Cultivated Reef

In case of a power outage....

zacheyp

Get a a cheap inverter when places like fry's or schucks have big sales.

last time i checked household power is 120v 60hz Ac

a inverter changes dc back to ac. Rectifier changes ac to dc. Not applicable in this situation.

I do believe you meant to say a UPS (uninteruptable power supply). Buy the biggest & best one you can afford. Put your heater & one powerhead on it. Thank us after the power comes back on

tattooedracer

I used a power inverter thats plugs into car's cigarette lighter recepticle. It converts 12v to 110, i used it for 5 days after Hurricane Irene. It's not the best way but it saved my tank.

That depends on the temperature of the room and how much of the time the heater is on compared to off. It would run for about two hours if the heater was continually turned on.

The powerhead is more critical than the heater for shorter power cuts IMO.

The powerhead is more critical than the heater for shorter power cuts IMO.

How do you figure? I've left my PHs off after feeding for sometimes 2-3 hours with no problems. No heater can drop the tank 10 degrees in an hour. That'll kill most of the livestock.

no point in a heater if there is no powerhead to move the water it will just cook in one spot and create an uneven heat in your tank

corals can handle a drop of 10 degrees in a few hrs but not hot in one spot cold in another ......

the key to reefing is stability

up until this year I used a 700w inverter. when I lost power I cover the tank with a thick blanket plug in a powerhead and a heater (next to each other in the tank) run an extension cord to the inverter hooked to my car . every couple hrs I just start my car and charge up the battery for the next few hrs

did I mention this is a 120g tank and I live in maine!

I just upgraded to a 180 and bought a generator!

first things a reefer should buy --

GPS - to go and get great deals on corals from other reefers

generator- to keep our thousands of dollars in animals alive

how long could this un a tank?

a entire tank? 20 minutes

not nearly as long as you might think, but anything is better than nothing

This was just a example. I did say buy the best one you can afford. Before i bought a house, i had a monster UPS. It was custom build to keep systems running at work (back up to the back up). A few years later i bought a house.

1 week after we moved in & a few thousand later. Generator with all the relay goodies. If power goes out for more than 3 seconds, Generator kicks on till main power supply is restored & shuts it self off.

here is where i am at. This is my not yet perfected power outage plan.

I bought 5 battery operated minnow bucket air raiders from the local sporting goods store

i bought 12 flashlights and batteries to place on top of the tank to light corals'

i just need to run the heater for an extended time,,, (ideas?)

The corals would have been fine without lights for several days, and unless these are high-power LED flashlights they're not going to put out enough PAR anyway...

Without a generator your best bet is going to be an inverter like others have mentioned and 12V batteries (car, marine, or deep-cycle). When they die take them out and charge them with some jumper cables attached to your car.

How do you figure? I've left my PHs off after feeding for sometimes 2-3 hours with no problems. No heater can drop the tank 10 degrees in an hour. That'll kill most of the livestock.

It would have to be a very small tank in a very cold room to drop temperature that quickly

If a 20 gallon tank dropped temperature that quickly when the heater was turned off, you would need to be using about 400W continually to maintain its temperature day to day. Wrap the tank in a blanket or bubble wrap and you can slow the rate of cooling down to the point that a lack of flow will kill corals before things start dying from cold.

$129

image_11382.jpg

+1

for the price of the air pumps and flashlights you can buy a small inverter 200+w inverter cost like $25-$30

thats a 100w heater and a a couple powerheads on a small tank.

cover it with a blanket or towel and plug it in

if you are worried about the battery they have solar battery maintainers that cost like another $20

I'm not going to do the math to provide an example, but water is extremely good at retaining heat relative to most other things because it has a high heat capacity. So unless your tank is extremely small and your room temperature is below freezing, the transfer of heat from an 80 degree tank to the room will be quite slow.

Lack of oxygen is what will end up killing off almost every tank during a power outage. Gas exchange will be severely reduced from lack of circulation and without light most corals will begin consuming more oxygen as well, instead primarily performing photosynthesis. Oxygen supply decreases and demand increases so it's an all around bad scenario. FWIW unless you have an SPS dominant tank, a 10 degree drop won't kill most things. I've suffered multiple power outages lasting 24hr+ over the years and my tanks have been <70 degrees for prolonged periods of time with minimal die off. Softies, LPS, zoas, etc. are incredibly resilient.

i ran my tank for 8 hours on a two stroke generator like that. noisy as dirt bike, but kept the tank alive. but for the time from when the power goes out to when i get it started, i have a ups that lasts about 40 minutes running my mid day leds, and my power heads, nothing else. now i have my whole tank on that same one, and mid day with heater on, i should get maybe 12 minutes.

how does my emergency power outage plan sound???

Run the heater on the genarater above

light the tank with 15 flashlights

oxegynate with 10 minnow bucket air raiders

You have 800w of power if you get that generator. You should be able to run everything on the tank with it unless you have a ton of pumps and a 400w halide or something. Cheap generators actually work better wilth larger electrical loads (below the maximum rating, of course).

Archived