inTank Media Baskets

Comlete Newbie Looking For Some Info

mmdjs

First of all let me say this site is great and I just wanted to let the people working on it know that they are doing a great job explaining alot of things newbies (like myself) need to know to start.

Christopher Marks - Great job on your articles

Anyway down to my question , I purchased what I thought was a 25 gallon tank but after taking its measurements which were 16 " tall, 13.75 " deep and 23.5" long it seems like looking online I only have a

22 and a half gallon (didnt know they made those lol)

My question is Im just getting started with this, I have purchased the following things, everything I think I need to start besides a skimmer or filter, because I read Christopher Marks article about natural filtration and figured I would give that a go for a little while to see how it worked.

40 pounds of live sand (Carrib -Sea)

H20cean pro+ Salt

Vertex Salinity Refractometer

Vertex Salinity Refractometer

Jager 100 Watt Aquarium Heater (Eheim)

Two Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerheads (425 GPH)

Considering Purchasing Eco Live Rock From this Vendor here because I have read alot of things about it being good for reef conservation plus its only 3.50 a pound and havent run across anyone saying to stay clear of ecoliverock at all (hopefully thats correct lol) Plus they have free shipping so Im saving a bit there too.

http://www.ecoliverock.org/

And for my last beginner purchase (because originally i thought I would just do a fish only with live rock tank at first but keep staring at videos and pictures online with beautiful corals anemone's etc.) I think I want to get a light to help grow some of that as well.

Question for the lighting is this a decent light for what i am looking to do ?

Coralife 24 Inch AquaLight T5 HO Fixture (2-24W)

Here is a link to the features in case anyone can tell me by looking at that.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/fl-ct5h2...282-24W%29.html

Anyway once again I really appreciate everyones effort on this site and hopefully as I learn I will be able to add as well.

The lighting is extremely weak in relation to the tank size in my opinion. You would need to step up the lighting in order to grow much more than softies. Even though I don't believe in the Watt per gallon rule, I don't think a total of 48 watts with grow much.

Here's a bigger fixture that may interest you. I don't own it but I found it for you

http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualight_Com..._p/res53102.htm

Other than that your list looks pretty good. A filter is needed if you wish to run carbon. purigen, or floss to clean the water more, but in natural filtration its not needed. As long as you are diligent in water changes.

Actually, a 2x24W T5HO fixture is not that bad, and T5s have effectively replaced power compact fluorescents (PCs) because they are more efficient (more light per watt), allow individual reflectors (single tube vs. double tubes that also waste light), and have better bulb selections. A 4x24W T5 fixture with individual, parabolic reflectors would allow you to keep almost any coral (and anemones, provided you have the requisite water quality).

I have a 4x24W T5 fixture (a retrofit kit from reefgeek.com), and it completely blows away my old 2x65W coralife PC fixture, the exact model mentioned in pwnme's link. The coralife T5 fixture is a low-end brand with an inefficient single reflector, not to mention poor bulb quality. There is a more thorough explanation of all of this in the lighting forum's T5HO information thread.

Actually, a 2x24W T5HO fixture is not that bad, and T5s have effectively replaced power compact fluorescents (PCs) because they are more efficient (more light per watt), allow individual reflectors (single tube vs. double tubes that also waste light), and have better bulb selections. A 4x24W T5 fixture with individual, parabolic reflectors would allow you to keep almost any coral (and anemones, provided you have the requisite water quality).

I have a 4x24W T5 fixture (a retrofit kit from reefgeek.com), and it completely blows away my old 2x65W coralife PC fixture, the exact model mentioned in pwnme's link. The coralife T5 fixture is a low-end brand with an inefficient single reflector, not to mention poor bulb quality. There is a more thorough explanation of all of this in the lighting forum's T5HO information thread.

