Pod Your Reef

Emergency! Please help.

Stoops718

Help! I may be freaking out for nothing, but yesterday when I got home from work I tested my water and everything has spiked significantly.

pH: 8.2 = Good

Ammonia: 0.25-0.5 ppm = Bad

Nitrite: 0.5 ppm = Bad

Nitrate: 20 ppm = Bad

Calcium: 450 = Good

If you look at my tank thread you can see my stages of my set-up.

Everything was good before I put in the livestock.

1 Zoa Colony Rock

1 Mushroom Rock

2 Mushroom Frags

2 Zoa Frags

1 YWG

All the Zoas and Mushrooms still look healthy and the fish seems well and is eating normally. I think I fed him too much (frozen brine shrimp) when I first put him in. I think this might be the reason everything spiked. Will everything be okay? Is this just normal? Besides water changes is there anything else I can add to the water? LFS swears too many water changes is bad for a nano reef as "it removes too much of the beneficial bacteria". Which makes sense but contradicts everyone else here on the forums. Please help.

-Concerned Reefer

P.S.- I'm going to post pics of everything on my tank thread below.

hi Stoops, WC are not bad for the tank and in fact will replenish essential nutrients. The corals would not have added the bioload, the fish would have, how long has the tank been running?

Anyway do WC's, as many as needed to get that ammonia down ASAP. Use prime or ammo lock if you must, bio spira helps too. Ammonia is the first killer of the fish in this case. So get that down ASAP.

1I think I fed him too much (frozen brine shrimp) when I first put him in. I think this might be the reason everything spiked.

2Besides water changes is there anything else I can add to the water?

3LFS swears too many water changes is bad for a nano reef as "it removes too much of the beneficial bacteria". P.S.- I'm going to post pics of everything on my tank thread below.

1= that is probaly what happend

2=do a water change asap

3=LFS = not all are good

1= that is probaly what happend

2=do a water change asap

3=LFS = not all are good

Thanks. How much water should I change out? Should I do a drip change or just take out as much as possible and replace?

The corals did not cause the spike, the rock they came on plus the fish caused the spike.

Your LFS is stuck on the "established water" thing. Think for a moment. Does the VAST MAJORITY of beneficial bacteria live on your live rock or in the water ...?

Exactly.

Wanna do a WC to reduce your Amm / Trite / Trate levels ...knock yourself out.

Make up say 5 gallons of SW....change 3-4 today, the rest in a couple days, then check your levels the following day and see where your at.

Most important ... don't panic...lol

I would re-test.

Adding one fish should not cause a spike like that. Even if you overfed, the CuC should clean it up before it becomes problematic.

And yes, disregard LFS advice about WCs. They're important for the health of your corals (restores trace elements corals use to grow) and removes nitrates. As Mojo implied, nitrifying bacteria lives on the surfaces within your tank, not the water column.

The corals did not cause the spike, the rock they came on plus the fish caused the spike.

Your LFS is stuck on the "established water" thing. Think for a moment. Does the VAST MAJORITY of beneficial bacteria live on your live rock or in the water ...?

Exactly.

Wanna do a WC to reduce your Amm / Trite / Trate levels ...knock yourself out.

Make up say 5 gallons of SW....change 3-4 today, the rest in a couple days, then check your levels the following day and see where your at.

Most important ... don't panic...lol

You make a lot of sense. I just took the LFS opinion into consideration because instead of trying to get me to buy something he gave advice. Which is rare for a salesman.

Going to do the WC, but you say it like I have another option. Can I just let it cycle back down on it's own?

Thanks for the input. I think I've calmed down a little. LOL

take out and replace

I would do 50 percent if you can.

It should help get the Amm down

Thanks for the advice.

I would re-test.

Adding one fish should not cause a spike like that. Even if you overfed, the CuC should clean it up before it becomes problematic.

And yes, disregard LFS advice about WCs. They're important for the health of your corals (restores trace elements corals use to grow) and removes nitrates. As Mojo implied, nitrifying bacteria lives on the surfaces within your tank, not the water column.

