inTank Media Baskets

New to Forum/nano reefs

Water_man11

New to the forum and new to Nano-Reefs. Set up a 29g biocube late December. This is my first foray into reef tanks and saltwater since 1990. Lots has changed in 20 years. Since setting up I have added 30 lbs of LR, 3 dwarf hermits, 3 nerite snails, a peppermint shrimp, and a yellow watchman goby. The rock came out of an existing tank and I used that live sand which I had in the tank for 4 days before adding rock. Tests have 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Will do a water change this weekend with RO water. On the rock are some zoa polyps and star polyps. So far so good.

Was it too early for the goby?

Not really good with a camera, will try and get something up. I have some GHA, not too bad, the hermits and snails are doing pretty good at keeping up with it.

I used to keep macro algae in the reef tanks I did back 20 years ago, I liked the look and would harvest to keep nitrates in check. I am thinking about retro-fitting a fuge in the first chamber but lighting looks like it will be a pain. I looked at the treads and am not sure if I want to go that way. Anyone use led's for this sort of fuge lighting?

Not really good with a camera, will try and get something up. I have some GHA, not too bad, the hermits and snails are doing pretty good at keeping up with it.

I used to keep macro algae in the reef tanks I did back 20 years ago, I liked the look and would harvest to keep nitrates in check. I am thinking about retro-fitting a fuge in the first chamber but lighting looks like it will be a pain. I looked at the treads and am not sure if I want to go that way. Anyone use led's for this sort of fuge lighting?

I don't know if a fuge would work in the first chamber, but if you removed the bioballs in chamber two you could order a fuge basket from Intake and a submersible light (I think on backorder). It quality stuff!

Fuge Basket:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Biocube-29-Fu...sket-BC29FG.htm

Submersible Light:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10...Light-WTL10.htm

Hope this helps! Good luck on the build!

@Lostmindedv: that looks submersible LED looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Does anyone keep Caulerpa prolifera anymore. I used to use these in the reef tanks that I was running 20 years ago. I used to harvest it out every month or so. I liked prolifera, since it did not go to "seed" in the same manner that the other species would tend to do.

I also have a 550 gph pump moving extra water.

The goby diedhttp://www.nano-reef.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif. It was acting stressed (clamped fins, sitting still in odd spots for 10 minutes then thrashing about for a few about 10 to 15 seconds). I tested the water: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates slight reading, Ph 8.4, but Alk went down to 100, was holding steady at 180 prior.

Could the Alkalinity have stressed the goby out? I would think that a drop in alkalinity would also show a drop in Ph and the inverts would show stress. The other inverts in the tank are doing great. All the hermits molted with in days of one another a few days before, not sure if connected. I did a 4 gallon partial water change (RO water from LFS).

I do not want to mod my lighting, what are my options for LPS or other types of encrusting inverts on the rocks with the stock 29G?

The only Mod I see in my future is a fuge in the back.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the 29BC.

I now have 2 clowns: 1 ORA Ocellaris Clown and another tank raised Ocellaris.

A Fighting Conch

Skunk Shrimp

5 dwarf hermits

halloween hermit

2 astrea snails

3 nerite snails

1 long tentacle anenome, buried it's disc into the sand in a shelters spot, eats great, bigger than I thought it was when I bought it at the LFS.

Frags:

Green Shelf Monti (3 weeks and showing growth)

Toad Stool (showing growth)

5 types of Zoas (unsure what)

a small frag of 5 Discosoma Sp. (florescent green)

2 nepthea

I am doing 5 gallon water changes each week and have switched out the bio-balls to a media basket, Thanks for the link Lostmindedv! I am waiting for the submersible fuge light to be instock! InTank/Media Baskets is a great resource. I plan on starting with a mix of macros in the fuge and see what does best. Cheato will probably win.

I attached a few pics, the Zoas are hitch hikers, Any idea on the white ones, are they just bleached? I think one budded in the past couple of days.

post-71994-1329156259_thumb.jpg

post-71994-1329156273_thumb.jpg

post-71994-1329156294_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few new photos. So far everthing is looking real good.

Here are a few new photos. So far everthing is looking real good.

Here is another one.

