Pod Your Reef

Clowns don't host?

bwalsdorf711

I have had 2 tank bred clown fish for about 6 months and they haven't host anything. Is that unusual? Picked up a BTA a few days ago so hoping that they will finally decide to host. Any tips/ suggestions? Thanks.

altolamprologus

A lot of times captive bred clowns won't host anything or they will take a long time to do so. You can print out pics of clowns hosting BTAs and tape them to your glass facing inward to encourage them to host, but it's not guaranteed. IMO it's better their not hosting. Clowns get aggressive once they start hosting

A lot of times captive bred clowns won't host anything or they will take a long time to do so. You can print out pics of clowns hosting BTAs and tape them to your glass facing inward to encourage them to host, but it's not guaranteed. IMO it's better their not hosting. Clowns get aggressive once they start hosting

Okay thanks!

SouthFlorida_Tron

My tank bred and wild pair hosted by a myth of a fluke attempt. back when dark of the moon came out (transformers) I taped a picture of clowns in a BTA right infront of them on the glass, got back from the movie, and viola.... good luck.

kriskristofferzen

My female tank raised ORA clown has monopolized by BTA. Took a few months, I tried the whole picture thing, I cant say if it worked. All I know is that the male is never near the anemone, only the female. Hierarchy I guess. Hope they hook up for you! It was pretty cool to see it happen the first time and still is today as well.

Having a real anemone is a whole lot more convincing in my experience. I got my tank-raised pair to host my BTAs quite easily. Just put the anemone where the clownfish sleeps and they will have to confront it. Hope for the Best!

My tank raised clowns hosted as soon as I fed. Maybe try using a baster to lure them in with food?

I have two BTA's and the male isn't allowed in either of them. Female took them both over. #####es (Females) be crazy!

photo-17.jpg

This is true. My tank raised percs jumped in my RBTA only two days after being introduced to my tank. I thought I was lucky. But once they were hosted, the female bit my hand EVERY time I had to go in the tank. Now of course its not that bad for me (kinda cute really), but I lost a Helfrichi because of them. The RBTA outgrew my tank. Literally, the day after I sold it, the clowns were back to being docile. Its different for everyone though.

Give them time. As SOON as they rub against it, they'll fall in love.

I got a pair in a 10gal by themselves(well there is a scooter blenny) they seem to more host the tank as a whole. Swim through some xenia, lay on a shroom, flicker in the frogspawn. I think the more they can be comfortable(eg: species only tank) the less they need to truely host something for a defensive area.

Archived