inTank Media Baskets

Small Schooling Fish for a nano Reef

RDtrack

bhskicker18

Have you thought about Zebra Barred Dartfish? From what I have heard you can get 3 or 4 for a BC29. I have had two (not together) and they died from harrassment from other fish.

Captain Hook
Chromis are gonna pick one off until there is only 1 left. I started with 10 in my 75 now down to 4

+1....good luck with schooling fish in a nano

so you attribute your losses due to the size tank they were kept in?

No I attribute the losses to cardinalfish aggression due to pairing off.

As an alternative to dwarf dartfish (which I usually think is Aioliops megastigma), you could get either Eviota bifasciata or Trimma tevegae.

I like this. T. tevegae/caudomaculatum will get along in groups, stay small, and are easy as hell to keep. They are just hard to find.

Chromis hang out as juveniles but are tough as nails and kill each other as adults. They even bite divers when spawning. One look at a 5" adult C. viridis should convince anyone they do not belong in nanos.

How are the redspots doing now more then 1 month later neuwave?

I got screwed my local fish store kept telling that the fish were coming.....but never came. Apparently they did come but all died 2 weeks earlier and the only reason I found out is because one of the newer employees told me when I went in for salt. Even though the day before they said they are still waiting on the order. They could have just told me the truth but kept hiding it from me. Then told me we will never those again for you, go somewhere else. Pretty f-ed up to tell you the truth. But I found anther vendor that is going to contact me soon when he gets them in stock. He's gonna air freight them to me via the airport. I'll post in my thread when I get word.

Edited by neuwave
  • 6 years later...

So I Know This thread is seven years old but I thought I should offer up a piece of information. Masked Goby school. I have had two  groups of these awesome little fish and they form a little clouds in the open space of the tank. I have never had any problems with them picking on each other long as there’s plenty of rock work and corals they should be fine. In fact them being in a group made them work really well With other larger bossy fish. These guys stay at an inch or under And are highly underrated/used. 

Also... word on the street is ORA is breeding them

now. Really cool. Anyway there’s my little nugget of info. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Ian44 said:

So I Know This thread is seven years old but I thought I should offer up a piece of information. Masked Goby school. I have had two  groups of these awesome little fish and they form a little clouds in the open space of the tank. I have never had any problems with them picking on each other long as there’s plenty of rock work and corals they should be fine. In fact them being in a group made them work really well With other larger bossy fish. These guys stay at an inch or under And are highly underrated/used. 

Also... word on the street is ORA is breeding them

now. Really cool. Anyway there’s my little nugget of info. 

Nice.  Thanks for the info!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chromis don't do well in shoals in tanks of less than 100 gallons.  They tend to pick each other off over time until there is just one.  Added to that many of them ship with disease these days.  I would say the Zebra Barred Dartfish (ie a trio of them) would be the way to go if you are going to attempt it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 3:17 PM, Zane W said:

You could always try mollies?

Black mollies will group pretty well if you have a source for them already acclimated to salt, or want to acclimate them yourself.

On 1/23/2012 at 8:55 AM, RDtrack said:

Anyone have any other ideas besides cardinals that would look good as a school (3-4) in a nano reef?

Schooling fish (Saltwater) don't belong in a nano aquarium. Your going to need a larger boat (I mean a larger aquarium). :haha: