ReefCleaners.org

Pico Reef

HoustonReefer

HoustonReefer

Hi, new member here, i already have a biocube29 in my living room, and i wanna have a pico reef on my desk upstairs, no more than 5 gallons, im planning on using a pice of live rock and water from the biocube, do water changes with water from the biocube every other day, is this possible or am i just looking for trouble? lol B)

Welcome to NR. Cool to have another Houston reefer join us. It is really dependent on the type of corals you want to keep in the 5 gallon. It is very possible and not hard to do.

thadscottmoore

welcome to the club! another not so far away neighbor reefer! one of these days- we should have a Southeast Texas Nano-Reef/ Marsh/ South East Texas Reef Society (SETRS) pico group meet! PJ86 is a legend in the pico world on here! some serious talent and experience to learn from!

HoustonReefer
Welcome to NR. Cool to have another Houston reefer join us. It is really dependent on the type of corals you want to keep in the 5 gallon. It is very possible and not hard to do.

:D Nothing fancy, zoas, some mushrooms, perhaps a pusling xenia, snails, the easier the better.

Look into the aqueon evolve series from petco. They're damned cheap aios that don't need upgrades to support what you're looking for. They start at like $40 for the 2gal (may be cheaper in store).

I just started a 5.5 and am sadly eyeing the 4 or 8gal aios :-P.

http://www.petco.com/product/117467/Aqueon...esultRedirect=1

There are like 3-4 people who have them here if you look through the member threads.

HoustonReefer
welcome to the club! another not so far away neighbor reefer! one of these days- we should have a Southeast Texas Nano-Reef/ Marsh/ South East Texas Reef Society (SETRS) pico group meet! PJ86 is a legend in the pico world on here! some serious talent and experience to learn from!

yeah maybe in the near future lol :D

Im wondering if i should use water from my BC29 or make the nano have its own water

HoustonReefer
Look into the aqueon evolve series from petco. They're damned cheap aios that don't need upgrades to support what you're looking for. They start at like $40 for the 2gal (may be cheaper in store).

I just started a 5.5 and am sadly eyeing the 4 or 8gal aios :-P.

http://www.petco.com/product/117467/Aqueon...esultRedirect=1

There are like 3-4 people who have them here if you look through the member threads.

Thank you, it seems like a good option, what kinda heater do u use for your nano?

Thank you, it seems like a good option, what kinda heater do u use for your nano?

Mine actually just got wet tonight, and I use a petco branded 50w heater. A 50w heater fits in the back of those (check out the reviews)!

HoustonReefer

I bought the aqueon evolve from petsmart,and it seems like a good pico for the price, the only thing i added was a small marina heater.

The tank is up and running with sand and about 1.5lb of LR, ill post pics later today.

I bought the aqueon evolve from petsmart,and it seems like a good pico for the price, the only thing i added was a small marina heater.

The tank is up and running with sand and about 1.5lb of LR, ill post pics later today.

Very cool. Maybe create a thread in the "members' Aquariums" section.

Which one did you get?

You may need to add a tiny additional powerhead, but some other mods to consider are:

Cheato/fuge area in the back chamber

light upgrade (eventually).

The stock light is supposedly pretty good for soft corals and stuff towards the top.

HoustonReefer
Very cool. Maybe create a thread in the "members' Aquariums" section.

Which one did you get?

You may need to add a tiny additional powerhead, but some other mods to consider are:

Cheato/fuge area in the back chamber

light upgrade (eventually).

The stock light is supposedly pretty good for soft corals and stuff towards the top.

I bought the 2g, i think the stock pump when set on high has a pretty good flow, a tiny fuge would be nice lol

I have recently started a pico also.

I notice you said use water from your BC. That would be fine to start the tank, because the water will be dirty. But, when doing water changes make sure you use new RO/DI mixed saltwater. You will need those nutrients to be replenished and if you put water out of the BC every time it will not be like doing a water change at all.

Also, i run a par38 and love it with no complaints! modded AC70 with chaeto, and a nano koralia PH. All great equip. so far!! Good Luck!!

Archived