I forgot to mention. My CUC is acting weird and I think it is because the Nitrates are so high. 3 of the 6 nerite snails have converged on my MP10 and the 4 hermies are hiding out all on one rock. Hopefully everything will be okay when I do my WC. But until then I'll be freaking out a little at my desk at work.

Thanks for the advice.

be sure to match temp and salinity for the wc water, as not to shock anything with a large swing.

Yes. I have an extra heater and powerhead for that reason.

I would do a WC.

Some have recommended 50%, that's good.

I had said make a total of 5 gallons (thinking ya have a 5g bucket) and change 3-4 today (like 30%), wait a couple days and change the remainder of the bucket, then wait a day and check your levels.

Bottom line ... ya want to do a WC ... amount is totally up to you... 50% will make a nice dent OR ya can do smaller amounts over several days and bring everything down slowly.

Either way will work my friend ... and you'll be back in business.

Edit:

Wish I could get $30 million to ride the bench for the NY Yankees ....

You a fan there Stoops?

I would do a WC.

Some have recommended 50%, that's good.

I had said make a total of 5 gallons (thinking ya have a 5g bucket) and change 3-4 today (like 30%), wait a couple days and change the remainder of the bucket, then wait a day and check your levels.

Bottom line ... ya want to do a WC ... amount is totally up to you... 50% will make a nice dent OR ya can do smaller amounts over several days and bring everything down slowly.

Either way will work my friend ... and you'll be back in business.

Well, I forgot to state in my original post. I have a 12 gallon. So I think the 5 gallon change would be close 50% the volume of the actual water that's in there. Thanks again for the help/

Ok so I figured out what spiked my levels. Almost embarrassed to post it but it was a total n00b mistake and hopefully other first timers will learn from it. When I went to the first LFS on Sunday (See tank thread), the salesman there sold me on this stuff called TLC which he claimed would be great to put in my tank before adding any Livestock as it would bring down any ammonia/NO2/NO3 that was in the tank. No water change necessary. As eager as I was to stock up my tank I gave in and bought some and dumped in the recommended amount for my tank size. End of story. Last night test showed a significant spike as I stated in the original post. Did some googling today. TLC is cycle accelerator which contains LIVE BACTERIA. So now my tank is mini cycling right now.

Safe to say. My fish and coral should be okay and I am doing an almost 50% water change as soon as I get home. Still can't believe after all the patience I have had with setting this tank up. I made 2 major mistakes

1) Rushing

2) Trusting my LFS

Ok so I figured out what spiked my levels. Almost embarrassed to post it but it was a total n00b mistake and hopefully other first timers will learn from it. When I went to the first LFS on Sunday (See tank thread), the salesman there sold me on this stuff called TLC which he claimed would be great to put in my tank before adding any Livestock as it would bring down any ammonia/NO2/NO3 that was in the tank. No water change necessary. As eager as I was to stock up my tank I gave in and bought some and dumped in the recommended amount for my tank size. End of story. Last night test showed a significant spike as I stated in the original post. Did some googling today. TLC is cycle accelerator which contains LIVE BACTERIA. So now my tank is mini cycling right now.

Safe to say. My fish and coral should be okay and I am doing an almost 50% water change as soon as I get home. Still can't believe after all the patience I have had with setting this tank up. I made 2 major mistakes

1) Rushing

2) Trusting my LFS

Did my water change. All corals are still fully open and my YWG doesn't seem to be stressed or struggling, although he has been hiding a lot. Testing levels when I get home from work.

Glad to hear things are getting better. I had some macro algae that went sexual in my tank a few weeks ago. I thought i was doomed. I just tried to stay calm and get a large WC going and things turned out fine. Its so hard not to freak out when something you put so much time money and love into starts going downhill. Now i have bryopsis.... good times

Glad to hear things are getting better. I had some macro algae that went sexual in my tank a few weeks ago. I thought i was doomed. I just tried to stay calm and get a large WC going and things turned out fine. Its so hard not to freak out when something you put so much time money and love into starts going downhill. Now i have bryopsis.... good times

It is such a wonderful hobby/passion. I am already trying to figure out where I can fit a Red Sea Max.

Archived