Cultivated Reef

Size of reservoir for BC29?

smai-tai

I just purchased a JBJ ATO system for my BC29. I am wondering what the best size reservoir is to fit inside my BC29 stand. It is the BC29 Stand that is made for it, not a custom built stand. Do most people use a 5gal tank or something else? I don't believe a 10gal will fit.

I used to have a 5 gallon jug but space was to tight for my liking so I just have a 1 gallon water bottle now.

I bought 2 and when one empties I just swap them out, they last 2 or 3 days. if I go on vacation for a week I bring back the 5 gallon.

I used to have a 5 gallon jug but space was to tight for my liking so I just have a 1 gallon water bottle now.

I bought 2 and when one empties I just swap them out, they last 2 or 3 days. if I go on vacation for a week I bring back the 5 gallon.

Yea, I was thinking about a jug of some sort. But a 5gal tank would fit so much nicer I think. The problem is the 5gal's are more than the 10gal's. So I was trying to see what the lest expensive way is, and the most efficient way. If all else fails I will just buy a 5gal I guess.

How do you guys mount your sensors in the bc29...I want to put mine in the 3rd chamber..

Mine is currently on order. But all of the research shows that most put the sensor in the 3rd chamber. I will most likely be doing the same thing. Seems to be the best.

I like the swap-ability of the jugs. one runs out i just swap it and fill the old one when I have time.

BUT, I also like the clean-ability of a covered 5G tank. how about a small storage container? like one for Dog food or I've also heard you can use the one's for charcoal storage.

Just some options.

Also, I have my float switch in the 3rd chamber, I suppose you could use the second but definitely not the first.

Seems like i tried that and the water would be dangerously high in the 3rd chamber..I do keep the water above the return hose outlet in the 3rd chamber but if i put there it would well above that..

Hmm is it Adjustable? I keep my water level in the Middle of that square hole in the wall between the 2nd and 3rd chamber. I found if I go any higher it will make a scum layer in chamber 2.

I'm new to the forum but if I can figure out how to post a pic I'll post one tonight.

Went with one of these boxes from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_79494-87825-FG0086...oductId=3068023

It holds a little over 4 gallons and it's clear plastic with a snap-on lid. I drilled a hole in the middle of the lid that I run the tubing and cord from the pump through. When I need to re-fill, I just slide it out, snap off the lid, fill with water and snap the lid back on. Having the lid keeps the water from evaporating. I also have a sensor in it and the other sensor is in chamber 3 and works great!

Went with one of these boxes from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_79494-87825-FG0086...oductId=3068023

It holds a little over 4 gallons and it's clear plastic with a snap-on lid. I drilled a hole in the middle of the lid that I run the tubing and cord from the pump through. When I need to re-fill, I just slide it out, snap off the lid, fill with water and snap the lid back on. Having the lid keeps the water from evaporating. I also have a sensor in it and the other sensor is in chamber 3 and works great!

Is this container rated to hold water? Or you just fill it about 3/4 of the way full or something?

Is this container rated to hold water? Or you just fill it about 3/4 of the way full or something?

Yep! I've been using it for over a couple of years now! I fill it all the way up! With the lid on, I only need to replenish it about twice a week.

Yep! I've been using it for over a couple of years now! I fill it all the way up! With the lid on, I only need to replenish it about twice a week.

Perfect! I think this is going to be the way for me to go. Thanks!

I'll send you a pic of my setup, what brand is yours?

JBJ thanks...need to figure this out..Got a 5g tank ready..Kind of torn between making a sump or ATO out of it..

JBJ thanks...need to figure this out..Got a 5g tank ready..Kind of torn between making a sump or ATO out of it..

see the attached, it's not my setup but this is what i'm talking about. are you mounting it like this?

post-72061-1327353340_thumb.jpg

see the attached, it's not my setup but this is what i'm talking about. are you mounting it like this?

That's my decomissioned Biocube 8. It's funny to see it pop up in a thread. In case anyone is wondering, that's one of those heat bendable pieces of plastic. I bought my ATO stuff from aquahub.com, but you can get that plastic at a craft store:

http://www.aquahub.com/store/moldaholder9.html

I'd suggest mounting it in the third chamber. I kept my water level high to keep my chaeto in the 2nd chamber partially submerged and I hated getting any dripping noises from the water falling.

i want to mount mine in the third chamber, however, i can't put it on the wall between chambers 2+3 because of the tunze skimmer magnet.... i think the only other place i could put it is on the wall that seperates the display and the back chambers..

anyone else use a tunze skimmer? I interested in knowing where u placed the sensor...

I can't remember the exact details of the back of a 29, but without any mods I'd say hanging it over the display wall is your best bet. You could also think about using a dremel to extend the slot for cables to escape. You could then hang the thing over the back edge.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could think about coating a rare-earth magnet in epoxy and then magnetically hold it through the back glass.

I can't remember the exact details of the back of a 29, but without any mods I'd say hanging it over the display wall is your best bet. You could also think about using a dremel to extend the slot for cables to escape. You could then hang the thing over the back edge.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could think about coating a rare-earth magnet in epoxy and then magnetically hold it through the back glass.

I think I am going to hang it on the back of the BC29 in Chamber 3. I have my hood lifted about a 1/4 +/- from the tank itself, so I think it will fit just fine. Otherwise I was going to dremel the hood to fit it. Since I have a fish saver, I don't think I will be able to mount it on the wall to the display.

I also have a BC29 and I us e a Tunze skimmer as well. What I used for my sensor is I super glued a magnet on the back of the holder. This way, I can adjust the height to where ever I want it and I don't use the plastic brackets. The other magnet sticks to the back of the BC wall and is strong enough to hold it in place.

Something similar to what StevieT did;

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232183

I also have a BC29 and I us e a Tunze skimmer as well. What I used for my sensor is I super glued a magnet on the back of the holder. This way, I can adjust the height to where ever I want it and I don't use the plastic brackets. The other magnet sticks to the back of the BC wall and is strong enough to hold it in place.

hey this is a great idea. where do you get the magnet??

I was thinking of this as well. But doesn't the new(er) JBJ ATO come with multiple height brackets for this now? not just one?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/jbj-a-...controller.html

Archived