ReefCleaners.org

Does this Nem look okay?

brandolando4

SO you guys have talked me into buying a nem, I found this baby RBTA on craigslist, the seller says its 2-3 inches across. He is selling me this and a rainbow Monti for 45. Does it look healthy and good? When I pick it up is there anything I should be looking for?

Picture

9a1e2291.jpg

Thanks,

Brandon

Looks fine to me. That's a pretty good deal he's cutting you, so I would jump on it.

+1 the bubbles on that look nice and full. RBTA can go for 50-60 for that size. Look into propogating if your interested in that sort of thing.

+1 the bubbles on that look nice and full. RBTA can go for 50-60 for that size. Look into propogating if your interested in that sort of thing.

DAAAAAAAMN! Where are you located?

Cool he is offering mega ones 5-6 inches for 45. I assumed I should get the smaller one because of my tank size.

Thanks,

Brandon

Looks good to me i just picked up 2 rbtas from a guy for 45 myself and yeah stores around me in NY don't sell them for under 60 unless they are like really tiny.. thinking about splitting my one though its around 5 maybe 6 inches across. can sell it and get my money back because it was a good deal that i got so i would say go ahead get it.

:D

Smart thing to do. Actually here in Memphis the LFS sells RBTAs that are 2-3 inches across for $75 average. A decent 6 inch one could run you upwards of $120. Thats why I am trying to propagate my RBTAs and help some people out over here. That looks like a good nem but don't take the inflated bubbles as a good sign/permanent feature. These photos are about a month apart I believe of my same anemone:

post-71888-1327534160_thumb.jpg

post-71888-1327534223_thumb.jpg

Sorry for late post, my internet died and then posted when it came back on...

hardest part would be getting it off the rock. just cut it down the middle. I would read up a little first on it but they are pretty hardy and hard to kill. My friend chiseled the rock apart that his nem was on, which was one of the two i picked up. and the rock cracked over by the nem and tore a chunk outta his nem...needless to say there are three perfectly healthy nems now.

They grow pretty fast actually. Some people have trouble keeping them from reproducing. Anemones will split consistently on their own if fed. You can also cut them in half and they recover pretty well. Its really easy, I've done it once on accident.

Hey Reef!

I'm in Memphis too, we are actually thinking of starting another tank late this Spring and possibly having RBTAs in there eventually, hopefully you can hook me up when the time arrives! Where do you shop? Kermits, Something Fishy or MEMFish? Or all 3? We mostly do Kermits, but Ken has nice rock. which we filled up our 25 Cardiff, I'll post pics sometime soon.

Thanks,

Todd

Archived