ReefCleaners.org

RTN help!

Trainer262

Yesterday I lost 2 SPS frags to RTN...

Today I noticed another 2 going down hill :(

I have had them for 3 weeks with no issues except I really didn't see any polyp extension-figured they are newer to my tank, no immediate worries.

I just checked my water.... Everything looks good and phos is 0, alk is 10 and calc is 440. They are getting good flow and under AI Sol lights.

WTH is happening?

Also I have had my Pocillopora for 2 1/2 months with no problems...

Any ideas or suggestions???

Aqua fire/medic

Ok..... Just some first thoughts..... Alk @ 10, is it 10 in the morning? Does it swing during the day? Where did the rtn begin ( base or branches?). Did you dip these specimens? How old are your test kits? What lights were they under before going in your tank? Look closely at the specimens in your tank carefully..... Any pests?

Ok..... Just some first thoughts..... Alk @ 10, is it 10 in the morning? Does it swing during the day? Where did the rtn begin ( base or branches?). Did you dip these specimens? How old are your test kits? What lights were they under before going in your tank? Look closely at the specimens in your tank carefully..... Any pests?

I've tested AM and PM on Alk. I'm always at 10 or 11 always. I did an iodine dip for 3 min and dont know what lighting they were under before. I dont have my AI turned up very high due to still acclimating other coral to LED light.

Test kits are all good.

The RTN is starting at the base... I did cut down some plugs and putty them down and thought that could have been the reason, but it's starting on one I didn't even take out of the tank.

I haven't noticed any pests and all other coral/inverts look good.

Aqua fire/medic

Interesting...... I had this happen to me when I switched from MH to T5.... I lost a red planet, hawkins, both mini colonies! I switched back in less than a week and the frags off of those mini colonies started to grow again. You are going to need to frag, and possibly place the frags in higher light. If it has started to rtn at the base you will not be able to stop it unless you frag the good sections.

I may have to try that... Can I frag and not attach to anything?

Maybe put in a clear Tupperware up high to contain them in something?

Interesting...... I had this happen to me when I switched from MH to T5.... I lost a red planet, hawkins, both mini colonies! I switched back in less than a week and the frags off of those mini colonies started to grow again. You are going to need to frag, and possibly place the frags in higher light. If it has started to rtn at the base you will not be able to stop it unless you frag the good sections.
Aqua fire/medic
I may have to try that... Can I frag and not attach to anything?

Maybe put in a clear Tupperware up high to contain them in something?

I would mount on new frag plugs or some rubble. Then place the plug or rubble further up in higher light.

I have had similar experiences but am starting to get much better results from my sps. They are very sensitive but need lots of light. I have found that polyp retraction and trouble at the base usually indicates the need for more light and possibly water a little cool for sps. I would try increasing your light and monitoring the temperature closely for swings overnight. You are right to be cautious of burning them, it is easy to do, but I have found that intense lighting for a lessened period is less likely burn than a long photoperiod. I was shocked to realize how much light my sps need to really thrive after I built up to where I am now, it is significantly more than I was used to running my tank on previously. I run my lights full on for 10 hours a day now, and usually 14 hours total of lessened intensity. Good luck!

Well I knock on wood at the moment. I lost 3 of the frags but the others are still looking good.

I'm kind of at a catch 22, I have LPS that are at the max with the amount of light I have on them. At this point I can't turn the light up any higher. I gradually increase then decrease for 9.5 hours a day.

Im wondering also, something knocked them off the egg crate and were in the sand over night a few days prior to this incident, but I guess that doesn't explain the lack of polyp extension.

Depending on what was used to mount them, I know [some] putty kills SPS skeletons and tissue.

I read that too somewhere... I used Aquastick. I thought that was what had happened too until one died that I didn't even putty.

I'm categorizing this one as an unsolved mystery lol :)

Archived