Coral Vue Hydros

Tank Parameters

indyjaco

Hello all,

Last night after about 2 weeks of cycling I had these results below with my tank. There is some algae growth on the rocks and it looks like it is subsiding. I added 18 lbs of live rock 2 weeks ago to a tank which was already cycling with 20 lbs of sand. The rock was pulled from another Local Indy member's tank who was being taken down. I have been slow to add any fish/CUC for obvious reasons but after looking at these I think I will be safe to add a CUC this week or weekend and possible fish next week.

This is with a Red Sea Test Kit.

Temp: 78

PH: 8

ALK: 2.0 to 2.5

Nitrate 0 to .25

Nitrite 0 to 2.5

Ammonia .1

Salinity 1.023

Thank you for any advice and responses.

Yep. Nothing to do but to wait. It's the single worst part of the hobby, but it passes quickly. :)

I've come to find a cycled sand bed won't do squat when compared to a healthy chunk of live rock. Plus live rock usually has at least a little die off when you place it in the tank, so your cycle pretty much started over when you put it in.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

Thanks for the reply. I see more and more grown on the rocks each day. I plan to check the parameters back in a couple days to see if they have improved.

Is it worth doing a 5 gallon water change at this point or just wait till the cycle is done and do a 10 gallon change?

Thanks for the reply. I see more and more grown on the rocks each day. I plan to check the parameters back in a couple days to see if they have improved.

Is it worth doing a 5 gallon water change at this point or just wait till the cycle is done and do a 10 gallon change?

I'm a noob too and I asked a similar question... I was told to STOP the water changes- so I would recommend to wait on the h20 change... and coincidentally, I was using the Red Sea Test kit too and I was advised to get the API kit from various members on here... I went out and bought the new kit and I'm happy I did because everyone was right when they said the RS kit was off...

+1 on the API kit.

Don't chase PH "perfection", you'll do more harm than good.

I'd just hide the PH test kit all together until you have a large population of SPS.

Even then the same rules apply.

good luck on your setup

+1 on the API kit.

I'd just hide the PH test kit all together until you have a large population of SPS.

good luck on your setup

I think that's the same advice that you gave to me! :)

+1 on the API kit.

good luck on your setup

Solid advice! It bugs me when people chase a paramater that is constantly changing for dozens of reasons.

Archived