Coral Vue Hydros

I have "strawberry anemones"! How to care for them?

Icewall42

Hi all,

I'm new to nano-reefing, and new to saltwater in general. Got a BioCube 14 that has been running for about a month now, with some livestock (and a copepod explosion, apparently), and I've been finding all sorts of neat critters on the live rocks. I believe some of them to be baby strawberry anemones, as they are pink-stalked with a ring of stubby, white-tipped tentacles.

I think they are very beautiful, and wanted to know: Has anyone had experience with these, and know anything about how to care for them?

I'll see if I can get a picture of them soon, but they are quite little.

Edit: I want to say they are Pseudocorynactis sp., and I've seen dribs and drabs of care information for them, but it all varies :/

altolamprologus

You probably don't have actual strawberry nems, as those are temperate and wouldn't live long at tropical temps. You probably have a white ball nem, which look very similar. I have dozens of them and they are fairly common hitchhikers in reef aquaria. I used to feed mine (well, the ones I could reach, they like shadows and caves) but now I just let them eat whatever they can catch. They are non-photosynthetic and will usually stay closed during the day if exposed to light, and open up at night to catch food. Since your tank is extremely young, I suggest feeding them if you want to keep them. As your system matures and you have a more regular production of zooplankton, you can ease off the feedings.

That sounds like a pretty good plan. These guys actually remain open during the day and don't seem disturbed by the lights. My guess is they might be the Caribbean variety of Pseudocorynactis, since the only Corynactis sp. that resembles it is a temperate species, as well as a species near South Africa and the southern Atlantic.

Would something like Oyster-Feast be appropriate for this animal? Or perhaps Roti-Feast?

altolamprologus
That sounds like a pretty good plan. These guys actually remain open during the day and don't seem disturbed by the lights. My guess is they might be the Caribbean variety of Pseudocorynactis, since the only Corynactis sp. that resembles it is a temperate species, as well as a species near South Africa and the southern Atlantic.

Would something like Oyster-Feast be appropriate for this animal? Or perhaps Roti-Feast?

I would feed it something more substantial than oysterfest. Rotifeast would be good, but I always fed mine brine, mysis, and flakes. They seem to like big meals

+1 to this thread

I have the same things growing on a rock in my tank, they certainly do look to be a species of Pseudocorynactis

Glad to hear they are not harmful, since one of my rocks has about 20 heads of this on it....

Archived