Cultivated Reef

10 Gallon Lighting

nyknicks4412

I have a brand new 10 gallon tank (20x10x12) that I will be setting up in my dorm room. I am looking for lighting suggestions for the tank. I do not want to have many restrictions on what types of corals I can keep in the tank and although it will start out fairly basic I want to have room to grow without having to upgrade lights in the future. Trying to keep the cost down as well. So if you guys could toss some suggestions to me that would be great. LED, T5 or MH is fine with me. Trying to keep evaporation down as the tank is small and RO/DI water is hard to come by in a dorm room. Thanks!

I have the nova extreme t5 lights. 1 actinic, 1 white( I think it's 24 watts total and 12k ) I think i paid around70 bucks from big ALS, and keep some soft and mostly Lps. Everything grows great. Don't get me wrong, it's no led, and the lighting doesn't shimmer or anything, but for 70 bucks it was well worth it. When time comes for new bulbs tho, I think I am just going to get a DIY led kit.

Check out aquastyleonline.com. They're DIY kits are great and a lot of people on here have them and lbe them. LEDs will save you money on bulbs and electricity in the long run and the size of kit for a 10 gallon will be in your price range.

Check out aquastyleonline.com. They're DIY kits are great and a lot of people on here have them and lbe them. LEDs will save you money on bulbs and electricity in the long run and the size of kit for a 10 gallon will be in your price range.

Thanks a ton for the replies so far! This site is great for help and I appreciate people taking the time out of their day to help me.

Goethe DIY kits do you need any electrical work experience? I know very little but can follow instructions great lol. So if that's all it takes.

Check out used equipment. Sunpods go for pretty cheap. I got a 70 watt for $125 off this site and it works great over my 10 gallon. I've also seem them for cheaper.

Get an odyssea 150W MH light fixture. They're right in your price range, and they're the lights I have on my dorm tank. Although they're not the best quality product out there, they're well worth the price and provide excellent growth. My only recommendation is to swap the stock bulb with a 150W Phoenix bulb.

Check out used equipment. Sunpods go for pretty cheap. I got a 70 watt for $125 off this site and it works great over my 10 gallon. I've also seem them for cheaper.

I was actually looking at the sunpod 70 watt but was unsure if it would be enough lighting for all corals? Do you need 150 watts or would 70 do? I like sunpods and have used them on my 20 gallon tank.

Personally, I would choose to buy a quality used product (like the sunpod) rather than an odyssea. I haven't heard many good things about them. As far as wattage, 150 is on the bright side for a 10 gallon. I have had success with keeping acros and other sps under the 70 watt.

Goethe DIY kits do you need any electrical work experience? I know very little but can follow instructions great lol. So if that's all it takes.

Nope, no electrical experience needed. I had absolutely none and managed to get my fixture put together in ~4 hours with no issues. The directions are pretty straightforward and there's a great thread on here by Trogdor with detailed instructions, including photos of each step. You have to solder, but a soldering iron is really cheap and I just watched a couple YouTube videos to learn how to use one. Its not too hard at all. :)

Oh and the Odyssea fixtures are not bad at all. I talked to several people on here who had them and loved them before I bought one for my 10 gallon. I just upgraded and decided to go the LED route just to save money on bulbs, but the Odyssea T5 fixture I had was awesome. I was getting tons of growth with it, even from SPS corals and I really liked the color and the moon light feature. I actually will be selling it soon, so if you decide to go that route, mine was only used for about 3 months.

Nope, no electrical experience needed. I had absolutely none and managed to get my fixture put together in ~4 hours with no issues. The directions are pretty straightforward and there's a great thread on here by Trogdor with detailed instructions, including photos of each step. You have to solder, but a soldering iron is really cheap and I just watched a couple YouTube videos to learn how to use one. Its not too hard at all. :)

Oh and the Odyssea fixtures are not bad at all. I talked to several people on here who had them and loved them before I bought one for my 10 gallon. I just upgraded and decided to go the LED route just to save money on bulbs, but the Odyssea T5 fixture I had was awesome. I was getting tons of growth with it, even from SPS corals and I really liked the color and the moon light feature. I actually will be selling it soon, so if you decide to go that route, mine was only used for about 3 months.

which DIY kit would be good to get from that site for my size tank? 20 LED's?

I have my whites dimmed way down on my ten gallon with 12 leds. You could do some neat clusters with 20 for some cool blending but def make sure its dimmable

In that case, disregard what I said. I still like the sunpod though. :P

which DIY kit would be good to get from that site for my size tank? 20 LED's?

I'd get the 14 LED dimmable kit if I were you. More than that would be overkill. The 14 should support anything, including SPS's.

+1

I have a a 10 LED build over my 10 gallon from aquastyles. The diy is easy and people on here will help you with it.

I ordered the 8 led kit non dimmable for around 40 + 30 shipping and they gave me 2 extra lights. They give beautiful shimmer and you never have to replace the bulbs!

+1

I have a a 10 LED build over my 10 gallon from aquastyles. The diy is easy and people on here will help you with it.

I ordered the 8 led kit non dimmable for around 40 + 30 shipping and they gave me 2 extra lights. They give beautiful shimmer and you never have to replace the bulbs!

+1 i would def recomment GU10 or aquastyles. both are well within your price range.

I have had MH, T-5s, HO and now Leds, all i can say. If you can swing it go with the leds, they last forever and the saving will be there over other fixtures.

Im currently planning a 93 gal cube lighting system will all leds. Its worth the extra tag up front, but im also sourcing my Leds and MCPCBS right from the primary distributer/manufacturer so im getting them for 2/5th the retail.

Even if you don't have a DBA, the cost of SOME leds (primarily DIY kits) is def. worth it. Many of the prefab lights i wouldn't consider due to the crazy price.

Also consider how long you will be in the hobby. If you know its a sure bet, afew years or so, go with the LED. If your trying it out for the first time, i would suggest a MH or T5 so you don't break the bank trying it out.

Wow thanks for the help! After reading this thread and lurking the internet for the last 3 hours I have decided to go with LED's this time around. They seem to be within my price range and the way to go. I love how tanks look with them.

Few more questions and I will be making a purchase!

I cannot hang anything from the ceiling as this will be in my dorm room and do not have the space to have any type of lamp coming up from the floor. The light needs to somehow mount on the tank.

For the this http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...mmable-Kit.html is there anyway to mount it to the tank? I have been looking all over the place but can't find anyone that had a viable solution.

If the requirements to mount it to the tank somehow take the above out of the picture would picking one of these up http://www.boostled.com/collections/par30-...with-lamp-clamp make sense and then getting another one down the road?

Thanks again all! :D

Archived