ReefCleaners.org

True vs. False Percula

10g Reef

I am trying to decide on which clowns to get for my new 30 gallon reef. I plan to eventually have them host a hammer coral. It is between two tank-raised true perculas or two tank-raised ocellaris clowns. I don't care which is hardier or anything like that, just personal opinions on which you like better. Also please say if you have had aggression problems with either species, as I plan to house these with a very timid wrasse.

I have an occy.. he bites me, but not aggressive toward other fish. Look at the fish in person if you can and pick whichever you prefer.

I like Percula. They have better color but are a little bit more aggressive. Don't count on them hosting your hammer coral, especially if you want them too!

I am trying to decide on which clowns to get for my new 30 gallon reef. I plan to eventually have them host a hammer coral. It is between two tank-raised true perculas or two tank-raised ocellaris clowns. I don't care which is hardier or anything like that, just personal opinions on which you like better. Also please say if you have had aggression problems with either species, as I plan to house these with a very timid wrasse.

First, i wouldn't plan on them being hosted by anything. They will do what they want. You have very little say in the matter.

Second, seems weird that you dont care which is hardier. I think that is an important thing to consider before adding some poor liveatock to the tank.

Finally, get the ones that you like best and best fit your goals for the tank. CF can live to be 10 or 12 years old, they will be around for a long time.

I have never had percs, but my ocellaris clowns were great. They would eat anything(except greens) and never picked fights with anything but me and eachother.

First, i wouldn't plan on them being hosted by anything. They will do what they want. You have very little say in the matter.

Second, seems weird that you dont care which is hardier. I think that is an important thing to consider before adding some poor liveatock to the tank.

Finally, get the ones that you like best and best fit your goals for the tank. CF can live to be 10 or 12 years old, they will be around for a long time.

I have never had percs, but my ocellaris clowns were great. They would eat anything(except greens) and never picked fights with anything but me and eachother.

Ya I understand they won't necessarily host, but I'm hoping. Also, it is not that I don't care which is hardier, I know ocellaris are generally considered to be hardier, but I just didn't want 10 comments saying to get ocellaris because they are hardier. I have had multiple clowns before and know how to care for them, so I am not too worried about hardiness. I plan on keeping these clowns with a very timid wrasse, which is why I am leaning towards ocellaris as they are said to be more peaceful. Has anyone had problems with aggression from either species?

Ya I understand they won't necessarily host, but I'm hoping. Also, it is not that I don't care which is hardier, I know ocellaris are generally considered to be hardier, but I just didn't want 10 comments saying to get ocellaris because they are hardier. I have had multiple clowns before and know how to care for them, so I am not too worried about hardiness. I plan on keeping these clowns with a very timid wrasse, which is why I am leaning towards ocellaris as they are said to be more peaceful. Has anyone had problems with aggression from either species?

clowns can live and breed for 20+ years i think ORA had a pair that was over 25 years old. just wanted to correct that.

out of my 14 pairs i have, my Occy type clowns are more aggressive than my Perc clowns. my darwin occy are meaner than my laying gold stripe maroons. i had my darwin clowns actually jump out of the water to bite me. my rods onyx and picasso's are very docile and dont mind when i put my hands in the tank to remove the pot or cleaning. and perc's will stay smaller than on occy clown.

i would get a nice pair of onyx clowns than just a reg perc or occy.

I have heard and read that true percula are the least aggressive of the clown fish. That doesn't mean that they are not aggressive , it means that they are the least aggressive of the clowns.

i think each fish is different as far as aggression goes, my 2 occys are good to the other fish (unless they go near their hosting elegance) but if i stick me hand in for cleaning or something they will both swim around my fingers they both eat out of my hands

my lfs recently had dark orange almost red occy's for sale that looked AMAZING!!

I say go for True Percs here are mine hosting on Duncan but at night they migrate over to the hammerhead. If i had enough money i would get Picasso.

IMG_0267.jpg

I'd get the Percula. They seem to have better colouration/patterns as said before. Their prices are higher though but then again it all depends on what you are willing to spend for a fish. Both Percula and Occeleris are 2 of the most peaceful clowns you can get and about equal in this regard.

Archived