Pod Your Reef

Adding new LR to tank...?

JMCollins24

I'd like to add some more live rock to my tank since I need some more flat pieces... I'm curious, how long can cured live rock be out of water before I put it in my tank with no issues? The LFS I want to buy my rock from is about 20 minutes away... I guess I could bring a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater with me to add the rock to for the ride home? It's a pretty good deal for 3.99/lb and I want to be able to fill 'er up today! :P

My LFS is 40 minutes away and they just put the rock in water in a Styrofoam box.

20 minutes is definitely not going to hurt the rock I imagine. People have their rock out of water to glue

it and such.

This is true, didn't think about the gluing piece... I'm just nervous since I'm nearing the end of my cycle that it's going to cause me to go back into it again... :huh:

I mean having the rock in water during the short drive would probably help prevent die off. It's a very short distance... The pores in the rock are gonna hold in the water. I'm not expert, but I feel like you shouldn't have a problem.

I just did a 15 minute trip with fully cured live rock completely out of water and directly into my tank. Ammonia wasn't measurable with API kit.

Archived