Pod Your Reef

New MP10 crapped out!

hawkingcolorado

Just set up my new tank...Set up MP10 according to instructions, set reef crest mode..It worked for approx. 20 minutes before crapping out..Got the red/green blinking light...Tried unplugging then powering up again. No good. Did a hard reboot..no good...Did everything according to the troubleshooting guide on the website, and nothing works....Dry side will not run,,,Wet side prop spins perfectly by hand.....For $285.00 This is what I get? I got mine from Marine Depot...I better get a replacement or a refund....From reading the forums, it seems like these things not working is not as infrequent as you might think.- VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER>>>

Hawkingcolorado is online now Report Post

Hi, Tim. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been experiencing with your new MP10 pump. We touched base with EcoTech Marine this morning regarding your situation and have been following threads on several aquarium message boards to see if others in the community were able to help you troubleshoot. It appears EcoTech Marine is shipping you a replacement MP10 today, though, which is awesome. EcoTech is a terrific company with outstanding customer service. If you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us directly at 1-800-566-FISH. Thanks again for shopping with us. Have a great Monday!

Hey man - I had a similar situation, marine depot did all they could and have outstanding customer service as does ecotech. Marine depot cannot however send you a replacement as all warranty issues are through ecotech. When I got two out of my three MP10s the motor wire was cut at the gromit to the driver exposing copper wire, a quick contact with ecotech and they had me two new dry sides shipped out and arrived the next day including a return postage label for the defective units. Just remember marine depot doesn't package the units only sells them according to ecotechs price guidelines and ships them, MarineDepot has outstood any other online vendor I have delt with for equipment & dry goods. And Ecotech also has exceptional customer Service, and goes above and beyond what most manufacturers would do(mostly because they are the only ones allowed to take care of warranty issues). Good luck man - once you get your pump running you'll fall in love.

Hey man - I had a similar situation, marine depot did all they could and have outstanding customer service as does ecotech. Marine depot cannot however send you a replacement as all warranty issues are through ecotech. When I got two out of my three MP10s the motor wire was cut at the gromit to the driver exposing copper wire, a quick contact with ecotech and they had me two new dry sides shipped out and arrived the next day including a return postage label for the defective units. Just remember marine depot doesn't package the units only sells them according to ecotechs price guidelines and ships them, MarineDepot has outstood any other online vendor I have delt with for equipment & dry goods. And Ecotech also has exceptional customer Service, and goes above and beyond what most manufacturers would do(mostly because they are the only ones allowed to take care of warranty issues). Good luck man - once you get your pump running you'll fall in love.

Thank you for your kind words, Deckoz2302, they are certainly appreciated! :P

Marine Depot did not manufacture the product, don't know why you would post this here.

Contact EcoTech has they handle warranty

hawkingcolorado
Marine Depot did not manufacture the product, don't know why you would post this here.

Contact EcoTech has they handle warranty

I posted it here because I bought it from MD...I was not sure of the procedure for an MP10 purchased at MD.

I have contacted Ecotech, and they are taking care of it. They do coordinate with MD on returns. Does that answer your question?

I posted it here because I bought it from MD...I was not sure of the procedure for an MP10 purchased at MD.

I have contacted Ecotech, and they are taking care of it. They do coordinate with MD on returns. Does that answer your question?

Reaching out to the aquarium community, the store you bought the product from along with manufacturer are logical first steps toward a resolution in a situation like this. We're accommodating with returns because a defective product isn't worth losing a customer over. Although, as you've learned here, there are some instances where we coordinate behind-the-scenes with the manufacturer. Every product manufacturer we partner with handles things a bit differently. EcoTech Marine are total nerds (in a good way) about testing their products and are very particular about quality control, so it's no surprise really they want to be involved in the return process. It benefits all parties involved and helps ensure their products are top-notch.

We joined Nano-Reef.com to connect with aquarium hobbyists and MD customers. We're glad you posted and that we were able to things squared away. I believe we may now be handling the exchange for you.

Reaching out to the aquarium community, the store you bought the product from along with manufacturer are logical first steps toward a resolution in a situation like this. We're accommodating with returns because a defective product isn't worth losing a customer over. Although, as you've learned here, there are some instances where we coordinate behind-the-scenes with the manufacturer. Every product manufacturer we partner with handles things a bit differently. EcoTech Marine are total nerds (in a good way) about testing their products and are very particular about quality control, so it's no surprise really they want to be involved in the return process. It benefits all parties involved and helps ensure their products are top-notch.

