inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 29 Protien Skimmer

primalurges

Ok so I've read a couple posts that on a 29 forget about protein skimmer that water changes will accomplish the same thing. I have the stock Biocube skimmed which as many of you know is quite flimsy. I also suspect it is likely not the most efficient. My question is is it so useless that I should just remove and not have to deal with the salt creap it creates? Does it actually do anything other than noise and make a mess?

Ok so I've read a couple posts that on a 29 forget about protein skimmer that water changes will accomplish the same thing. I have the stock Biocube skimmed which as many of you know is quite flimsy. I also suspect it is likely not the most efficient. My question is is it so useless that I should just remove and not have to deal with the salt creap it creates? Does it actually do anything other than noise and make a mess?

I unpluggedmy stock protein skimmer that we bought with the bc29 and replaced it with a tunze 9002 and I've been happy with it since.

It works because the principles it employs are rather simple. I had one running on my 20 gallon and would get yellowish colored water from it. HOWEVER, it is very finicky, needing just the right amount of air and just the right water level. Even if both of these are achieved than you'll only get wet skimmate. Since it is only a small counter current unit, its not THAT bad for $35. IDK if it's worth running if you're doing the water changes.

I've read about being able to adjust a aquaticlife 115 skimmer to the biocube with minimum modification. If you go to http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2856522 you can read the whole thing.

Archived