Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feather Duster in Frogspawn Head!

Thizzelle686

I purchased my first coral today. Its a single headed green and purple tipped frogspawn/hammer. When I bought it at the LFS it had great color, but it didnt look fully expanded; i would say maybe 50%. After placing it in my tank and viewing it with the moon lights on, I have noticed that there is a feather duster right near the mouth, maybe even in it!

I know that if the duster keeps the frogspawn from opening than its a problem and needs to be removed, but what if it doesn't inhibit the coral from expanding/inflating? Should it still be removed? What is the best way to take the duster off my first, prized frag? Thanks. :scarry:

I purchased my first coral today. Its a single headed green and purple tipped frogspawn/hammer. When I bought it at the LFS it had great color, but it didnt look fully expanded; i would say maybe 50%. After placing it in my tank and viewing it with the moon lights on, I have noticed that there is a feather duster right near the mouth, maybe even in it!

I know that if the duster keeps the frogspawn from opening than its a problem and needs to be removed, but what if it doesn't inhibit the coral from expanding/inflating? Should it still be removed? What is the best way to take the duster off my first, prized frag? Thanks. :scarry:

can we get a picture?

So.. wait.. the duster is growing in the middle of the fleshy bit of the frogspawn? I don't know that that's possible..

If it's just growing on the base, no biggie.

It will kill your frogspawn, the same thing happened to me on a beautiful piece with multiple heads. They steal all the food from the frogspawn (minus what nutrients it gets from light obviously) but eventually my colony died because of it.

Is that really a duster?

Yeah I am pretty sure, unless you can suggest something more convincing......

It will kill your frogspawn, the same thing happened to me on a beautiful piece with multiple heads. They steal all the food from the frogspawn (minus what nutrients it gets from light obviously) but eventually my colony died because of it.

How should i kill it without harming my froggy?

I don't know about it being a duster I had a frogspawn that had a feather that swept food in like it was waving always thought that was normal not an actual feather duster. I'd assume it would digest it if it were in it's mouth

I don't know about it being a duster I had a frogspawn that had a feather that swept food in like it was waving always thought that was normal not an actual feather duster. I'd assume it would digest it if it were in it's mouth

After watching it last night, I would say that this is exactly what it does. It would extended out, collect food, retreat into the mouth and repeat.

It's a barnacle, not a duster. Not sure if the two will be ok like that for long or not...

What make you thinks its a barnacle and it wont be ok?

What make you thinks its a barnacle and it wont be ok?

Barnacles look like that - a series of filaments lined up along one plane, not in a circle like a feather duster. I've had and seen pictures of enough barnacles to be sure that's what it is. Also the behavior you described is barnacle-like. They will retract the filaments when they catch food, whereas feather dusters can pass food particles down their gills.

The reason I'm not sure it will be ok is just that I've never seen one int he middle of a polyp before. I just have no data to work with.

Well its been in the tank for 24 hours and still hasn't opened up. I guess i will try moving it and see if that helps. If not then Im going to assume that the barnacle is bothering it.

altolamprologus
Well its been in the tank for 24 hours and still hasn't opened up. I guess i will try moving it and see if that helps. If not then Im going to assume that the barnacle is bothering it.

Don't move it. Just leave it alone.

Don't move it. Just leave it alone.

Do you think its fine, even though it has not opened up at all. Im getting the idea that it might be in to much flow....

altolamprologus
Do you think its fine, even though it has not opened up at all. Im getting the idea that it might be in to much flow....

It's just adjusting to the new tank. Some corals take days to open for the first time, some open immediately. Just be patient and leave him be. If you move it, it will stay closed even longer.

Archived