We joined Nano-Reef.com to connect with aquarium hobbyists and MD customers. We're glad you posted and that we were able to things squared away. I believe we may now be handling the exchange for you.

I'm sure you have looked, but since your posting I thought I'd add my brief experience. I bought an MP10w about a week ago. Immediately out of the box it did not work and has the same issue as stated by the OP. I did bot buy it from MD. I started searching and it seems that there are multiple reports of the same issue in the last several weeks. Ecotech shipped me out a new one with a box to send the broken one back. Easy. Maybe they just had a bad batch from the factory.

I'm sure you have looked, but since your posting I thought I'd add my brief experience. I bought an MP10w about a week ago. Immediately out of the box it did not work and has the same issue as stated by the OP. I did bot buy it from MD. I started searching and it seems that there are multiple reports of the same issue in the last several weeks. Ecotech shipped me out a new one with a box to send the broken one back. Easy. Maybe they just had a bad batch from the factory.

Hi, pschom. Thanks for the post and feedback. We (along with EcoTech Marine) are monitoring the situation closely. That's why it's useful when people in the aquarium community post online about these sorts of things. It's a catch-22, of course, because it doesn't exactly make us look good when we ship defective products. Nor does a manufacturer of EcoTech's caliber want to produce anything less than perfect. But by working together, we can isolate whatever the problem may be so future buyers don't experience the same issue. For those that have already been affected, the best thing we can do is to work closely with EcoTech to ensure we get the end-user a working pump, whether it comes from our warehouse or their warehouse. Any online aquarium supplier that isn't using conversations taking place on Nano-Reef.com and other aquarium message boards to better their business is really missing out. We visit Nano-Reef daily to stay on top of trends and monitor what people are saying about us and the products we carry. We might lurk more than we post - lol - but we are here and we're always listening. That sounded Big Brotherish and creepy, but we promise our intentions are good.

Any time MD, you guys have looked out for me on multiple occasions asside from the vortechs. So thank you for being around...now if you were only on the east coast :) haha just kidding.

Any time MD, you guys have looked out for me on multiple occasions asside from the vortechs. So thank you for being around...now if you were only on the east coast :) haha just kidding.

We feel you. Although we process and ship most orders same-day, the shipping speed you select and shipping courier discretion come into play. As online shoppers ourselves, we sympathize with customers who get frustrated when an order is nearby or even out for delivery but doesn't make it to your door. As long as the order arrives within the estimated delivery time (3-5 business days, for example), our hands are tied. We can assure you, however, that that we are already looking into ways to make shipping speeds faster and more affordable for all our U.S. customers, from coast-to-coast. Besides, you never know what could happen. We could open another facility down the street from you. ;)

hawkingcolorado
Is there anyone who hasn't had a problem with Vortech MP pumps? You guys are making me think twice about buying one

I setup my replacement MP10 last night..Working perfectly so far...It's really a great piece of equipment, and as I found out, and problems are dealt with immediately by Ecotech..I wouldn't let it put you off. - Tim

Is there anyone who hasn't had a problem with Vortech MP pumps? You guys are making me think twice about buying one

haven't had a problem yet, its been running for about 5 months

altolamprologus

I haven't had a problem with mine. No one makes threads that say "My MP10 is working perfectly" so it's easy to forget most people never have problems.

My new one is perfect. Must have been a bad batch? Buy it. Second coolest thing I've purchased. First being my AI SOL module.

Two wetsides died on me in the 9 months I've owned the thing. First one spun the square ceramic plate. Second one decided to lock up and the insides melted. Smelled horrible and I'm glad it didn't affect my inhabitants. Good customer service, but I doubt I'll buy another.

Two wetsides died on me in the 9 months I've owned the thing. First one spun the square ceramic plate. Second one decided to lock up and the insides melted. Smelled horrible and I'm glad it didn't affect my inhabitants. Good customer service, but I doubt I'll buy another.

What did you decide on for flow?

What did you decide on for flow?

I'm still using it. Hopefully this third wetside either keeps working or dies before the warranty is up. If it does I'm going to try to convince them to replace the wet and dry. They've told me they thought my magnet on the dryside is stronger than usual and that I should use the rubber spacer even though my glass is thick enough. I did that after the first one died, but the second one still crapped out.

Oh MD I've never had a problem with your shipping times - just wish some of my lfs had the options and customer service you guys have.

As far as everyone having problems with vortechs, the good outweighs the bad in my boad, just clean them regularly and make sure they are aligned properly, I remove mine weekly to clean the wetside in and out.

Archived