ReefCleaners.org

Who wants to see a 870 gallon mature reef?

Leonard

Feature Aquarium: Ralf Prehn's 870 gallon "Little Coral Reef"; Advanced Aquarist

Ralf Prehn has created a reef masterpiece. His 870 gallon display is a perfect balance of art and design, science and engineering, passion and discipline. Ralf set out to recreate a slice of natural coral reef in Hamburg, Germany. Six years in, the result of his dedication is nothing short of amazing.

ralf.jpeg

Thrassian Atoll

Is the display 870 gallons or is it total water volume? A guy in our local reef club has a 500g display and looks pretty similar in size.

Is the display 870 gallons or is it total water volume? A guy in our local reef club has a 500g display and looks pretty similar in size.

He states that it is 870 gallons gross. So I think it is everything, not just the tank. but the tank is very large at any rate. But with all the livestock, sand, live rock, I don't think you could get 870 gallons in that tank. I think the tank is roughly about 855 gallons, but that is without the overflow and nothing else in the tank.

870 is the display tank itself (9.8 x 4.3 x 2.8 ft). I think why Ralf's tank might look similar to a 500g is 1) 500g is pretty darn big too, just not as deep and wide) and 2) Ralf's corals are MASSIVE. We're talking about corals over 4' long, which probably skews perception.

855 display? Gotta have a bigger sump than 15 gallons lmao. Mine is 25 on a 75.

855 display was with nothing in it. With all that coral and stuff, the display does not hold the water capacity.

870 is the display tank itself (9.8 x 4.3 x 2.8 ft). I think why Ralf's tank might look similar to a 500g is 1) 500g is pretty darn big too, just not as deep and wide) and 2) Ralf's corals are MASSIVE. We're talking about corals over 4' long, which probably skews perception.

That would make sense I guess. It is hard to take it all in via picture without something next to it to compare size. Big ass tank either way though. Would love to have something like this eventually.

Thrassian Atoll

Yeah, those dimmensions are bigger. The 500g is 109"x40"x27". You are right about the corals skewing the perception. Those things are massive.

Archived