ReefCleaners.org

~~~~ Filter Socks ~~~~

gupebreedr

Okay gang, in need of a little help please. I'm a noob when it comes to using filter socks and was wondering how you all clean yours? I've read a where some peeps wash them in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle, any other ways these can be cleaned safely? Is there a suggested life span on them? Lastly, how often do you change them, I'm swapping mine out twice a week?

Thanks in advance for your valued assistance.

Rob

US Marine Coral

I swap mine out every 3-4 days or right before the water level gets to the top of the sock. I remove it then turn it inside out and keep it soaking in a 5g bucket with 1:4 ratio of bleech to water. After I get 6 socks in the bucket I will throw them in the washer, add 1 cup of vinegar and do an a extra rinse cycle. I then let them air dry for 2 days and they are good to go. I replace them when they start to come apart which is usually after 4-5 months.

I swap mine out every 3-4 days or right before the water level gets to the top of the sock. I remove it then turn it inside out and keep it soaking in a 5g bucket with 1:4 ratio of bleech to water. After I get 6 socks in the bucket I will throw them in the washer, add 1 cup of vinegar and do an a extra rinse cycle. I then let them air dry for 2 days and they are good to go. I replace them when they start to come apart which is usually after 4-5 months.

Thank you for your help, tis greatly appreciated. So it really is okay to wash them in your washer. I was concerned that there may be residual detergent in the machine that may contaminate the socks. Will give it a shot. I have my extra's soaking in bleach as we speak.

Thanks again, I knew someone here would help. :) :) :)

Rob

I change mine every 3-4 days. I just rinse them out in the sink. I flip them inside out and use the spray nozzle directly on the bag. Flip over and rinse the other side. Then I let them air dry until the fresh one in the tank gets dirty.

I change mine every 3-4 days. I just rinse them out in the sink. I flip them inside out and use the spray nozzle directly on the bag. Flip over and rinse the other side. Then I let them air dry until the fresh one in the tank gets dirty.

Thanks Few, :) actually, that's what i was doing when I first started using them but was finding it difficult to get them clean along the seam lines. I always felt as though I was adding a dirty sock back into the system. I think I'm going to give the bleach, vinegar and washer I shot.

Thanks Few, :) actually, that's what i was doing when I first started using them but was finding it difficult to get them clean along the seam lines. I always felt as though I was adding a dirty sock back into the system. I think I'm going to give the bleach, vinegar and washer I shot.

wouldnt bleach be bad to use? Ive been just using the hose outside with a spray nossle. but its been getting cold. soi would like to try this bleach method, but i am a little skeptical about putting the socks in bleach.

phi delt reefer

i use 75 micron mesh socks. I rinse them with hot water after 3 days of use. I like to bleach them once a month to really clean them then rinse them really well with lots of water to remove the remnant bleach. bleaching gets them white again and seems to do a deep clean as well (ie. they last longer than 3 days)

if ur scared about bleach put the socks in your washer after a bleach soak them set the washer to hot wash with two rinse cycles. waste of water but it will definitely remove all traces of bleach. I just manually rinse them till i cant smell bleach then dry them out throughly.

i use 75 micron mesh socks. I rinse them with hot water after 3 days of use. I like to bleach them once a month to really clean them then rinse them really well with lots of water to remove the remnant bleach. bleaching gets them white again and seems to do a deep clean as well (ie. they last longer than 3 days)

if ur scared about bleach put the socks in your washer after a bleach soak them set the washer to hot wash with two rinse cycles. waste of water but it will definitely remove all traces of bleach. I just manually rinse them till i cant smell bleach then dry them out throughly.

that sounds legit. i figure if other people do it and if i'm extra cautious it shouldn't be a problem. my filter socks have a plastic ring on top is that alright to run in the washer ?

I maintain reef tanks for a living and I change about 50 socks a week. I wash them in the washing machine with bleach. When their done I add an overdose of Tap Water Conditioner or Stress Coat to the mix and let them run through a final time.

phi delt reefer
that sounds legit. i figure if other people do it and if i'm extra cautious it shouldn't be a problem. my filter socks have a plastic ring on top is that alright to run in the washer ?

plastic rings will be fine. they are pretty tough.

only time a sock has fallen apart on me has been at a seam where it wasnt sewn right.

Hey gang, thanks for the input on cleaning the socks. I'll start using the washer with an extra rinse cycle to clean mine. What about the useful time frame for them, is 4 to 5 months a pretty good estimate?

phi delt reefer

if u use mesh then they should last way longer than that. I have had mine for 6 months and they look brand new. just be careful when cleaning the seams and they should last years! I cycle between 6 socks but am ordering more so i can just clean them all once monthly vs. every week.

felt breaks down during each wash so its no good after a few uses.

I wash mine in the washing machine using Borax/Mule train wash booster. I figure since this is just Sodium borate and some people use it in home made buffer. It can't hurt the tank.

if u use mesh then they should last way longer than that. I have had mine for 6 months and they look brand new. just be careful when cleaning the seams and they should last years! I cycle between 6 socks but am ordering more so i can just clean them all once monthly vs. every week.

felt breaks down during each wash so its no good after a few uses.

Agreed felt is worthless especially washing them in the washing machine.

Archived