inTank Media Baskets

Black Sand Question

patrickf

Thinking of doing all black sand in my first pico. Does anyone have it in their current tank and does it become discolored or soon turn black and white from snail/fish poop? I love the look of the all black sand, but if it is difficult/impossible to keep it all black, then maybe I will not do it.

Thanks

I just switched to black sand in my reef, not worth it unless your going to have a wide open Aquascape

If your doing a middle LR scape that only lets you see sand around the edges than don't do it

Not worth it, plus you're right about snails, my turbos and urchin leave white piles of crap on the sand bed

Also make sure to start with a thick bed b/c you will slowly siphon away sand to clean

I have had black sand in my tank and I like the look but it wont stay black depending on your parameters. I have a larger gravel size and my sand has red and coraline on it now. I think it stills looks cool but it wont stay black

I had black sand, I hated it. Make sure it's not magnetic, because it can scratch your glass when you use your scrubber.

Im not certain if black sand could contain metals like it has been suggested. At least not from one of the big suppliers (CaribSea or WorldWide).

Black sand looks awesome for the first month or so, but like it has been said above...if you have snails or anything that leaves detrius behind you will have tan/black at first then pink/black later as the coraline takes over.

Now black sand mixed with epoxy on a cutting board in the bottom of a tank looks great and stays black forever...just saying :)

Ive only had black sand for a week and already araund the rock, white stuff is building up. It dosnt look badwith the wite stufg. It actually looks pretty cool. Do black sand.

PS my caribsea sand is magnetic

I had black sand in my BC back in the day. Used to love it. Then kinda liked it. And finally, hated it. I won't be using it again.

Im not certain if black sand could contain metals like it has been suggested. At least not from one of the big suppliers (CaribSea or WorldWide).

Black sand looks awesome for the first month or so, but like it has been said above...if you have snails or anything that leaves detrius behind you will have tan/black at first then pink/black later as the coraline takes over.

Now black sand mixed with epoxy on a cutting board in the bottom of a tank looks great and stays black forever...just saying :)

iirc black 'sand' can be a few things: iron oxide is one, indicated by it being magnetic, nickel slag is another, usually this is 'sand' bought as sand blasting media, another is crushed basalt ie lava rock, finally i think 3m used to make a black sand that was crushed quartz.

Vary rarely is it natural sand. from what i remember most of the beaches and such that have black sand it is illegal to remove it, so large scale collection is almost unheard of. crushing basalt and quartz to make black sand is a niche market and from what i know thats why 3m quit making it. and nickel slag is just that nickel slag a left over product from smelting nickel, no telling what else might be in with it unless you have acess to a mass spec or some other lab equiptment.

seems like either u love it or hate it....i used to have black sand...loved it but i sold that set up and with the new set up i got white sand again...would i go back to black sand? Sure i would!

I love my black sand....lol as siwelk said...then again I have 3 vortechs and an hour after feeding they go into nutrient transport for 45 minutes...so it stays clean, no discoloration, I don't siphon clean it either...matter of fact every other day I turkey basted my rocks to bring up the marine snow/detritus which goes to corals and sand...then I feed..and then nutrient transport...I've never siphoned my sand....

Matter of fact my siphon is retired...I use a pump for waterchanges...and my sump sock or fuge catches all the particulatesl....sock gets washed weekly ,;)

However when I had whitesand I couldn't get it to stay clean and siphoned it every few days lol

I have black sand and I too am getting annoyed by white buildup, etc. Would it look whack if I mixed it half and half with white sand? I'm upgrading my tank next week...

Anyone have mixed black and white??

I have black sand and I too am getting annoyed by white buildup, etc. Would it look whack if I mixed it half and half with white sand? I'm upgrading my tank next week...

Anyone have mixed black and white??

Looks like crap I did this on my first tank I hated it. I ended up sucking it all out and going white.

when i still had cichlids i did the salt and pepper sand look ( black and white) for a while, the grain size has to be fairly large for it to look good.

Archived