SaltCritters.com

Quick question

16bio

Ok so I have a 14 gallon biocube with 28 lbs of live rock in it. I just bought a biocube hqi 29 and I am wondering if I can just move everything into the new tank, or is there a special way of doing it.

Thanks in advance

I'd throw out most of the sand, keeping like a lb or so to seed the new sand.

Sand tends to build up detritus, and when you move it it gets mixed up and can release a lot into the water. You could rinse it, but that's such a hassle. Just get new sand.

I'd also add more rock now when you move it. Since you have so much live, getting dry rock isn't an issue. I suggest the eco rox from BRS. It's great interesting stuff.

Other than that you should be able to transfer everything at once.

I'd throw out most of the sand, keeping like a lb or so to seed the new sand.

Sand tends to build up detritus, and when you move it it gets mixed up and can release a lot into the water. You could rinse it, but that's such a hassle. Just get new sand.

I'd also add more rock now when you move it. Since you have so much live, getting dry rock isn't an issue. I suggest the eco rox from BRS. It's great interesting stuff.

Other than that you should be able to transfer everything at once.

So I need to buy,

new sand, should I get live or just regular?

dry rock, how does 15lbs sound?

Also should I run the tak with all the new stuff before I start transfering?

Thanks alot,

16bio

If it's dry rock it won't induce a cycle. I'd add dry sand, not live. It's not worth the extra expense because you can seed it with some of your live sand. I'd transfer and start it all at once, becuase you're not trying to cycle the tank with the new stuff and then add your old, but add your old so you don't have a cycle.

15#s doesn't say much, it may be plenty, or not enough, depending on how porous the rock is. Just get what you would like scape wise. You don't need a set #/gal.

If it's dry rock it won't induce a cycle. I'd add dry sand, not live. It's not worth the extra expense because you can seed it with some of your live sand. I'd transfer and start it all at once, becuase you're not trying to cycle the tank with the new stuff and then add your old, but add your old so you don't have a cycle.

15#s doesn't say much, it may be plenty, or not enough, depending on how porous the rock is. Just get what you would like scape wise. You don't need a set #/gal.

Thanks Asting, I have hit a snag though...I opened up the tank and it has a HUGE scratch across the front of it. I am hopefully getting it replaced in a day or two but still its a set back. I am hoping to get a frag or two out of the lfs because I will be driving 45 min- 1hr.

Ah that's too bad. I'd also siphen most of your old water out before you try to take the rock out that way you dont get lots of sand and detritus stirred up in it. I'd then use this old water to fill part of the new tank, but still acclimate your critters like its a new tank.

When I moved my 40 into a 65 ....

Had 2 big rubbermaid tubs. Siphoned out most of the 40. Removed corals, rock and fish. Tossed the old sand ( your LR is full of bacteria ). Put new sand in the 65 and plumed it all up. Placed my old rock, corals over the next couple hours (yes, they got dry at times). Filled the 65 with a mix of my old water and 30 gallons of new SW, tossed in the fish, turned on all the pumps and walked away from a cloudy mess.

Bout 3 hours later, water was almost totally clear, fish were swimming around and corals were mostly open.

This was two days later and zero issues.

IMG_29813.jpg

I just upgraded as well. I shut down the BC29 and went to a 56 and it went pretty well really. Mojorizn advice on this is pretty much the same procedure I followed. Just take your time and good luck with the new set up!

When I moved my 40 into a 65 ....

Had 2 big rubbermaid tubs. Siphoned out most of the 40. Removed corals, rock and fish. Tossed the old sand ( your LR is full of bacteria ). Put new sand in the 65 and plumed it all up. Placed my old rock, corals over the next couple hours (yes, they got dry at times). Filled the 65 with a mix of my old water and 30 gallons of new SW, tossed in the fish, turned on all the pumps and walked away from a cloudy mess.

Bout 3 hours later, water was almost totally clear, fish were swimming around and corals were mostly open.

This was two days later and zero issues.

IMG_29813.jpg

birdsnest and monti genus tank?

When I upgraded from a 16 to 29 gallon, I kept all the rocks and got completely new sand. I used as much old water from the old tank as I could without sucking a bunch of detritus and put everything right into the new tank. The additional water, if it's the same temperature and salinity, won't have any negative effects. Hope this helps :)

Archived