Pod Your Reef

40% WC brought death

Rastaman80

So i Did a water change yesteday to suck up all the detritus material inside the filter area. cleaned the power heads also. and i wake up to most of my snails on the floor upside down. one was actually torn apart by some one in there. im gonna do do some more investigation but what might cause this? i get my water from my LFS which has ocean water at hand. ive never had a problem with this water. ive been doing it this way for over a year now without any problems.

I do 40, 50, 60, or 70% water changes each week.

It was definitely your water. You make it, you control what goes into your tank.

I do 40, 50, 60, or 70% water changes each week.

It was definitely your water. You make it, you control what goes into your tank.

RO or RO/DI water at lfs store is okay just mix in your own salt and that would of been 100% better

altolamprologus

Have you tested your tank params? IMO if it's just the snails, it's probably somehting simple like the salinity was off and the big water change shocked them.

Make your own water like everyone is saying. Cheaper in the long run and you know what is going into your tank. I would never trust bottle of waters from a store. You don't know if it's really what it says or how long the water has been sitting in the gallon holder. Good Luck

Lmao I know right! Lfs guy- ahhhh it's ok water is water. Lol

But they have one of those big containers that holds like 1000 gallons of water and they say it's water that gets pumped from the ocean. Most of the LFSs here sell water like that so u don't have to mix it or anything it's even warm so it wouldn't be a shock when u put in the tank. Next I will check my params before it goes in.

I don't think it was the water. If it was the water, then the lfs would of encountered the same problem you did. Many people in our hobby use ocean water without a problem.

One thing is for sure: your 40% water change didn't kill ANYTHING.

Maybe you used bad water, maybe this, maybe that ... but properly executed 40% water changes DO NOT CAUSE DEATH IN ANY ORGANISM, EVER.

Your headline is erroneous and misleading to noobs who will now say they heard on the interwebz that water changes are dangerous.

Mr. Microscope

You never know. I heard about a guy with an 800 gallon tank who used ocean water. He did a water change and lost all of his stock. Later, he had the water tested. It turned out there was diesel fuel in it.

Funny%20fail%20pics%20photos%20images%20cat%20fish.jpg

You never know. I heard about a guy with an 800 gallon tank who used ocean water. He did a water change and lost all of his stock. Later, he had the water tested. It turned out there was diesel fuel in it.

This is what I was thinking. I was going to say, 'where did they get the water? BP, EXXON, or the gulf?'

Archived