Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the damage from a temp drop show immediately or later?

It would show immediately from my experience. I had that happen once and mine was from forgetting to plug a heater back in after a water change. I had some zoas that refused to open for a few days after that. Even lost some of them. That was the worst of it though. I'm pretty confident saying you will be fine :happy:

Did you have fun in the mountains? Were you skiing?

Just got home after being in the mountains for the weekend. It didn't get above 27 there so I know if was pretty cold here to. My temp is 70. SEVENTY. But oddly everything seems fine... open and there's been some growth in the GSP and a couple baby palys. Bozo and Bailey seem normal. Made sure my heater was working... it is. Turned it up a bit to bring the temp back up slowly. I'm definitely buying one of those hagen jager heaters.

Does the damage from a temp drop show immediately or later?

I am not sure about damage (in the plant world, it can be both), but while 70 is chilly, it's not that bad. I initially ran my tank at 74-75 before bumping it up to a more consistent 78. In the wild, the coral we keep are near the surface which means they must be able to handle variation due to weather. A week of cloudy, stormy weather can drop the water temp a few degrees, too. In the Gulf, the air temperature can vary as much as 30 degrees in one day during the winter (we were at 19 this morning in G'ville -- we'll be at 70 by tomorrow afternoon). I think coral can take a bit of short-term variation.

It is the high heat that cooks things, you might be okay with the low temperature. Time will tell.

:)

Did you have fun in the mountains? Were you skiing?

Georgia mountains. Not like your mountains. Our mountains are old and wise. We had some snow :happy: but not enough to cover the ground.

I think coral can take a bit of short-term variation.

Good point about the wild. Plus, they've gotta get pretty chilly while shipping, even if there are heat packs.

I think the problem was after putting the surface skimmer on, the water level in the last chamber where the heater was dropped down to half. Maybe that made the heather not kick on. I moved it to the first chamber where the water level stays high.

In other news... since this forum has been so cool, I joined one about weight loss. I also signed up for My Fitness Pal to track what I eat and exercise. Woot woot. Hope this motivation stays. fingerscrossed Maybe instead of rewarding myself with food like I usually do in the past... my reward can be new coral :D

Temperature is back to 80 and everything looks good except the xenia, which has looked a little wilted over the past few days. I keep moving it around and can't seem to find a good spot. The tips are turning white. Perhaps it's too much light?

Went to Petco to get a calcium test. My local Petco doesn't carry it. Their saltwater livestock looked pretty sad. all kinds of algae on the half dead corals, dead starfish, dead harlequin shrimp... a few of the corals looks really good, they must have just gotten those. :(

Not sure what the white tips might mean. Is it like that during the day when the lights are on? My cloves get white tips at night when lights are out. In fact they have it right now. It's not there during the daytime.

Petco's fish department can be quite depressing!

:D

This is my motto for the day:

fiscally-but-not-sexually-valentines-day-ecard-someecards.jpg

Happy Valentines Day! Gena's got me beat giving everyone a cute little animals card, so cute!

;) May your corals give back the love you give them with great polyp extension.

I'll be watching what happens with your xenia. Mine all seemed to die...then, after an explosion of nitrate, they have come back...zombie xenia? I even have diatom back on my sand bed! I think something died besides the clove polyps and I need to change water every couple of days for a week or so.

Love the polyp extension Valentine's wish! My leather looked all funky today -- I panicked, hit NR for some info, and found out that leathers are known to get weird for a bit, then fluff back out. And it did, a couple of hours later. Sigh. Polyp love is hard.

Congrats on the other goals. Weight can be particularly difficult. You have to get yourself in a "no excuses" mindset for a few months, then the brain helps by rewarding your good discipline with lovely little bits of dopamine. The dopamine feeds the discipline, the discipline feeds the dopamine -- a good cycle, and with no algae bloom!

-- a good cycle, and with no algae bloom!

:happy:

I didn't know this but Kenya trees do the same thing as your standard leather coral...shrinking down and then shedding..only to open up bigger when done :)

Yeah the petcos can be hit or miss with stock, but always in bad shape, i feel bad for the fishys :( but thats why I stop often, bc If you catch stuff when its new it has a better shot. But You can get some deals. Mine still has picasso clowns. 5 left. For 16.99. Marked as true percula. Idiots. I wish i had somewhere to put a pair. Get em humpin. Pay for lots of corals.