Listen to the dude with more posts. He knows whats up :D

Listen to the dude with more posts. He knows whats up :D

I wanted to give a quick update my computer has been down and greatly appreciate the advice, the ecorockpeople were not getting back to me so I went to the lfs and purchased 25 pounds of live rock and the owner actually delivered the water to me that night. My Powerheads and heater were still in transit so I purchased a maxi jet and he brought over a heater that night as well , i figured i would need the max Jet for water changes anyway ,my refractometer still wasn't here as well but he said I could mix the salt without it for now just to get the liverock started.he said I could add liverock right away.

So I did what it said on the foster and smith you tube video , I think that's the name of them lol, added the live sand to the bottom mixed the saltwater added the saltwater and liverock turned on the maxi jet and the heater and that was that. I did question afterward whether I should have heated the water first though, as when he dropped it off it was colder i noticed while mixing , so 36 hours later the tank is pretty clear and I noticed a huge worm , I'm guessing it's bristle , walking around on the rocks, there is a lot of smaller dead worms moving around , because of the maxi jet pushing water , on the sand though too.

Would the worm be a good sign that the salinity is pretty close or can they almost survive in anything.

?

Make sure you have a glass thermometer to check the temperature, and it's a good idea to also have a heater just for mixing new water.

Bristle worms are hardy and not great indicators of water quality. Don't worry too much about getting more water. As long as there is enough to submerge the rocks, it's best to wait until you get your refractometer before adding more water. Also, what is your [fresh]water source? Try to always use filtered water like distilled or reverse osmosis, deionized (RO/DI).

If you won't be getting the refractometer anytime soon, i'd get a hydrometer just to be able to ball park it. Also it gives you a back up if anything happened to the refractometer. Redundent safety is the best sort of saftey!

Make sure you have a glass thermometer to check the temperature, and it's a good idea to also have a heater just for mixing new water.

Bristle worms are hardy and not great indicators of water quality. Don't worry too much about getting more water. As long as there is enough to submerge the rocks, it's best to wait until you get your refractometer before adding more water. Also, what is your [fresh]water source? Try to always use filtered water like distilled or reverse osmosis, deionized (RO/DI).

Yes he dropped of ro/di water , will def pick up a submersible heater for water changes going forward lol

The led temp on the side of the tank says 75 but I'm guessing it's just not as accurate as a glass one probably ? Is 75 a good temp in your opinion for my cycle ?

Welcome to Nano Reef.

Keep it simple and go with Zoas, Rics, couple LPS (Frog/Hammer) to start when the time comes.

Those are not "disposable corals" like Xenia and Colt or Kenya Tree and won't overtake your tank pissing ya off down the line.

An RO/DI unit is a great investment when your ready because, eventually your gonna want a bigger tank ... happens to everyone ... trust me.

Finally, If ya don't test for it .... don't add it.

All the pretty supplement "super growth guaranteed in a bottle" stuff....nope.

Good luck on your setup

Welcome to Nano Reef.

Keep it simple and go with Zoas, Rics, couple LPS (Frog/Hammer) to start when the time comes.

Those are not "disposable corals" like Xenia and Colt or Kenya Tree and won't overtake your tank pissing ya off down the line.

An RO/DI unit is a great investment when your ready because, eventually your gonna want a bigger tank ... happens to everyone ... trust me.

Finally, If ya don't test for it .... don't add it.

All the pretty supplement "super growth guaranteed in a bottle" stuff....nope.

Good luck on your setup

Hey thanks for the tips I've definetly consider a bigger tank since day one but I'm going to see how it goes for a while with this one and build up some learning experiences first, especially with putting my liverock into the aquarium before the heater was even turned on won't do that next time lol rodi water that was dropped off that evening was chilly lol

Also as per Pandion's suggestion to have a hydrometer for backup as well as a refractometer I went and picked up the hydrometer today , my refractometer will be here Friday.

The salinity apparently was 1.027 but everyone says these are not the greatest tools for measuring salinity, I'll have to see what it is with the refractometer on Friday.

Archived