inTank Media Baskets

Fiji puffer?

ermaclob

went and picked up this little guy today,

2012-01-21170822.jpg

the guy in the fish store told me i could just feed him regular fish food and he'd be ok, but now that i read a little bit more about him i find he doesn't do good on normal fish food. and i should feed him other stuff that helps with his teeth. im pretty sure his going to start going after my snails and hermits.

i have No idea what to get for him to eat, anyone have some suggestions. web sites i find just say they eat hard shell creatures, will ghost shrimp do?

Should definitely read before you buy. Yeah he's gonna eat your snails and hermits.

yea but what do i give him after words?? do i just keep buying clean up crews

Will your LFS take returns? He might be better off there, if you can't provide him an adequate food source. But then again, they tohink he eats fish flakes, soooo..

Have you noticed him eating/picking at any of your snails or hermits?

Will your LFS take returns? He might be better off there, if you can't provide him an adequate food source. But then again, they tohink he eats fish flakes, soooo..

Have you noticed him eating/picking at any of your snails or hermits?

no they dont take returns, but y would i. i just need someone to tell me what to feed him. i only have flakes, so far he take no interest. hes probably still getting used to the tank. he hasn't eaten anyone....... yet

Definitely take him back, and do more research. I've had puffers for many years, and they are the most demanding fish, but quite rewarding. They do not have scales, so the water osmolates into their skin and body much quicker, thus requiring tip-top water quality.

They have a very specific diet. They are meat eaters who need a constant supply of snails to keep their teeth worn down (much like a beaver's). Their teeth are constantly growing, and if gotten too long, reduce and could hinder their ability to eat at all. They do not accept flake, pellet, or any other commercial "fish" food, save the specialized meatier kinds.

They are generally pretty shy creatures. But once acclimated and used to its environment, they're pretty hardy with the basic parameters.

So unless you can't meet all the above requirements, take that puffer back right now. And if you can, then enjoy! :happy:

Definitely take him back, and do more research. I've had puffers for many years, and they are the most demanding fish, but quite rewarding. They do not have scales, so the water osmolates into their skin and body much quicker, thus requiring tip-top water quality.

They have a very specific diet. They are meat eaters who need a constant supply of snails to keep their teeth worn down (much like a beaver's). Their teeth are constantly growing, and if gotten too long, reduce and could hinder their ability to eat at all. They do not accept flake, pellet, or any other commercial "fish" food, save the specialized meatier kinds.

They are generally pretty shy creatures. But once acclimated and used to its environment, they're pretty hardy with the basic parameters.

So unless you can't meet all the above requirements, take that puffer back right now. And if you can, then enjoy! :happy:

i really really reeeeally appreciate all the advise everyones given me, and i assure you that im going to take great care of that puffer.

BUT all i really want is for some one to please tell Specifically what i need to go out and buy him for food. i all ready know he does not eat flakes or pellets, and that i got to get him snails to grind his teeth on. but i still don't know what to get him for food. will anything that has a shell work, just snails??

Please the next person that has a puffer fish or just knows what they eat, just write "go out and buy him some insert answer here "

thanks

i really really reeeeally appreciate all the advise everyones given me, and i assure you that im going to take great care of that puffer.

BUT all i really want is for some one to please tell Specifically what i need to go out and buy him for food. i all ready know he does not eat flakes or pellets, and that i got to get him snails to grind his teeth on. but i still don't know what to get him for food. will anything that has a shell work, just snails??

Please the next person that has a puffer fish or just knows what they eat, just write "go out and buy him some insert answer here "

thanks

Heya I've have a Saddle Valentini Puffer for over 2 years now and i Feed mine the spectrum regular formula pellets( he accepted them from the start, but he was also eating them at the LFS) , freeze dried krill ( it helps with his teeth) , frozen mysis and Brine Shrimp. He also eats my snails at a rate of about 2-3 a month. I just simply replace the snails. So far he has left the hermits alone I believe the snails are just an easier target. I am not an expert but i hope this is helpful

thanks

I did.

Hi,

Go to the puffer forum and ask about your new fish there. Like others have said he will eat snails and crabs, puffers are molluscivores.

Even with a regular diet to help keep his teeth worn you might still have to periodically trim it's teeth.

Keep reading, there's a lot of info out there you just have to go looking for it.

Archived