-- a good cycle, and with no algae bloom!

hahahahahahahahha good advice :) I was gone last night, visited my girlfriend. Hopefully the xenia looks better tonight. I moved it to be in the shade so hopefully that will give it a a break from the LEDs (in case that's the problem).

I didn't know this but Kenya trees do the same thing as your standard leather coral...shrinking down and then shedding..only to open up bigger when done :)

That's interesting. Moody corals. Sounds like birch trees shedding their bark.

Get em humpin. Pay for lots of corals.

:wizard:

That's interesting. Moody corals. Sounds like birch trees shedding their bark.

I was really surprised to see it. Every now and then they would shrink down, but the other day I saw the skin shedding. I guess I never really thought of kenya tree as a leather, but it is :)

I hope you and your girl had a wonderful Valentine's Day :happy:

I was really surprised to see it. Every now and then they would shrink down, but the other day I saw the skin shedding. I guess I never really thought of kenya tree as a leather, but it is :)

I hope you and your girl had a wonderful Valentine's Day :happy:

Oh yeah... I never thought of it as leather either ha. In my mind it is beginner coral number 1.

Oh we did. I made goat cheese and basil stuffed chicken, honey roasted sweet potatoes, garlic asparagus, and those new toll house turtle cookies (omg you have to try them). And wine. I can't tell you what she gave me ;)

Okay so water. Dumb me just assumed RO/DI meant water purified by reverse osmosis AND distillation. But no. It's deionization. So I've been buying jugs of water labeled RO. I get distilled water for my plants. Should I just get distilled water for my tank too? I assume jugged water (hehe) is 0 TDS. I've always done this and never had an issue... but you know I'm always open to ways to improve. Especially cheap ones.

That dinner sounds delicious! Lucky girl :happy:

Use distilled water for your tank. It's 0 TDS. I always test mine to make sure though, before I use it. It's always tested at 0 for me. RO will still have "stuff" in it. Which is great for drinking yourself, but not for your tank.

That dinner sounds delicious! Lucky girl :happy:

Use distilled water for your tank. It's 0 TDS. I always test mine to make sure though, before I use it. It's always tested at 0 for me. RO will still have "stuff" in it. Which is great for drinking yourself, but not for your tank.

Noo I'm the lucky one.

Okay... I'll switch. Someone recently said "distilled is the bee nees if you don't have an RO/DI." I thought.. hmm.. that's not what I use and it got me wondering. Funny how I haven't had any problems though. Now I'm anxious to see if I get more growth or something from switching! Yay experiments!

Noo I'm the lucky one.

Okay... I'll switch. Someone recently said "distilled is the bee nees if you don't have an RO/DI." I thought.. hmm.. that's not what I use and it got me wondering. Funny how I haven't had any problems though. Now I'm anxious to see if I get more growth or something from switching! Yay experiments!

That was Nevermore's quote. I've noticed a huge difference with my change. In a good way :)

Noo I'm the lucky one.

I don't have an RO/DI and I was thinking the same thing last night. I usually get my water from a vending machine outside of a local grocery store. As I was about to buy Distilled water last night, my cousin was getting his water outside for his saltwater mix and I measured it at ranging between 0-2 TDS. Was mostly hitting 1TDS. So I hope I'm fine with that.

BTW. Your clowns are awesome! Have they paired or are they attacking each other? My cousin was thinking of mixing things up like you.

I don't have an RO/DI and I was thinking the same thing last night. I usually get my water from a vending machine outside of a local grocery store. As I was about to buy Distilled water last night, my cousin was getting his water outside for his saltwater mix and I measured it at ranging between 0-2 TDS. Was mostly hitting 1TDS. So I hope I'm fine with that.

BTW. Your clowns are awesome! Have they paired or are they attacking each other? My cousin was thinking of mixing things up like you.

Which water machine??????

Which water machine??????

They can be found outside of any Ralphs I think. They're called Aquafill. Premium Water. At first I was hesitant because it just says:

"WATER PROCESS: This multi-Step State of the Art water treatment includes micron-prefiltration, Reverse Osmosis seperation, double ultraviolet sterilization, and a post carbon polish.

NUTRITION FACTS: ... Calories 0 Total Fat: 0 Carbs: 0 Protein: 0"

... It didn't mention De-Ionization. But I'm assuming that the "micron-prefiltration" could be it? Not sure. Anyways thats what I use. :lol:

... but yeah about 0-2 TDS from my TDS meter just last night.

Archived