Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish Stocking

PwnMe

Hello all. I plan on doing a nano reef. I read a bunch about which fish to keep and what not. I know I have a small tank, I plan on keeping one fish only. What are my choices? I read every guide on fish stocking, and with all aquarium information it differs heavily.

I would like to get a general opinion on the subject. I would either like a clown, a yellow tailed damsel, a green chromis, royal gramma, or a pygmy wrasse. I tend not to like the gobies due to short lifespan and general disinterest. These are all fish that the nano-reef guide said would fit. But I like opinion.

I hope to get some comments on this topic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello all. I plan on doing a nano reef. I read a bunch about which fish to keep and what not. I know I have a small tank, I plan on keeping one fish only. What are my choices? I read every guide on fish stocking, and with all aquarium information it differs heavily.

I would like to get a general opinion on the subject. I would either like a clown, a yellow tailed damsel, a green chromis, royal gramma, or a pygmy wrasse. I tend not to like the gobies due to short lifespan and general disinterest. These are all fish that the nano-reef guide said would fit. But I like opinion.

I hope to get some comments on this topic

One chromis would suck. &

I wouldn't do a wrasse in 8g.

A small clown might be fine.

I figured no chromis due to the schooling behavior.

A Pygmy Wrasse only grows to be 2.5 inches. I thought this would be an awesome size.

I'm worried about a clown because it seems like everyone thinks it's too big for an 8 gallon.

My LFS tried to sell me a Fluval Spec and said a clown would fit... it's two gallons. I laughed.

I'm extremely interested in a Yellow Tail, but I'm not sure it'll fit.

bpatterson617

I had a yellowtail in my 10 gallon for about six months. He seemed very happy....it was all my other critters that were not very happy lol The damsel was kind of a bully, even to crabs and snails, but its a beautiful fish that is pretty active. I think one would be fine.

I'll research the "anger issues" of the damsel.

I just want one small fish. I don't plan on overstocking and I'll do the typical water changes.

I would like as much input on this subject as possible. I just don't want a goby that lives

for a year and croaks from old age. I enjoy having fish for the long term.

I have a oclown and a geometric pygmy hawkfish in my 8 gallon.both seem happy go lucky. People say 8is too small for a clown, maybe, maybe not (totm winners have had clowns in 5 if I'm not mistaken) but Imo 8 is fine for mine, at least for now hes still a baby. I have a nuvo16 waiting on the wings to move all my stock into once I move!

But you will be able to find people on here that say any size tank is too small, idealist who hate sub 30 gallon tanks. Read a lot and make up your mind after compiling all the opinions you can. But most people will push you towards gobies

I also do weekly 1.5 gallon wc's and have had stable water conditions but again both my fish are babies half the size of full grown versions ive seen. But long term I'm comfortable with my setup

Its understandable considering that sub 30 gallon reef tanks are still kind of new.

A baby clown would be nice, yet again the entire tank would belong to the clown.

Problem I see with the gobies is the life span, a year to two years. Otherwise I'd def get

a Rainfordi or something.

Any other suggestions? I enjoy the opinions as I attempt to piece together my tank.

FWIW I have 2 large (2"+) Occy clowns, a 1" chromis, and a rather active 2" peppermint shrimp in a 10g for about 6 months in a full 10g reef tank(including sps), without issue. I do water changes every 4-5 days, and i realize this is the exception not the rule, but just for reference.

I think the issue comes down to what I can do maintenance wise as opposed to fish size. Clowns have a bigger bioload than all the little gobies, but I'm willing to do the water changes. I jut don't want to cram the fish into a little prison. That's why I felt pretty good about just one fish. No need to fight for space.

I know the whole 1" to a gallon or 1/2" to a gallon and all are just general rules and should pretty much never be followed. I assume one fish that is below 3 inches should be reasonable. Are some of my listed choices less of swimmers than others?

And I saw a few pictures of a "Cryptic Sixline Wrasse." In the pictures it looked identical to a Sixline, but coming in at an adult size of 2.5". Does this beautiful little fish exist, or are people pulling my leg?

a criptic six line is actually an 8 line the lfs here just got one for their display awesome looking fish

if you can find some dwarf clowns that would be great. (they do exist)

I had some with my last batch of clowns 5 never grew. 2years old and one is still about 1/2" the other is about an inch almost

personally I would go with a few gobies

I just got some sharknose gobies and they are great! always out and about and not scared at all. if I put my hand in the tank one always swims over and sits on my hand

Gobies are just out of the question. I understand I don't have a huge tank, it's mostly to watch the hermits, which I adore. I just wouldn't mind getting something small in there to swim around. I just don't want to forcefully cram it. I know selective breeding can produce small dogs and cats, just curious to whether it can for fish.

I am doing research on Stubby Clownfish to see if they actually exist.

In regards to the Cryptic Sixline, I don't believe it's an Eightline because they grow to be about 5.5" whereas people claim the Cryptic gets to be 2.5". Hell it might not even exist.

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_a...ine-wrasse.html

I'm not looking for an answer from you guys... I just like the input to make a final decision. I know Siwelk tends to side with humane treatment of fish as I saw from his other posts, so it'd be nice to hear more from him.

The main issue is the wealth of information all differs majorly.

6 lines are super active. i would do a small shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp they have a cool relationship and dont need a lot of space. or i also like barnacle blennies. clown gobys area option too.

