrs trying to id this... cant find one good website with a good llisting of pics and names... wtf

interesting! I just got a YWG few weeks ago & just got a shrimp for him the other day. The LFS said it was a "candy cane" but it looks more like a snapping shrimp. I put him in at night & came home the next evening to find my YWG with a piece missing from his lip. YWG is fine, & they're currently in separate rocks. I did see them together at one point during feeding. I'm assuming he got startled when he first saw him

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1286

IMAG0358.jpg

that looks similar to the one i got.... i donated 3 damsels the day i added 2 fish... well all seems ok now... ill keep my fingers crossed...

is snapping shrimp an actual variety? or just another name for a pistol shrimp in general?

didd more reading to find this snapping pistol shrimp also called carribean pistol shrimp.... and it wont pair with gobys... wtf... now im gonna have to tear my tank apart to catch this little f-er....

Due I just reading this thread and I was gonna post that it's a no go for goby pairing. Wrong type of postol. Better off with a tiger pistol.

i dont know wtf now... i just watched the goby come out of and go back in the tunnel the shrimp made... they were not side by side, but the shrimp didnt chase it off and they were just 2" apart behind the rock together...

well the lights went out and the shrimp came out. it has blue legs... pretty sure it is anemone pistol shrimp... f me... im gonna rip the tank and get it out...

You can try to trap it, there are places that will sell traps to catch Mantis Shrimp, that would probably work, or a bottle works too. I would try to trap before taking your tank apart, I had 2 peppermints that were eating my forgspawn and I had to take every single piece of liverock out to get to them.

Archived