Trying to upload a video of the clown hand feeding

post-71994-1329950157_thumb.jpg

Here is the green chalice montipora and leather toadstool.

I don't know if a fuge would work in the first chamber, but if you removed the bioballs in chamber two you could order a fuge basket from Intake and a submersible light (I think on backorder). It quality stuff!

Fuge Basket:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Biocube-29-Fu...sket-BC29FG.htm

Submersible Light:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10...Light-WTL10.htm

Hope this helps! Good luck on the build!

The submersible light is still out of stock, any other ideas for a light? I have tried to locate this light from another vender and have had no luck. Is there a light I could put over the fuge chamber? Or will I have to scrape?

Welcome to N/R. Sorry to here about the Goby. Unfortunately some things have not changed over the 20 years and that is fish will just die for no apparent reason. I doubt your alk was the problem. Could have been a unnoticed ammonia spike but that is merely speculation. I would not hesitate to try another goby. They are great little fish for this size tank.

The Macro algae of the times is Chaetomorpha. It does not have a tendency to go sexual and kill the tank like the old Caulerpa plus it takes up less room since it is happy to grow in ball. Most people will put it in the 2rd chamber of the BC with the submersible light you are trying to buy. Myself I used if for several years in my BC29 and recently went back to skimming and less water changes, Just because I am lazy and I personally have 4 tanks going.

You might consider supplementing your stock lighting with LED's. Exotica makes some nice useful LED's (Panorama Pro LED Module) that are not to expensive and can add some beneficial light. Of course there are other choice s out there. Myself I am not quite sold on LED's but if you want to keep the stock hood. LED's are the way to go since the heat is not as big a problem with them like other types of lighting.

Just an observation. The LTA will get very large if it is happy in your system. I have one in my BC29 under 150 MH and I have added stuff in around it that is easily removed if needed. In other words plan the tank around the LTA. I would also have some concerns that the stock lighting will not be enough for the LTA.

Oh! I like the little guy holding up the corals. That will be interesting once the corals grow out.

[quote name='Deano' date='Feb 23 2012, 04:04 PM' post='3754039'

You might consider supplementing your stock lighting with LED's. Exotica makes some nice useful LED's (Panorama Pro LED Module) that are not to expensive and can add some beneficial light. Of course there are other choice s out there. Myself I am not quite sold on LED's but if you want to keep the stock hood. LED's are the way to go since the heat is not as big a problem with them like other types of lighting.

Just an observation. The LTA will get very large if it is happy in your system. I have one in my BC29 under 150 MH and I have added stuff in around it that is easily removed if needed. In other words plan the tank around the LTA. I would also have some concerns that the stock lighting will not be enough for the LTA.

Oh! I like the little guy holding up the corals. That will be interesting once the corals grow out.

I am going to add leds after or when I put the ATO system in, I am going to Italy for 2.5 weeks and need the ATo for the people watching the tank. The LTA has claimed a spot and the tanks designed around that, so we know that game. The LTA is doing really well, I made the sand bed deeper and this was really helpful.. if in tank does not get that unserwter light, any other ideas, besides scraping?

Water_man11

In the past few days some new developmental. Purple calcium algae began growing on rocks and glass. A paly split off some new polyps. Also the LTA moved and firmly planted itself into a hole in the LR, a great spot, with a lot of light and very visible. The clowns are getting very curious of the LTA too!

post-71994-1330728985_thumb.jpg

Water_man11

Really need to upgrade the lighting soon. The Monti cap is Browning, stillgrowing, but loosing color. Just saw something, will post link and get comments shortly.

Water_man11

http://www.sunshine-systems.com/AquaPanel-...ap-26482-aq.htm

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...mmable-Kit.html

I think I am leaning toward the DIY Kit. If I went with the DIY, what lamp colors should I get?

What I want to do is retro fit this into the BC hood and keep the fans intact which will be for summer heat and to keep the heat sink inside the hood and with in the lens of the hood.

I saw a retro fit on a BC29 of a AI Sol Nano, I would do something like that for the AquaPanel if I went with that. That retro was cutting the top of the panel so that it was glued in with the heat sink out side of it.

Archived