Top Shelf Aquatics

First go at a nano

ssgtgonzo

So I decided after sucessfully keeping a 125g mixed reef and 90g FOWLR, I may as well try my hand at keeping a nano reef. I read through the articles on this website and many others and finally started. I chose a 5.5g glass aquarium because I didn't want to have a sump and all kinds of things hanging off the back, besides a powerhead for water movement. I knew I would be able to change water often (every other day) so I decided to go small, that way it's simple for me to change 20% every time.

I used an old pump that I had laying about and connected a piece of cpvc and an elbow to create a powerhead that would also create some undertow. I put maybe 10lbs of LR, no substrate. I have 2 nanotuners 6500k/450nm par 38's for lighting and a small 50w heater.

As for livestock, I have 2 maxi mini anemones, a dwarf BTA (NOT a majano), a crocea, joker favia, xenias, zoanthids, grapes of wrath platygyra, green digitata, orange monti cap, a monti confusa, green blastos, a tiny toadstool, a tiny frag of valida, a greyish blue and red micromussa, skittles acans, and various zoanthids. I have some macroalgae sprouting up from some LR I got from a friend, I'm sure they are considered pest algae, but I'm keeping it in check...one is ochtodes, and the other is a leafy red algae. As for "higher" forms of life, I have a nano pencil urchin and a couple of nerite snails for algae control, and 2 peppermint shrimp to take care of any aiptasia and general clean up from feeding the LPS.

This picture is of the tank when I was using 2 PC lights, but given that I have a crocea, I decided to upgrade to the par 38s

2011-12-17182454.jpg

Here is a top down picture of what it currently looks like. As you can see, my blue maxi mini isn't looking too great. I tried to put a piece of shrimp on its tentacles, but they didn't even stick. Should I get him out?

2012-01-23211139.jpg

Lastly, I felt like I needed to add a little more to the biological filter and flow, so I added a biowheel powerfilter. They are both housed to the right side of the aquarium, I'm thinking of building a false wall to hide it.

Everything is frag sized right now, but doing well (except that maxi mini). When corals get too big, I plan to move them to the 125. I enjoyed this tank so much that I'm building a 29g cube to house my frogfish.

a dwarf BTA (NOT a majano)

lol!

Looks like a slice of reef straight from the ocean without any substrate. Jam packed = cool.

lol!

Looks like a slice of reef straight from the ocean without any substrate. Jam packed = cool.

Thanks! Thats a great compliment! I really enjoy that i can make that look in a nano...i, like most people not named bill gates, have limited resources, so doing that in my 125 is impossible, but Ive always wanted that look.

If you, or anyone else has any tips please share...Im trying to learn more all the time on this. Thanks again!

Tank looks great! I'm not sure you need that bio wheel. They tend to elevate nitrates. Let your live rock be the biological filter. Let's see what others say...

Well the blue maxi ended up moving lower on the rock, he must not have liked the increased lighting from the par 38s. So while he was in an optimal position for me to remove him, I took him out and fragged him. I put half of him back where he was, and the other in a safe area in the 29 gallon than my angler is currently in. (It's on a frag rack that's suspended near the top, Jabba won't get stung) Hope this is as easy as everyone makes it seem!

Maybe you could raise the PAR38s up and over time lower them so that the corals can acclimate slower to the more intense light?

I also agree on the biowheel. Well, that's just what I've heard. I assume it's not in the photo? I don't see it. Is it the HOB kind? You could remove the biofilter part and put something else in there.... some filter floss and chemipure? Treat it like the backs of all-in-one nanos. Just an idea.

I want a photo of the nano pencil urchin! I didn't know they came in smaller sizes. I've only ever seen the huge ones while diving and in giant tanks.

Oh and a photo of the dwarf BTA. Is it small just cause it's a baby or is it a smaller variety? I'd love to have an anemone in my 12g but I don't want it to take over so that I can have other coral.

Maybe you could raise the PAR38s up and over time lower them so that the corals can acclimate slower to the more intense light?

I also agree on the biowheel. Well, that's just what I've heard. I assume it's not in the photo? I don't see it. Is it the HOB kind? You could remove the biofilter part and put something else in there.... some filter floss and chemipure? Treat it like the backs of all-in-one nanos. Just an idea.

I want a photo of the nano pencil urchin! I didn't know they came in smaller sizes. I've only ever seen the huge ones while diving and in giant tanks.

Oh and a photo of the dwarf BTA. Is it small just cause it's a baby or is it a smaller variety? I'd love to have an anemone in my 12g but I don't want it to take over so that I can have other coral.

The pencil urchin and dwarf bta is in the top down picture. I know it's like where's waldo so let me tell you where it is. The urchin is just below the pink maxi mini. The dwarf bta is on the bottom left right near the glass. I really thought it was a majano, even though i bought it from a very reputable lfs. I have got it to split twice since i got it, and it never gets bigger than a 50 cent piece. I got it from reefsystems.com...i lIve by them so i just went and bought him. The proprietor is very knowledgable and helpful. He'll let you know if he has any in case you were interested.

The pencil urchin and dwarf bta is in the top down picture. I know it's like where's waldo so let me tell you where it is. The urchin is just below the pink maxi mini. The dwarf bta is on the bottom left right near the glass. I really thought it was a majano, even though i bought it from a very reputable lfs. I have got it to split twice since i got it, and it never gets bigger than a 50 cent piece. I got it from reefsystems.com...i lIve by them so i just went and bought him. The proprietor is very knowledgable and helpful. He'll let you know if he has any in case you were interested.

I see I see! Mini anything is maximum cuteness :happy:

That doesn't change the fact that I want more photos though. You can't get away that easily!

You've got quite a bit jammed in there. looking good.

Yes, but I'm only keeping fragged size coral in there...when they get too big, I'm going to put them in the 125, and frag a bit to put back in the 5.5. We have a good reefer club here, I can share with others.

I see I see! Mini anything is maximum cuteness :happy:

That doesn't change the fact that I want more photos though. You can't get away that easily!

Well the pencil urchin was cooperating, and the BTA was having one of its flaccid days, so it wouldn't have looked that great. I had fed them the night before, it usually looks like that after it expels its waste after feeding. I'll try again tomorrow!

Well the pencil urchin was cooperating, and the BTA was having one of its flaccid days, so it wouldn't have looked that great. I had fed them the night before, it usually looks like that after it expels its waste after feeding. I'll try again tomorrow!

:D

Thwomp the urchin. He grows more everytime i see him.

2012-01-27223910.jpg

and here is my baby toadstool

2012-01-26194953.jpg

Even better picture of Thwomp, with an sd card for scale

2012-01-27224536.jpg

2 par 38's for a 5.5g tank? thats way too much light at one time unless you acclimated them to it. Even then that's a ton of light for a tank that size.

yeah they were under pc's, then one par 30, then one par 38, then the two. my centerpiece for this pico is my crocea...and it appreciates all the light!

I posted a picture of my dwarf BTA in my angler thread.

Archived