SaltCritters.com

New to Saltwater 15 gallon nano

ssteven1

New Coral Yellow Polyps. :) The tank is really coming along. I finally beat the Dinos no sign of them for about two weeks. The coral are really making this tank look good. NO fuge, no sump and no skimmer.

The tank is 8 months old today. I do make 20% water changes every 4 days. For the last 2 months I have been using a Zero water pitcher to make my water from my tap water. Part of my problem with the dinos was that I went to long between water changes because I would forget to go to the store for distilled water. I need to go ahead and get a rodi filter but it works for now. I can make about 6 gallons in a day if I try.

The tank is 8 months old now.

post-70934-1345759080_thumb.jpg

post-70934-1345759091_thumb.jpg

post-70934-1345759104_thumb.jpg

IHeartMyFish
Any comment on the progress ? :)

Sweet!!! It's come a long way. Good job so far. My tank is still cloudy from adding sand. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My tank is still going stong. It is one year and 2 month old today. I moved all my fishes and several corals to a new 36 gallon bowfront about 6 months ago. I was going to tear this tank down but it is doing so well and low maintenance I decided to keep it. I got a good deal on a purple fire fish so the tank is stocked with fish once again. :)

By the way Xenia is a neat coral but grows like a weed in a non-skimmed tank. I started with one frag about 4 months ago and already have had to frag a coulpe time. My duncan is doing well also.

post-70934-0-91919800-1364174835_thumb.jpg

D E M J M M

Looks great. I'm new to this only not even a month in but have two nano tanks going 14 and 15 gal. Could you tell me the process (steps) you took when transferring rock corals and fish over to your new tank? I'm not there yet but would like to know the safest process. Thanks for any info!!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ssteven1 you are my inspiration! Your tank looks just like what I have imagined. It is stunning. I am getting my tank purchased and have bookmarked this thread. Thank you for your posts.

If I can ever just get the dang stand in, delayed shipping, I can set up my Nuvo 16!! I planned pretty much the same design and inhabitants. I am worried about the Xenia, I so want a pulsing...but afraid they will overrun the tank. I will follow you if you keep updating though. Wonder if I should start my build thread on the main board instead of here??? Great little tank, doesn't hurt to have 2 does it! LOL! They tell me I will certainly be upgrading and it looks like from those here, just about a year or two out and most of you do.

I am determined to remain true to my 1 tank plan! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the support. My tank is two years old now and is still doing well. I have thought about taking it down before and switching it over but it has done so well with now little maintenance needed I will probably leave it up long term. The Xenia does grow a lot at least in my tank. All the Xenia in my tank started as one little frag. I just prune it back every couple of months. I just cut off about 8 colonies since my last picture. The Xenia was shadowing my Duncan. I think the mass of Xenia waving and pulsing is defiantly worth it. I will try to take a movie of it.

Some advise for you guys that are starting new tanks especially those on a budget. Take it slow. Corals will grow and spread. If you look at mine all the green zoas (well over a 100 polyps) that I have came from one 15 polyp frag.I actually took the original frag and put it in another tank. All the Xenia came from one frag. The Duncan was basically one head with 4 babies (now has 18 heads).

Here is a total list of equipment that is currently on the tank.

15 gallon aquarium

100 watt heater

Korilla nano power head

Korrila 2 power head

Fish need it t5 x 4 light

Aquaclear 50 HOB filter (I would go for an Aquaclear 70 if I had to do it over, just more room)

6.5 ounce of Chemipure elite

Filter floss

Two Little Fishes magnet cleaner

That's it no skimmer and no sump. I do a 3 gallon water change every week or two. Some time that goes as long as a month. I try to change out the Chemipure every two months.

I have it stocked lightly right now I have

Purple fire fish

Red tuxedo urchin

Red emerald crab

3 hermits crabs

Some bristle worms, small hitch hiker snails I forgot the name for them right now and a whole lot of pods.

Corals

Duncan

yellow polyps

radioactive dragon eye zoas

green plays

ywo different brown green zoas

green mushrooms

purple / blue mushrooms

frogspawn

That's it, a pretty simple tank but I like it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived