Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can you keep a maxima clam without food?

Plancton

Yes, I'm starting a 7 gal pico reef with LED lighting, weekly wc, but no skimmer and no fish, so no food, the question is: can I keep a maxima or crocea only with the lights?

Clams absolutely require nutrients.

Nothing on this planet survives on sunlight alone. Definitely research them; they are filter feeders that are also photosynthetic, which means they obtain nutrition from several different sources-------- but if there is no nitrogen or phosphorus for them (in the form of particulate food or in the form of dissolved nutrients) then you'll be left when only a costly clam shell.

Aqua fire/medic

Depending on lighting and the size of the maxima it may or may not require feedings. Generally if it is over 2" then it should not require phyto. No skimmer is required, but let me ask you this...... Will you be feeding any of the corals you plan to keep?

Do you have any corals in your tank? Will you be adding anything to the tank other than water change? If all you are doing is water change, it will not be enough. But if you have corals and are planning on feeding your corals, the clam should be fine.

However, for a 7 gallon tank, I would think a maxima will get too big for it.

I have a 5 gallon tank with softies, SPS, and a crocea clam, no fish.

What else do you have in your tank? If you just have a tank with nothing else and just those 3 clams and you don't feed anything and they are growing, you should get a physicist to investigate, you just might win a Nobel prize.

I wish people would give more information than just misleading readers with "I don't feed anything".

We are not saying you need to feed the clams directly, we are saying you need other things in the tank that provide nutrients for the clam to grow. They photosynthesize, but they still need nitrates, phosphates, etc which are the building blocks of DNA that cannot be generated from photosynthesis.

i have crocea, squammossa and maxima and dont feed them anything.. they are happy and healthy and have shown great growth :)

i dont target feed mine but i noticed it loves (along with EVERYTHING else in my tank) when i feed oyster feast.

sure you could live off the crap everything else left in your yard but if someone drops by and offers you some food you will probably take it.

Pending size yes or no. Above 3 inches and you should be fine with not feeding it "food"

Clams absolutely require nutrients.

Nothing on this planet survives on sunlight alone. Definitely research them; they are filter feeders that are also photosynthetic, which means they obtain nutrition from several different sources-------- but if there is no nitrogen or phosphorus for them (in the form of particulate food or in the form of dissolved nutrients) then you'll be left when only a costly clam shell.

your tank will have plenty of this floating around over time. clams are one of the easiest species to keep as long as the lighting requirement is met

I have 5 clams, ranging in size from small (2") to mega (5 or 6").

I don't spot feed anybody, if they get anything its just what is randomly drifting by.

A fast way to piss them off is to squirt food at them. They HATE anything going inside their siphon/intake aperature.

I have had my derasa for 5 months now and never spot fed and it was doing fine. Just last week I started to use oyster feast in the tank for my sps corals and let my vortech shoot it around the tank and I was amazed at how my clam responded to it. It would try to suck in as much as possible and then afterward it would look huge. Now, I would not go without putting something into the tank at least once a week even though my clam seemed to be doing fine. In my mind it never hurts to give your tank inhabitants food.

Robert

Archived