ReefCleaners.org

Josh's {First} 20H Reef Tank!

JMCollins24

Now that I received my new light today (fishneedit 4X24 T5HO) I figured I would go ahead and finally make a build thread for my first ever Reef Tank. I was originally going to enjoy a 10g nano tank, but within 48 hours, I knew that my little heart had fallen in love and I was going to want something a little bigger! :P I figure that I'll post my original pictures of my 10g into what my current20g build is... I know most people will jump on me for having livestock in a pre-cycled tank.. but actually, I've had my two clowns since day one and they have been happy & growing since! I read, in various places, that jump starting a cycle with fish was OK and it seems that these hardy little buggers have been A-OK with it!

Tank & Setup

10g AGA --> 20g Aqueon AGA

Coralife 2x14 T5 Fixture ---> Fishneedit 4X24 T5HO Fixture (3 Actinics, 1 10k)

Aqueon QuietFlow 20 Filter AC50 with carbon and chemi pure

Aqueon 100watt Heater

Coralife Hydrometer (Swing Arm- and yes I know I need to invest in a refractometer soon!)

2" Sandbed (50/50 mix live and play sand)

50/50 mix Live Rock and Reef (dead coral) Rock Almost 100% LR

Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 Circulation Pump

Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 Circulation Pump

Cleanup Crew

2 Emerald Crabs 1 Emerald Crab

1 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

5 Astrea Snails

2 Turbo Snails

6 Red Leg hermits

5 Blue Leg Hermits

2 Bumble Bee Snails

Livestock

2 Ocellaris Clown Fish

1 Lawnmower Blenny

Corals

Green Tipped Torch Coral- 2 heads

Frogspawn

Branching Hammer- 2 heads (just sprouted a baby head- 03.27.12)

Green Heliofungia (Long tentacle plate)

Blue Cespitularia (Blue Xenia)

Miami Hurricane Zoas

Eagle Eye Zoas

Green Mushroom rock

Green Tipped Frogspawn RIP

Green Birdsnest RIP

10 Gallon Original setup

2011-12-29_00-44-17_152.jpg

2011-12-29_00-27-22_390.jpg

20 Gallon High Setup

2012-01-19_09-06-21_21.jpg

2012-01-19_09-06-42_464.jpg

2012-01-07_22-20-19_164.jpg

All 4 Bulbs

2012-01-24_15-37-42_266.jpg

All Actinics

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

FTS 03.18.12

IMG_2903.JPG

Side-View 03.18.12

IMG_2917.JPG

Moved some things around, glued them down and moved my MJ so it's a little more hidden...

FTS 03.27.12

IMG_2926.JPG

Side-View 03.27.12

IMG_2943.JPG

I'm no expert but I've also read that putting fish in pre-cycle is kind of like torturing them because ammonia and nitrites reach toxic levels.

Do you have any coral plans?

I'm no expert but I've also read that putting fish in pre-cycle is kind of like torturing them because ammonia and nitrites reach toxic levels.

Do you have any coral plans?

I know it's pretty controversial with the fish, but they have never shown and signs of stress... I know someone is bound to come and say all these mean things about it, but it is what it is and my cycle (Hopefully) is about over... As far as the corals, I would love to eventually keep SPS in my tank, but I am going to start the rookie way with some softies and work my way up into LPS and then SPS... My first corals will probably be a frogspawn and some zoas... :)

My tank tested quite nicely today!

pH- 8.0

Nitrites- 0

Ammonia- 0

Nitrates- 20

...thinking I might do a 25% water change to see if I lower the nitrates a little bit... Super happy!

I use to have a 20 H and I loved it but it was annoying trying to get to move things around since I am short.

Yea cycling with fish is not needed but I hope they stay well.

I would do a large water change to bring those nitrates down. Good luck with your tank!!!

I use to have a 20 H and I loved it but it was annoying trying to get to move things around since I am short.

Yea cycling with fish is not needed but I hope they stay well.

I would do a large water change to bring those nitrates down. Good luck with your tank!!!

Thanks!! I'm thinking I'm going to do a water change later today... B)

Have fun......

From what I keep reading all over this forum, is that people are forgetting this aspect... to me, this seems to be the biggest reason anyone would want to get into reefing... but I'm having tons of fun so far, thanks!! B)

From what I keep reading all over this forum, is that people are forgetting this aspect... to me, this seems to be the biggest reason anyone would want to get into reefing... but I'm having tons of fun so far, thanks!! B)

Me tooooo!

Keep us updated when your tank is ready for the first corals :)

Me tooooo!

Keep us updated when your tank is ready for the first corals :)

I've added a few over the past couple days... some zoa's, frogspawn and I'm giving a green bird's nest a try... All seem to be doing well...

Water Parameters (01.27)

Ammonia- 0

Nitrites- 0

Nitrates- 10 (down from 20 after a water change)

pH- 8.0

Calcium- 500 (a little high, I know...)

When the lights come back on tomorrow, I'll upload some pictures of the new friends.. B)

i left you a comment on a thread you started in the Filtration thread.

i forgot to mention, your in deep already with adding the clowns and other critters.. so waterchanges are a must... i would change agallon daily buy a big trashcan and keep water ready so you dont waste time and money. if you have the money look into an ro/di unit.

i left you a comment on a thread you started in the Filtration thread.

i forgot to mention, your in deep already with adding the clowns and other critters.. so waterchanges are a must... i would change agallon daily buy a big trashcan and keep water ready so you dont waste time and money. if you have the money look into an ro/di unit.

Thanks for all the great tips... So far, I'm pretty happy with where my water parameters are falling and I feel like I'm off to a good start... The fish and other little critters seems to be doing fine and eating healthily... As far as the water changes- I was changing the water throughout my cycle and towards the end let it rest to complete... I did a 6 gallon change the other day when my ammonia and nitrites were 0 and my nitrates were 20.. this brought them down around 10 ppm... I'll probably do another (larger) water change next week to give everything a chance to settle down...

I like your idea on the HOB refugium with the intank lights... I can't seem to be able to find them, but I'll keep searching... I'm a little concerned putting the 110 on my 20H because I think it might add too much to my current flow setup (2 X Maxi-Jet 400.)

IMO, scape looks OK. I'd recommend more flat rocks to create ledges, rather than just a pile of rocks.

I've been thinking this too and I really want to add more LR, but I'm scared of ammonia spike... I'm not thinking about adding a whole lot, just enough to create some ledges... should I be too concerned?

Not really, but you can buy some dead/dry rock that has nothing on it.

Yeah, I'd rather go LR to add more to my bio-filtration... LR in my area sells for around 3.99/ LB cured... so it's not too shabby... any good sites to recommend for dead rock?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived