Top Shelf Aquatics

What type hydrometer is best?

ross76053

Okay.....I'm slowly buying gear for my soon-to-be 10-gal reef and need to know which type hydrometer is best...

What I've read:

The submersible, glass ones are the most accurate (and expensive), but occasionally need calibrating, can be difficult to read and are fragile.

The small, plastic swing-arm types can give inaccurate readings and need to be calibrated against a glass hydrometer.

What I'm clueless about:

Which ones do you guys use, and which ones work the best - including specific brands? Don't care so much about pricing - just want the best, most accurate, least pain-in-the-rear way of testing specific gravity.

Thanks!

Ross

Sea Test (Marine Enterprises) Floating Hydrome/Thermometer. 8 incher 7.00

www.DrsFosterSmith.com they work great And I let them float around in my tanks. they get covered in algae, I use a razorblade on them, good as gold !

Secondary thought, If U have 130.00 a refractometer is the best, BUT Salinity is tle least of my worries in a tank, all my tanks have fluctuated.... no ill effects.:)

Which ones do you guys use, and which ones work the best - including specific brands? Don't care so much about pricing - just want the best, most accurate, least pain-in-the-rear way of testing specific gravity.

Then using these criteria... there is ONLY one choice... a refractometer. I got a cool wife (this time,hehe) who loves cool little stocking stuffers at Xmas time. Prolly has to be the best piece of aquarium equipment I have ever owned, couldn't be any simpler, accurate as all hell plus has this way cool zippered pouch...lol Albeit a bit spendy but worth every penny!

Check out www.northcoastmarines.com

fliberdygibits

Coralife makes one called the Deep Six. Now keep in mind, EXTREME acuracy is not my biggest concern. Like was stated above, it fluccuates in nature AND in my tanks, so off by a tiny bit...... Big Whoop.

The Deep Six takes it's reading about 6 inches below the surface for better acuracy, it does NOT require you to stick your hands in the water (no contamination), it IS indeed pretty acurate and when you lift it out, the water it tested comes with it...... perfect to dump in a bowl and do all your OTHER water tests from:)

All this for the amazing low price of.... Not 15 dollars!!!! Not even 14 dollars!!!!!! But only 12.95!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to do it.... unfortunately it doesn't slice dice or "keep 2 vegetables ....... pipping hot".

• 2 weeks later...

I am not too concerned with a slight swing in salinity(.025 or.024). its not that big a deal. But if you go with a swing arm or less expensive version, find out what temperature it was calibrated with.

I use the SeaTest hydrometer. Goes all the way from 1.000 to over 1.030 -- useful for gradually increasing the salinity of a tank via slightly-salty topoff water, or for that brine shrimp hatchery, and the only one to get if you have brackish systems.

Regarding the "deep six" -- if your tank doesn't have the same s.g. at the surface as it does 6" down, you need more powerheads! :)

While the water column's s.g. should be the same at all depths, I still got bad readings with the Sea Test. The problem was that I was filling it with water from the surface (ie, holding it just below the surface, so surface water would essentially skim in). The film and gunk on the water's surface made for inconsistent readings every time.

If I made a point of lowering it into the water sideways, then uprighting it once it was compeltely sumerged, it worked a lot better.

Kissed mine goodbye and replaced it with a refractometer, though.

A few problems with those:

- at $22+ each, they're expensive

- they're good for only a very narrow range, meaning you'd probably need more than one

- they're calibrated for 60 degrees F, so you'd have to use a look-up table to find the actual s.g. for your tank's temperature

- they're breakable!

Archived