inTank Media Baskets

Too many sps? Too much coral?

TheMac86

I have a bc29, and I started my tank with a couple sps frags(acros,pocilloporas,montis) in the beginning. A month or so later, I ended up getting a sweet deal on 10 sps frags--mini colonies(green slimer, rainbow mili,valida, etc..) Then today, I helped a buddy move his 400 gal reef and he gave me 15 sps frags(Joe the coral, sunset Monti,Oregon tort, etc) . I counted all my frags and I have exactly 33 species of sps frags and 3 colonies of eagle eye, watermelon, and ppe zoas.

Is this too many for a bc 29 ? All are pretty much peaceful and half 4-5 inches of growth space. Id hate to let some of these nice pieces go.

Thanks

I would say that is ok, but you need to be more aware of things like calcium and magnesium because your tank will be using these up quickly with that many corals. You might also want to consider doing water changes more frequently to replace trace elements or consider a automatic dosing system to make this easier on you.

Another thing to consider is how these corals will grow out. I used to have a BC29 and with sand and rocks, there wasn't much room left in the water column! You will need to be prepared to frag corals when they start getting close to each other or to the top or sides of the tank.

We need a FTS to see what your tank looks like. There is a lot of potential for a beautiful tank with that amount of diversity of SPS

I should be able to maintain parameters.. My lighting has been upgraded from the beginning to LED's.

Here is a photo, I think there is actually 41-42 different sps corals. Some are difficult to see, because of the lighting

photo-11.jpg

I should be able to maintain parameters.. My lighting has been upgraded from the beginning to LED's.

Here is a photo, I think there is actually 41-42 different sps corals.

photo-11.jpg

That tank will look amazing in a year.

Let's hope everything goes smoothly for an entire year. I double dip, so I expect to not have any pests but that would be wishful thinking.

I use the bulk tubs from Bulk Reef Supply along with a couple BRS pumps hooked up to my controller.

But, ya could just mix the stuff into gallon containers and dose by hand when that time comes. I've had the pails of product for bout two years and I still have a couple months left. Pretty cost effective.

Something like this ... but the package I got was bigger. Should last ya a long time.

Start dosing 2 part soon. i can't imagine you'r gonna have very much growth with that many stonies in that tank. Probably gonna look great in a year though.

You should be fine for a while, but I hope you have a good skimmer and some automated way of dosing. I used to do exactly what you just did. Now I find that everything looks better if you have a moderate variety of species and let them grow into bigger colonies. Still. Very nice variety!

Don't worry too much about dosing right away, it will take a little time before the forest you just planted starts draining you alk/cal, Don't get a reactor unless they have created a nano reactor that I'm unaware of. A doser is overkill right now but it wouldn't be a bad investment after you sell the first round of frags. Dose your top off water and make small corrections with WC, you'll have a full tank by the first of next year if you can keep it up, that is quite a sight. Definately glue that stuff directly to the rock after it is all acclimated. Best of luck

If I was you id move the two montis down at the bottom further apart. They'll be growing into another and fighting in no time.

If you look at my Sig you'll see what I mean.

Awesome advice. Well I just spent an hour prying the plugs off the rocks and removed the frags off the plugs too. Most were encrusted and came off nicely. Got rid of the purple Monti and put some more sunset montis in. I also was able to put my different types of birdsnest in less bright areas (that's where I'm getting faster growth with darker coloration) and acros towards the top.

I found that one of my dark forest acros had a bit of STN , sucks, but I put it up for more light so hopefully it works out. Most of my acros were pretty pissed off but should be fine by tonight.

As for now.. I think I am "coral-stuffed" haha

I also have a two part that I will add later after testing water tonight. I don't expect much calcium absorption yet and alk fluctuations due to the size of the corals. But I will need to invest in some type of automated type to maintain stability.

yeah, this will look great, but you know, if you decide to get rid of some, some of us might be able to take some off your hands. but reactor soon, and a bigger tank. :D

Archived