Coral Vue Hydros

JayPagi's Shallow Reef

JayPagi

Here is the thread on plantedtank.net:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-s...-pipe-sets.html

I haven't bought any yet, but am considering his lily pipes for my ada 4g shrimp tank. From what I've read, and heard, breaking during shipping isn't a problem with glass lily pipes. They should be cleaned out often, and while doing that, one slight knock on the kitchen sink will shatter them. I would imagine the acrylic pipes won't have a shatter problem, but will have a "scratch" problem, which is not a biggie to me.

I don't think I would enjoy removing the lily pipe constantly to clean it and re-install it just so it looks clear; aesthetically I'm not bothered by the green pipes and I imagine they are less of a hassle.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I would enjoy removing the lily pipe constantly to clean it and re-install it just so it looks clear; aesthetically I'm not bothered by the green pipes and I imagine they are less of a hassle.

LOL, uhhuh, another reason I haven't purchased them either......

My lily pipes are very easy to clean--I put a snail on the snout to clean it LOL...then I just stick my cleaning brush in it once...in-out, on with your life.

I got the silicone tube today--it's pretty big, I need to figure out what will fit in this tube inside to make it smaller...

My lily pipes are very easy to clean--I put a snail on the snout to clean it LOL...then I just stick my cleaning brush in it once...in-out, on with your life.

I got the silicone tube today--it's pretty big, I need to figure out what will fit in this tube inside to make it smaller...

Using a pipe cleaner brush would be a much better idea than taking them off all the time.

Do you want to make it smaller to connect to the pump or you just want to use a smaller tube overall? How big is the tube they sent... 3/8" or 1/2"? A small piece of 3/8" hard nylon tube will fit perfectly inside the pump outlet. I will post a picture of what I did later tonight for you.

They are so expensive... maybe down the road I'll pick one up but right now it's money spent on something that should go to corals.

gla makes them in glass that are the same as the ada ones but they are like a third of the price

I will post a picture of what I did later tonight for you.

Hey rbaby here is a picture of my Elos outlet. You can see how the one tube slips over the other and the tube on the inside fits inside the pump outlet.

6894303245_839b45232e_z.jpg

gla makes them in glass that are the same as the ada ones but they are like a third of the price

I will check those out... thanks alot.

Tank looks great Jay! I am going to vote for not changing to lily pipes. They are nice, but way over priced. I think the setup you have right now is perfect. Who cares if you have a small green tube? Once that sucker is filled to the gills with corals, nobody is going to care about it because it will no longer be the object that stands out.

I would look into a fiddler crab as suggested by others. An LFS has them and they are very cool. I was contemplating trying them before I took the tank down for the re-scaping, but decided against it because of my plans. You've got the scape for one, may as well look into the care requirements.

I really don't think anyone can pay you enough comments on that light fixture. It is beyond superb. Easily the best DIY LED fixture on NR. You did an excellent job on it.

Yeah I see that--that's how it fits on mine too but I worry that the outlet is so large that 1 dose is going to overflow my tank--do you have that worry at all?

ADA, Cal Aqua and GLA. Those were the ones that I looked at but I went with the Cal Aqua because it was a good median price between ADA and GLA and I read many reviews of users with GLA users claiming that the glass is thinner and breaks more easily. You only need the return Lily Pipe any way, the Eheim is better for the intake flow-wise.

Tank looks great Jay! I am going to vote for not changing to lily pipes. They are nice, but way over priced. I think the setup you have right now is perfect. Who cares if you have a small green tube? Once that sucker is filled to the gills with corals, nobody is going to care about it because it will no longer be the object that stands out.

I would look into a fiddler crab as suggested by others. An LFS has them and they are very cool. I was contemplating trying them before I took the tank down for the re-scaping, but decided against it because of my plans. You've got the scape for one, may as well look into the care requirements.

I really don't think anyone can pay you enough comments on that light fixture. It is beyond superb. Easily the best DIY LED fixture on NR. You did an excellent job on it.

I agree with the lily pipes I'm not going to buy any right now; I'll just focus on stocking the tank. Maybe down the road if the standard Eheim tube begins to bother me I'll pick one up. I'm going to entertain this fiddler crab idea but it will be a while before I'm ready for it; I still have a lot to learn about the corals and fish I plan to keep. Thanks for the kinds words about my light I just try to keep things simple and it happened to turn out really well.

Yeah I see that--that's how it fits on mine too but I worry that the outlet is so large that 1 dose is going to overflow my tank--do you have that worry at all?

I wouldn't worry about it too much but I would keep my water level about an inch down from the lip. The water does come out with some force so make sure the hose outlet is pointing into the tank so it doesn't end up on your floor. Set up the sensor so the water level is right in the middle of the white part and you won't have any issues with over filling. You may have to fine tune it after but that method worked well for me. I haven't been able to maintain a consistent level in the overflow the Elos doesn't operate fast enough to keep up.

Update...

I finished transferring over all the corals I wanted to keep from my 5.5 to my new tank this weekend. All that remains are a few left over frags of zoa's, GSP, aiptasia's and some wonderful macro algae. Still not sure what to do with them. I have some bio media style cycling in the old tank and it will be two more weeks before I transfer it over and finally tear down the 5.5. This weekend I also picked up a small colony of zoa's and two acan frags. I cannot for the life of me get a good close up photo under these lights; I need to play around more with the settings so I don't have any shots of the new additions. I did manage a new FTS...

6913790381_8fe19bbd5f_z.jpg

This tank, I love it. Seriously, it's hot ####.

Thanks Joel I appreciate it.

holy crow, guy. you're building one of the sickest tanks i've seen in a while.

Thanks bruinhd. Love the sig BTW.

corals?!?!

YAY :D

nice acans are they from johns?

Yeah I was in the area so I stopped in for a "quickie" and he had some acan frags; the bright green one looks amazing.

love the clean look of your tank.

Thanks Dipg and congrats on your TOTM last year your tank is amazing!

Need acan pics. Love the scape.

Yes agreed... need a macro lens! Thank-you.

Love the setup so clean and stylish :)

Thanks... nice to see a Toronto tank on here!

Archived