inTank Media Baskets

You Must Be Fearless!

Fearlessmoto

over 12 years ago i was given a 1 gallon hex for a goldfish, this particular tank bears a specific importance to me as this was THE tank that got me into aquariums, when i found this out in the garage i got this big evil smile on my face and a tear in my eye and i thought to myself, "time to live up to my nickname and do what i dared not do before!" now it will become a grand (though not grand scale) reef!

i pulled off the top and bottom black plastic frame for a completely clean rimless/frameless look, i found a newer small HOB filter to act as a hang on fuge (expirimenting with a micro fuge on a micro tank)

i will be getting a Hydor mini heater to heat it and the led lighting has been ordered coutesy of RapidLED.

i even went through my big pile o baserock (yes i actually have a big pile of dry baserock in my basement, ill post THAT story later) and found two pieces that looked perfect, anything else can be scavenged from my 20l

(that will be taken down soon)

HERE IS THE CONCEPT!

:P

post-71375-1327323288_thumb.jpg

Nice!

What sort of LEDs a PAR bulb? Stocking plans???

not a PAR bulb, DIY this tank is only 8"X8" so i am expirimenting with a 3X3watt led setup, one Royal blue, One Cyan, and one neutral white, they have 80 degree lenses and will be very close to the waters surface (<8inches)

stocking plans are zooanthids, a shrimp of some sort, and perhaps a small goby or dartfish. along with a tiny CuC, if the water parameters can be held with weekly water changes i will add SPS and a couple more LED's down the road, depends how well this goes, i am going to get it cycling today, the beauty of it is i can unplug everything and just pick it up if i want to move it LOL i love nano reefing , so much easier to move around. :P

Does the hexagon shaped tank bother your viewing angles?

not really, usually when i look at a tank i pick one thing to look at at a time, i can see everything from each individual pane, so i actually get better views all around, and like i said, the tank has sentimental value, i think it looks a lot better in person, almost like the tanks not there, just water, the pics don't do it justice.

Diy LEDs sounds awesome and just 3 LEDs would be so easy, is a fan even necessary???

Maybe a group of sexies! Would be cool in a tank this small

Diy LEDs sounds awesome and just 3 LEDs would be so easy, is a fan even necessary???

Maybe a group of sexies! Would be cool in a tank this small

THAT'S AN AWESOME IDEA!, I never even thought of them! i'm going to put in a fan so i get max life out of my investment in the led's. its a 4.25 X 3 inch heatsink, i will be building a mini hangover canopy for this and desktop baseplate for it to sit on

started building the baseplate, it will also be a light stand for the led lighting to be suspended over the tank approximately 6 inches. this canopy will house the LED's heatsink, fan and driver.

got the filter/fuge on too.

post-71375-1327370100_thumb.jpg

OK i have decided i am going to make the tank a sexy biotope! It is too small for a normal sized anemone so i am stocking with ricordias, and colorful zooanthids, possibly a piece of montipora because i have a soft spot for them :wub:

i wanted to stock 5-6 shrimp in this tank, they are pretty small so i don't think this will overcrowd them, i will

post which species of ZOO's Paly's and Ric's i plan on keeping, stay tuned!

FYI

I think that sexy shrimp will eat zoas sometimes... i remember reading that a few times, but you might wanna research that to be on the safe side

sounds like its gonna be a sweet little tank!

FYI

I think that sexy shrimp will eat zoas sometimes... i remember reading that a few times, but you might wanna research that to be on the safe side

sounds like its gonna be a sweet little tank!

allready ahead of you, went to sexyshrimp.com apparently they only go after corals if they are not fed daily, i can easily accomodate. they are reef safe so long as they are kept fat and happy!

allready ahead of you, went to sexyshrimp.com apparently they only go after corals if they are not fed daily, i can easily accomodate. they are reef safe so long as they are kept fat and happy!

Cool! fat and happy... just like me =) :D

quick add on and bump

allright quick cycling! the ammonia levels are already up and nitrates are rising (no nitrate for some reason though) this little tank should be good in no time!

I have decided to lose the power filter and build a small fuge onto this. the fuge will be 8" tall X4" deep X4" wide. the tank will overflow into it and return via a tiny pump, drilled through the back of the tank. will post pics of the build, i may have to drain this down to do the work.

Update:20120127

Pieced together the fuge box and siliconed it on, drilled the hole for the return pump and drained the tank down to just barely above the rocks so the tank can still cycle while i work. i will be adding a few inches from my 20L's gravel bed to the fuge, some small live rock and caularpa algae. this is going to be epic! (in a really small way!)

i also got the LED lighting in, just have to solder it together, (found out my soldering iron is broke, so i need to borrow one from my father in law to finish the job, but this should be good!)

sucky morning this morning, had everything running last night, came down this morning and the fuge was leaking all over the place, right at the bottom, i think im going to have to fork out and get a small glass tank to divide into a fuge and display, i will let the rock and stuff continue to cycle in here for now but i think this tank may be unusable at this point, oh well ill keep you posted, im heading into town today anyway we will see what i can find with my little bit of money.

OK im going to give up on the hex, don't have the time to continue with leaks.. <_< got a 2.5gal aga that i have divided into a fuge and display. this will be viewed from the end i think.pics soon

Archived