Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need hop with 20g long set up

londonloco

Couple three years ago I broke down my 6 year old 120g reef, mainly because of the maintenance involved. I still have 7 tropical and african planted tanks (and a few bowls) but I miss my reef tank. I've been lurking all the popular forums lately, thinking a pico at first, but have decided to turn one of my 20 gallon longs into a nano reef. So much has changed in the past 3 years. I have a few questions:

1 - I have a 30" 2x28W T5HO catalinaaquarium.com fixture (decent reflectors) I'd like to try to use. Most posts I've come across suggest 4x bulbs on a reef "to guarantee you can keep anything". Since the 20g long is only 12" high and if I stay away from SPS's, can I keep everything else successfully using just 2 bulbs,

2 - Also, given only 2 bulbs, can you suggest which bulbs for me to purchase? For reference, my 120g reef had 2x250W 14K Hamilton HQI pendants, loved the color, not too blue and bright. I see now they make purple bulbs...PURPLE??? I'm not adverse to cost of Geissman bulbs, are they still the "best"?

3 - I will use dry and cured live rock (looking at Premium Aquatics, Marcorocks , Bulk Reef Supply Pukani live rock/eco saver dry rock and www.tbsaltwater.com “the package”). Since the 20g long is only 12" high, I plan on having 1.5" of sand (thinking Tropic Eden Reef flakes), which limits the area for live rock. Not sure how much to buy, somehow 20lbs total just doesn't seem enough.

Thanks all....

I used 4 t5's on my 20 l it was more then enough light you could always upgrade later. I used ATI bulbs and lived the colors I used blue plus and aqua blue special. As for the sand I'm not familiar with that type. The rocks sound good. I'd go with the puma I but remember its super light so you get a lot for your $. What type of filtration r u Planning on using?

I also have a 20l with the exact same lighting setup as you and have recently gotten back into the hobby after some time away. My LFS guy is someone I trust and he thinks it will be fine for soft corals and maybe even some hard corals. I may add more lights later if needed.

I also have a 20l with the exact same lighting setup as you and have recently gotten back into the hobby after some time away. My LFS guy is someone I trust and he thinks it will be fine for soft corals and maybe even some hard corals. I may add more lights later if needed.

What bulbs are you using in your fixture?

I used 4 t5's on my 20 l it was more then enough light you could always upgrade later. I used ATI bulbs and lived the colors I used blue plus and aqua blue special. As for the sand I'm not familiar with that type. The rocks sound good. I'd go with the puma I but remember its super light so you get a lot for your $. What type of filtration r u Planning on using?

Right now I'm going with what I have: xP1 (or xP2 depending on flow) canister, AC50 or AC70 depending on space, live rock and sand. If I find I can't control nitrates with the canister, I'll take it off and buy an intank skimmer.

Right now I'm trying to decide what bulbs to use on this fixture, given it only has 2 bulbs, and I don't want a blue blue appearance, which bulbs would you suggest?

Archived