Pod Your Reef

Derasa clam

wyattroa

I have my derasa clam on the sand and it is doing great... It has been there since I got it about 5-6 months ago. Now it has never attached to anything, even the flat rock I put under it. I will get pushed around from time to time and occasionally on its side by one of my snails and I upright it. But, other then this it does great. With it not attaching to anything is this something to worry about? On a side note, I started to feed oyster feast to my sps corals and my clam is just gulping in as my as it can get..I thought this was so cool.. I feed this twice a week to the tank and it seems to make it happy.

Robert

I was just watching a vid from IPSF on clams, and it covers this subject. Tako is right, t.derasa has an extremely small byssal gape that actually closes completely as it gets larger. They do not attach.

I was just watching a vid from IPSF on clams, and it covers this subject. Tako is right, t.derasa has an extremely small byssal gape that actually closes completely as it gets larger. They do not attach.

Thanks for the video...Great information in there...Glad nothing is wrong with the clam..

Archived