I would suggest looking at a firefish (which are wormfish, not gobies)- they are active swimmers, not really aggressive and mine is always hanging out at the front of the tank.

why dont you want gobies,a YWG can live up to 10 years,if you add a pistol shrimp it would be a really good conversation piece

Surprised me about the lifespan of a YWG. Only issue with the shrimp gobies is they are gonna be utilizing the bottom of the aquarium, where I'm looking for something that will be actively swimming around. I will look at them next time I go to my LFS. I might fall in love because I know they have pairs with the shrimp.

In regards to the Sixline... I'm still looking for more definite information on the 2.5". Whether or not it exists.

What is the lifespan on clown gobies? I'm reading about 2 years at max. Rainfordi?

Any other species anyone hear about that hasn't been tested? I see some sites showing pretty cool fish they aren't really included in any nano reef lists that seem small.

Dottyback and Damsels really interest me... I know about the aggression issues, but an entire tank to themselves... surely that must count for something.

I'm gonna find a way to breed dwarf saltwater fish. Like 1 inch versions of clownfish and tangs or something. I'd be rich.

the only reason they arent listed as nano even through they may be 2 inches long is due to a number of reasons including feeding habits, aggression,ect. technically you could put a sixline in an 8 gallon,but it would be the only fish in there besides possibly a burrowing goby

I looked up videos of pistol/goby pairs and I am quite interested.

I have a tight fitting canopy and no competition so that is why there is this discussion. Feeding would be targeted. I won't pull a Mr. Rogers and pour my entire thing of food in the tank. That is the only reason that I am considering anything more than a goby. A sump is in the plans possibly.

Anything interesting in terms of midlevel swimmers?

I looked up videos of pistol/goby pairs and I am quite interested.

I have a tight fitting canopy and no competition so that is why there is this discussion. Feeding would be targeted. I won't pull a Mr. Rogers and pour my entire thing of food in the tank. That is the only reason that I am considering anything more than a goby. A sump is in the plans possibly.

Anything interesting in terms of midlevel swimmers?

I'd go with a tailspot blenny, if you're only going to have one fish it would be a good choice because you get a little bit of everything. Mine swims in all areas of the tank, perches some, and has a great personality for a fish lol. I had mine by himself in an 8g Biocube before uprgrading and he seemed perfectly happy

I'm liking that tailspot.

I have been contacted by an online fish breeder about Stubby Clownfish. I understand this is a defect and the fish aren't suitable for breeding. But they seem willing to give me one for free with shipping. I'm all for not culling fish. Any more information on future health of Stubby Clowns. Keeping one would give me the happiness of keeping an unlucky cute clownfish and giving it a good life.

Here's where I am at...

Clownfish - Appropriate water changes and targeted feeding.

Stubby Clownfish - Trying to give a poor creature a home.

Yellow Tailed Damsel - They are pretty small.

Tailspot Blenny - They're growing on me.

Pistol Goby Pair - Shrimp are pretty legit.

Those are listed in order of preference. I mean the Nano-Reef Keeping book that is like the bible to nanoreefs lists real small tank requirements. It''s just tough getting facts.

I know double posts are frowned upon...

Is it possible for my aquarium to go through no cycle? I'm confused. I added cured live rock. I added dead aragonite sand. I added salt water. Heated. Circulation. I decided to wait a week and all water parameters were fine. No ammonia... no nitrite... and no nitrate. Unless my eyesight is miserable.

Another thing... I don't like the thought of stunted growth. Would a clownfish die or be stressed in such a sized tank. I have a friend with one in a similar sized tank playing in the Xenia all day. I think I may just take a trip to the LFS and look at all my choices and decide then... Hopefully with none of their help.

clown should be fine in there. but to throw a wrench in the mix why not a pair of bangaii cardinals? they are great fish give the effect of being frozen in time the way they can just hover with out obvious movement. i plan on keeping a trio in my old tank (ada 60-f) total volume is 8.75 gallons. although when i had it up last time i had 2 clowns and 1 mandarin. and like 97 sp. of coral. lol

A mandarin. That's intense. Beautiful fish.

And the cardinals just creep me out typically. They have big eyes. :D But for real I need a little bit of action with some fish swimming around. Clowns just have the personality that I enjoy.

I am enjoying all of the input though. Now if only my tank would do something. I'm not even growing algae.

Edit: Gabe maybe you should send me some free coral frags... after all my birthday is in 10 months :P I looked at your tank threads.

Is it possible for my aquarium to go through no cycle? I'm confused. I added cured live rock. I added dead aragonite sand. I added salt water. Heated. Circulation. I decided to wait a week and all water parameters were fine. No ammonia... no nitrite... and no nitrate. Unless my eyesight is miserable.

A couple things as to why you aren't having a cycle. First, you added cured live rock. It is probably fully of bacteria and had no die-off in your tank. Second, you aren't feeding the tank. There's nothing to cycle if the rock didn't have die-off and you aren't feeding.

A couple things as to why you aren't having a cycle. First, you added cured live rock. It is probably fully of bacteria and had no die-off in your tank. Second, you aren't feeding the tank. There's nothing to cycle if the rock didn't have die-off and you aren't feeding.

And I thought the same thing... so I added in some brine shrimp after feeding my cichlids. We'll see. Just amazed to have zero die off... my rock was put into a bag with no water when I bought it.

Yes or no... Hoping this is a reasonable choice because I love this fish...

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/damsels/devilfish.php

Archived