inTank Media Baskets

JBJ ATO Help

LouDog3

I have a JBJ ATO on my BC29 and haven't had a single issue. So I got tired of manually topping off my Barracuda twice a day and purchased a second ATO. I am using a Maxi-Jet 600 and a 1/2" tube. By the time it's topped off the JBJ ATO takes another 5 seconds or more to deactivate the pump(even though the senor light is green, the pump is still running), by that time it's filled 3 times the amount needed. SO my salinity goes from 1.025 to 1.021 in a second flat. I am slowly raising it up now, but getting frustrated.

I guess my biggest question is what should I change:

1. Smaller Pump

2. Smaller Tube

3. all of the above.

As I would like to keep the ATO. Might try swapping the switches. (reservoir to tank) Anybody else see a delay in the system?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a nc12 gallon and jbj ato and have my float switch in the 3rd chamber with the return pump. mine does this as well and i just moved the float switch lower in the chamber so by the time it turns off it doesnt overflow. if that doesnt help you could try getting a smaller pump and or smaller tubing like you suggested i would say that would probably help.

or you could maybe put something on the tubing to restict the flow going through it. not sure if that would mess up your pump or not though...

It's the delayed pump deactivation that's killing me.

I just timed it and by the time my sensor light turns off the pump runs for another 5 seconds then the pump light turns off and deactivates the pump.

I guess I need a smaller pump and tube.

Any suggestions? Rio 400? and what tube size would fit anyone?

The best solution I've come up with in the past is to put a tee at the end of the tubing. Run a small valve off of one of the outlets and have a return tube to the top off water source. That way you can restrict flow into your tank and add water more slowly while not putting unneeded stress on your pump. Just make sure your return tube is larger than the delivery tube.

I would just switch to a $15 aqualifter and be done with it. The slow trickle of top off water will be better for your tank in the long run, anyways.

I have a JBJ ATO on my BC29 and haven't had a single issue. So I got tired of manually topping off my Barracuda twice a day and purchased a second ATO. I am using a Maxi-Jet 600 and a 1/2" tube. By the time it's topped off the JBJ ATO takes another 5 seconds or more to deactivate the pump(even though the senor light is green, the pump is still running), by that time it's filled 3 times the amount needed. SO my salinity goes from 1.025 to 1.021 in a second flat. I am slowly raising it up now, but getting frustrated.

I guess my biggest question is what should I change:

1. Smaller Pump

2. Smaller Tube

3. all of the above.

As I would like to keep the ATO. Might try swapping the switches. (reservoir to tank) Anybody else see a delay in the system?

Where did you place the return tube into the Biocube? Are you hoodless?

sounds like you got something figured out, i would just do the valve on it, its a top off pump, not a $100 return pump, yeah, you are putting stress on the motor, but better the motor then the fish or a flood. my tank personally, i run two aqualifters in so i can get more fluid then just one, but not a pump to deal with the time limit issue with the jbj ato

Where did you place the return tube into the Biocube? Are you hoodless?

This is on my 3.5 gallon tank. But on my BC29 i have the return line feeding into chamber 3. Yes I am hood less.

Chamber 1 - heater

Chamber 2 - media basket & skimmer

Chamber 3 - ATO return line

I have BC 29 with JBJ ATO and MJ600. I didn't like the speed with which the RO entered the tank and added a 2 littles fishes valve to the line and can dial in a slower flow. I thought about possible damage to the pump but it is no different to pumping the water to a higher outlet because of the extra head pressure. Valve was only a few bucks and nicely made.

Aqua lifter works slow but runs with no issues as long as the height is right

I would just switch to a $15 aqualifter and be done with it. The slow trickle of top off water will be better for your tank in the long run, anyways.

I have the aqualifter as well and just set everything up the other day. The height seems to be all correct, however it seems that when the ATO is running, the water just drips slowly into the tank. Is this normal?

So what was the solution here? I just ordered my JB ATO for my BC29. I have not bought my pump yet. But the pump will run from the resevoir that will sit inside my stand at the bottom, and run up to my BC29. If I get an aqualifter will that height be OK? Does the pump not shut off when the ATO stops or something? Or do you have yours set up and gravity is an issue here? I don't want a flood. Thanks.

So what was the solution here? I just ordered my JB ATO for my BC29. I have not bought my pump yet. But the pump will run from the resevoir that will sit inside my stand at the bottom, and run up to my BC29. If I get an aqualifter will that height be OK? Does the pump not shut off when the ATO stops or something? Or do you have yours set up and gravity is an issue here? I don't want a flood. Thanks.

Review this video:

You want a low flow rate pump so the water can mix nicely with out putting anything in shock.

I don't have a single issue with my JBJ ATO w/ maxi-jet 1200.

My issues where on my 3.5 gallon pico.

Archived